How much safer are 8 airbag cars!

Page 1 / 2
aboylikedave, Dec 4, 9:08am
Many European cars have 8 airbags and a higher safety rating.But does anyone know how much this actually counts for in reality!

remap, Dec 4, 9:16am
i think the answer is self explanatory isnt it. higher crash rating is safer, more airbags = safer, fancy crashing a car with no airbags, crumple zones etc. No thanks!

crzyhrse, Dec 4, 9:16am
My personal opinion is that airbags count for little in the real world. Perhaps, if you're running around crashing all the time it may be of some benefit but then you should probably just stop driving. And, yes, I know there will be people that claim it's to protect you from all the other idiots but that's a misnomer.

gadgit3, Dec 4, 9:32am
And then theres the people put into an ambulance after a minor crash with 2nd degree burns from the air bag propellant. safer . maybe

vtecintegra, Dec 4, 11:03am
Source!

gadgit3, Dec 4, 6:52pm
Nothing published. But got mates that are Cops and Fireman that attened plenty of accendents and been told the stories, also been on air bag training were a few pic's have been displayed to show the hazzards.

sifty, Dec 4, 6:57pm
I just worry that people think "Oh I've got traction control, stability control and umpteen air bags, I don't need to take care when driving"

Those crappy 'how safe is your car' ads don't help. Pander to the numpties.

romulan7, Dec 4, 6:58pm
Also the airbag protects from the first impact not the secondary impacts involved in rolling etc.To a certain extent the secondary impacts set off the undeployed airbags.

This kind of stuff never really gets openly reported because people are lead to believe Airbags are the ultimate in safe.

amberjandal, Dec 4, 7:04pm
I would much rather have a 2nd degree burn on my arm and be alive. there is no doubt that modern cars are safer. Give me air bags any day of the week.

rob_man, Dec 4, 7:07pm
Don't fancy crashing in a car at all thanks, is it a hobby of yours!

sifty, Dec 4, 7:09pm
I dunno. A modern car that hits a tree is probably not as safe as a 40 yr old Holden that doesn't.

Still comes down to the driving folks. I hate the term 'accident' as 99.999% of the time any incident comes down to carelessless, inattention or making poor choices.

skin1235, Dec 4, 7:13pm
the old 52 chevy had none, how many died in 52 chevies, suffice to warrant all cars having them!, they're designing cars today that are built to survive a crash of X magnitude, what happened to building cars that were designed to drive without crashing into things, the chevy had no crumple zones, no side intrusion bars, no air bags, head restraints or triplex safety glass, and you drove them accordingly, you skilled up to avoid running off the road or into other vehicles etc

skiff1, Dec 4, 7:46pm
Guy pulled out of a drivway in front of me, i hit him at 100 KPH. No damage to me whatsoever. yeah airbags are a waste of time. You dont have to crash "all the time" just one can kill you.
PS look up the word misnomer in the dictionary

sifty, Dec 4, 7:47pm
maybe you should have been driving defensively!

skiff1, Dec 4, 8:32pm
good point, tell me how you would cope when someone stops at the end of their drive way, looks at you, makes eye contact and then gasses it right in front of you! keen to hear your advice

skiff1, Dec 4, 8:33pm
yes but often on the part of someone else

richardmayes, Dec 4, 8:47pm
The designers are not idiots, in a crash having these things is better than not having them.

Yes there is an element of luck in crashes, but to a certain extent you can make your own luck be being in something strong and well-designed.

I've had one serious crash in my career and I was completely uninjured despite driving a car built in 1977 that did NOT have airbags.but it DID have crumple zones front and rear, and plenty of good thick steel in the middle, which I believe is the main reason I walked away after an SUV going 100km/h went up the back of me while I and the rest of the traffic was doing 50km/h.
(This was a Triumph 2000)

skiff1, Dec 4, 8:53pm
You survived because God thought you had been punished enough owning a Triumph
you are right though

crzyhrse, Dec 4, 9:42pm
Absolutely.

gadgit3, Dec 4, 10:27pm
Yea a 2nd degree burn is better then death. thats a given but in minor crashes where you may have just had a bump on the head but because of the knee air bag going off and you sit closer beacuse you are short you end up with burns to your lower limbs. not going to be the case in every minor BUT I'll stick to my first statement more air bags. safer.maybe

sheepey, Dec 4, 10:33pm
It's all about the money.
Fact is motor vehicles of any description have never been designed to be aimed at each other,when your times up it's up!

stevexc, Dec 4, 11:56pm
I won't even ride in a car with airbags.The volume when they go off is 170db (same loudness as a cannon) and the last thing I want is the ringing in my ears getting worse.

romulan7, Dec 5, 12:08am
The term accident is no longer used by police and emergency services for that reason.

sr2, Dec 5, 2:07am
As much as I usually enjoy crzyhrse??

vtecintegra, Dec 5, 2:24am
I can tell you that even in a fairly minor collision the impact itself is pretty loud even without airbags. Perhaps you should just avoid riding in cars altogether.