NZ NEW VS IMPORT

Page 1 / 2
pure_drop, Sep 8, 6:38am
Hi,
I just wanted to know if NZ new (used) vehicles have the same problems/issues as an imported vehicle? For example an imported E53 BMW X5 (assembled in South Carolina) is known to have transfer case problems. Would a NZ new X5 be the same?
Cheers!

v8_mopar, Sep 8, 6:51am
A modern NZ new would have been made in the same factory. Same factory same faults!

Don't know what the last car to be made in NZ was but prob a Triumph 2500. These had some NZ made parts so could have had different faults.

pure_drop, Sep 8, 6:57am
Ah right! I'm just a bit confused as to the proper meaning of NZ new. So a NZ new vehicle doesn't mean it was assembled here?

v8_mopar, Sep 8, 6:59am
#3 No, these days it means it was sold as a new car in NZ but still imported.

petal_91, Sep 8, 7:04am
The E36 and E39 models destined for the Japanese market were built in Germany, but had some Japanese components, such as using reliable Japan Automatic Transmission Company (JATCO) autoboxes.

pure_drop, Sep 8, 7:08am
Got it now - cheers v8_mopar :D

v8_mopar, Sep 8, 9:00am
#6 all goods

Anyone know if the Triumph was the last car assembled in New Zealand. The last one build would have been 1978.

franc123, Sep 8, 9:16am
No, far from it, the local assembly industry took a long time to be wound up, Honda and Toyota were the last assemblers left, the last cars were built in 1998 or thereabouts. Ford/Mazda, Mitsi and Nissan were only just prior to that. The last Brit/Euro car to have been built here was probably the Sierra wagons until the old Seaview plant in the Hutt got closed in 1988. As for the Triumph yes I believe it was the 2500S, if memory serves NZMC did one batch in early 1979 at Nelson to use up what kits they had left, the plant however continued to build Civics and Accords, Land rover, Jag XJ6, Austin Princess, Rover SD1, and a few Minis too were also built at different times during that period. The Triumph 2500 had effectively been replaced in the UK by the Rover some time earlier so the ones here were the last built anywhere.

gjmman, Sep 8, 9:17am
CKD Toyotas were assembled in Thames until 1998.

v8_mopar, Sep 8, 9:30am
#8 well that took me by surprise. Had no idea they assembled so many jap cars here.

oliver6, Sep 8, 9:33am
I was a car dealer in the 80s. I remember that when we had say a Daihatsu in stock, we would put it on the street frontage with a " Japanese Assembled " sign and it would sell quickly.
The NZ assembled Toyotas all dissolved after 3 years.

bwg11, Sep 8, 9:50am
And Nissans at Wiri until July 1998.

franc123, Sep 8, 9:51am
Yes there was a huge variety of different models built but usually in a limited range of variants and then mostly the more basic models. I remember the interiors were full of blank inserts that filled in the holes for where the electric switches and dials went in the Jap spec models. It is quite funny looking back, cars like that wouldn't be saleable now.

tamarillo, Sep 8, 9:59am
I thought the Honda plant in nelson was last to go in 98. Bought a 98 accord from one of the nelson engineering businesses that closed up as a result. it was a really really good car.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 8:56pm
Pure drop--I have NO specific experience with US manufactured or assembled BMW X5's
BUT I do have experience with various other US manufactured Makes and models.
The USA has a law saying that any vehicles sold in the US are required to have a certain percentage of the vehicle manufactured in the USA.
There are several models where the US version gives issues but the same model manufactured back in the "motherland" is fine.

westwyn, Sep 8, 9:21pm
Kaz, that's not quite correct. There's no law stipulating a "local content percentage" for cars sold new in the United States- otherwise how else do you explain the significant volumes of motor vehicles assembled overseas and imported fully built-up into the States every year? (including quite a number sold under the "domestic" brands).

There IS however a tariff (duty) applicable on all fully-built-up new vehicles imported into the United States UNLESS there is a significant "local content" within- I believe in 2002 or so it was set at 62%- aimed specifically at the Canadian and Mexican assembly plants where cheaper labour, land and compliance costs undercut the traditional Detroit and South manufacturing bases. For example- Dodge used to (and may still, but I'm not 100% sure) manufacture the bulk of the Ram 1500 production in Mexico, while Kenworth have a significant plant in Saint Therese, Quebec, using frames, engines, drivetrains etc supplied from "south of the Border".

With the relatively high cost of manufacturing a car in the States, even with a tariff structure in place, it clearly makes economic sense for many brands to import much, if not all, of their product in fully built-up. It's a large part of the Japanese export drive!

mainlander05, Sep 8, 10:14pm
Went to the ford/Mazda assembly plant in wiri.
Mate I t ell ya.pissed Samoan or high tech map assembler?
I'd pick jappo every time.
We could get a new ford and pick a hundred faults.
Shocking workers.

robotnik, Sep 8, 10:15pm
There is the famous US Chicken Tax which puts a 25% duty on the importation of foreign light trucks.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/12/chicken-tax-history-read-this/ http://www.wired.com/2014/12/subaru-brat/

If that tax was repealed I doubt Amercans will be jumping into HiLuxes and Amaroks in large numbers though. Not when the Ford F-series is so good. Also most foreign pickups are too small for Americans.

bryshaw, Sep 8, 10:45pm
I don't know about other makes, but with Honda NZ new, bought from a Honda dealer, the maintenance history is readily available.

westwyn, Sep 8, 11:49pm
Toyota designed and build the T-100 specifically for the US market, while Nissan have the Titan (which for a while held the bragging rights for light-duty truck towing capacity), both full-sized pickups. However, both have suffered through the lack of a diesel engine, heavy-duty versions and parochial mid-American buying tastes. East of the Rockies and west of the Beltway, the "Falcon versus Commodore" debates we have are "Ram versus F-Series" for the average American!

tamarillo, Sep 8, 11:55pm
This is an important difference. You can see its wof history and often it's service history.
Plus sometimes locally sold cars are specced for our market, either specifically or in conjunction with Aussie. Engine and suspension tuning can be quite different from second hand imports, as can be spec.
To some that counts, others don't care.

brapbrap8, Sep 9, 12:42am
Yes I was shocked when I was looking at buying a late model import, at how some brands JDM cars are really lacking in safety features we expect in NZ.
Looked at a top of the range, 2011 Subaru Impreza sedan that only had 2 airbags, and no one was sure if it had stability control or not either.
NZ new Subarus have had 6+ airbags as well as all the electronics since 2008 I think it was.
Most of the late model Mazda Atenzas and other brands I looked at were the same too, only 2 airbags.

I decided to buy a brand new car rather than a used import to get the spec I wanted, and because I do very high mileage so having an efficient new car with a good warranty will most likely be cheaper to own and easier to resell later.

richardmayes, Sep 9, 1:51am
You see a lot of late 1970s / early 1980s Hondas painted in the same almond (yellow/light brown) colour that was also used on 1970s Triumphs, Rovers and Jaguars.

There must have been several pallets of that paint left behind in a store room somewhere, when Honda took over the Nelson assembly plant. ?

kazbanz, Sep 9, 2:16am
For some reason I thought the tax was higher.
So US LAW says any vehicle imported fully built up attracts a Tax of 25%
Which is why so many manufacturers decided it was best to just set up factories in the US.

robotnik, Sep 9, 3:15am
The tariff is 25% for light trucks, but only 2.5% on cars (from Japan, not sure about other countries).