Would you buy a car someone died in?

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Feb 13, 6:53am
I would. No problem at all, as long as it was properly repaired and groomed.
What do you think?

henderson_guy, Feb 13, 7:00am
As in a fatal accident? Probably not, as I'd imagine there would be some pretty serious structural issues with it.
Otherwise, why not?

edangus, Feb 13, 7:01am
Depends on the Death (as above). Drive By. maybe.

gtrb26, Feb 13, 7:03am
A mate had one that had a bullet hole in the roof, did need a new drivers seat and headliner.

lissa25, Feb 13, 7:03am
Sure would, no issue at all since death is a part of life. I'm guessing James Deans Porsche would be worth a fair bit.

monaro17, Feb 13, 7:05am
probably- i don't see why not

serf407, Feb 13, 7:06am
Brock's Daytona Coupe is an example of this dilemma.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/brock-death-car-to-be-museum-piece-20070213-1406e.html

It is a case by case thing.

tgray, Feb 13, 7:10am
One was offered to me where the driver died due to a rear collision. It was professionally repaired but the price wasn't right so I didn't buy it. The fact the driver died made no difference to my decision. Sad, but not an issue for me as far as buying the car or not. I couldn't see what difference it would make.
My wife however is freaking out and saying I am cold and callous.

franc123, Feb 13, 7:12am
I don't have an issue with it, but it IS a bit creepy if you know a bit too much about what happened and the incident is still a bit 'fresh' if you know what I mean. Having worked for a company that had a tow and salvage division which naturally had to deal with fatal crashes and retrieving vehicles from remote places where suicides had taken place, its just not a nice thing to think about, worse when there was still bloodstaining in the cabin. One old Diamante had really sooty and blackened windows on the inside after a CO poisoning of the occupant and it made you reluctant to go near it, it looked a little like Stephen Kings Christine when she came back to the workshop after being on fire and killing the guys in the Camaro, if you know the book/film. Spooky stuff.

tub4, Feb 13, 7:14am
A friend brought a bike that killed a guy and rebuilt it, I took it to an uncle and he blessed it. It was fine and my mate's still riding it

paulybboy, Feb 13, 7:42am
I seen a car at a tow yard that had been recovered from a suicide,
car stunk that much from body sitting in the bush for some time,
Five or so years later that same car comes into work for some paint work,
someone was still driving it around

a.woodrow, Feb 13, 8:01am
A dealer I worked at traded a car that someone had gassed themselves in, new owner bought it and loved it, didn't know the history. I got in it one day to shift it, sure I could still smell a faint whiff of exhaust in it.

stevo2, Feb 13, 8:06am
I've bought and repaired and owned 2 write offs in the past. Dont know if anybody died in them and dont really care. A car is a car.

poppy62, Feb 13, 8:47am
Actually his car (L'il Bastard) is worth a read if you haven't read it already.

http://jalopnik.com/5113390/the-curse-of-james-deans-little-bastard

millerz08, Feb 13, 9:34pm
No.

A few years back my husband had a vehicle in at his work, it had a bullet hole through the roof.
Usually these cars taken away to be crushed, but this one wasn't it got repaired by another company and most likely on sold.
Hate that thought, and I would hate to be a family member that passes by that car on the road at some stage.

mike1345, Feb 13, 9:36pm
Yes, no worries.

Unless they'd been dead in it for a while in the hot sun.

tamarillo, Feb 13, 9:40pm
Yes, many houses will have had a death in, more so for anyone from older countries. Ever been in hospital?
Reason is more concerning, if it's due to fatal accident then of course that is whole new question, would you buy car been in a big smash?

gmphil, Feb 13, 10:40pm
mate used to have a chev truck complete with bullet holes . story went was belonging to crims in got shot up he used to rent to people makin movies
guessin poss someone died didn't worry him lol

elect70, Feb 14, 2:41am
If it had been a gangsters car & had bullet holes in it would be worth having .

gunhand, Feb 14, 3:14am
Hmmm which brand of bike was this, I want to steer clear of murdering motorcycles. Wouldn't have thought it would have a religion, being metal and plastic, to be bothered to much by someone woffleing over it and therefore not killing agian.
How did you know what religion it was so that you could bless it correctly? did it tell ya?

gabbysnana, Feb 14, 7:06am
smell never leaves.

lissa25, Feb 14, 7:22am
Spooky, I didn't realise it had such a checkered history.

tgray, Feb 14, 7:38am
All hype.

lissa25, Feb 14, 7:50am
Isn't that what they call provenance?

rsr72, Feb 15, 8:25am
There's a chance someone died in the house you bought, and indeed in your bedroom, if it's an older house.
Would many thousands of homeowners want to know that?