ABS Plastic Welding at home ( Motorcycle Fairings

dingo011, Dec 9, 2:24am
Check out this youtube video on repairing ABS type plastics. I have unsuccessfully tried nearly every glue known to man on bike fairings. Some seem to work for a while before either cracking or breaking again. Even resin and glass mat doesn't seem to want to stick that well. I had a retaining lug that holds the front indicator fail and the light assembly fell out during a ride. I was lucky that the wires stopped it hitting the road. It had been glued by a previous owner at some point! I did as per the video and it is now repaired. I thought others on here would find this helpful. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k

tigertim20, Dec 9, 3:45am
heat gun + a piece of very fine metal mesh works better.

go from the underide, apply heat, but not so uch that the paint on the top bubbles.

once its heated, lay on your cut out piece of mesh, and re-apply heat. use a screwdriver or other tool to GENTLY push the mesh into the plastic.

Allows it to remain both flexible and strong.

Nothing is as good a getting it plastic welded properly though!

Im fortunate enough that one of my best mates is a plastics fabricator so I get it all done properly for free.

tony9, Jul 12, 9:03am
Soldering iron is not really hot enough. Heat gun or fine propane torch works better.