Plate question

typhoon666, Jul 17, 8:50am
If you purchase a personalised plate off trade me can you get it remade into a black plate with silver writing like the old plates used to be?

saxman99, Jul 17, 9:04am
Yes you can, but this is not legal.

franc123, Jul 17, 9:17am
You can't get any plate remanufactured in the old style by the plate manufacturer as they obviously don't make them in that format any longer, and unfortunately a PP is not allowed to be converted into the pre 1987 style either, it has to be displayed how PP made it. A regular govt issue plate however can be displayed in either format regardless of how it was originally made.

2sheddies, Jul 17, 9:24am
So you're legally allowed to buy a couple of cans of VHT from Repco and recolour your standard black on white post '87 plates in the previous silver on black? I've seen one or two cars about the place with that done, and thought well that can't be legal surely.

franc123, Jul 17, 10:00am
Yes you can, although anybody with standards wouldn't be using a product like VHT to do it with. You also wouldn't be spraying directly over the reflectorized material either but that's a whole other subject. IMO it looks stupid on vehicles that were clearly made after that date but fine on old cars if its done right with the correct semigloss black and a OEM style finish is achieved on the lettering.

morrisjvan, Jul 17, 10:26am
you're not allowed to alter your plates, and why would you want to?

typhoon666, Jul 17, 10:46am
Thanks for your input

2sheddies, Jan 29, 8:22am
Cheers for that. I agree it looks silly on a modern vehicle, and I do wonder if it would cause some conjecture come each wof time, as we all know not all inspectors read from the same rule book. Which is why it's probably best to simply leave things well alone.