Ice road truckers?

Page 1 / 2
skiff1, Apr 5, 10:37am
Is it just me, or do these guys (and girls) head off into the scrub it completely inadequate trucks? Chains on one axle, no evidence of cross-locks, no winches? I am no truckie so I am happy to be corrected, but the whole job seems pretty sloppy.

r.g.nixon, Apr 5, 11:02am
And no ejector seat for when a truck crashes through the ice during an ice lake/river crossing!

tintop, Apr 5, 11:36am
Yes - strikes me as a mob of slap happy owner drivers, but how would a professionally well managed corporate fleet of modern trucks adapted for the conditions make entertaining TV viewing ?

strobo, Apr 5, 5:18pm
Hugh Rowland,Darrell Ward & Alex Debogorski hard cases lol,
Didn't know squeaky clean Alex wrote off a whole rig & got sacked from Polar ! or did he just leave?

berg, Apr 5, 7:52pm
I think Alex left rather than getting fired. Writing a truck off on those roads is just a normal, accepted, every day hazzard.
Why somebody hasn't fronted with an 8x8, all wheel drive Scania or Volvo is beyond me.

mrfxit, Apr 5, 7:59pm
See some with twin dual wheel chains
Some with 1 set dual chains & a single wheel set behind.
Yea would have thought a winch system to be compulsory, tho winching 40T on ice could be problematic .
Bit surprised at the speeds they do on the rough roads, some of their cargo must get knocked about at times.

I can understand how Lisa lost that dual wheel set on the pipe dolly without knowing but surprised at how fast it slipped off once it started.
Nighttime & the dolly approx 100 meters back plus rough-ish roads

Something not right there tho because did anybody else notice the wheel studs were not damaged at all.

skull, Apr 5, 8:12pm
It's like those wrestling shows, they are making a story up as they go, parts are real and parts are there to entertain.

mrfxit, Apr 5, 8:42pm
Yep of course, have to make the show entertaining

intrade, Apr 5, 9:13pm
i think i seen most of it in europe there is also axe man where they harvest trees for a similar tv series , and there is gold-rush in alaska with some smurfs building there own gold wash system you dont really think mutch as to how much of it is made for tv or not when you whatch it .
But i can tell you this much from a usa automotive magazin i read they where aproached to have made a car series and they wanted a immage of a car dealer smoking a cigar and a old stinkyng dog on the car sales jard as that is what the tv series makers did think a car dealer should be like in the 70 and 80s. They said no we dont do that as thats not how it is today its not reflecting today. etc. You wont be selling cars with a scary old stinking dog to todays people.

mugenb20b, Apr 5, 9:47pm
+1000

jesus2000, Apr 5, 9:57pm
Exactly. I know someone that used to drive freight trucks over there on those roads and he says that programme is a load of over dramatized BS.

skiff1, Apr 5, 11:11pm
european trucks!? The Americans would only be slightly less likely to drive a Kamaz

philltauranga, Apr 5, 11:55pm
Any truckie who watches it can see through the BS, a great example is when you see the trailer "drift or slide" into the snow banks,but if you watch close you see the wheels on the trailer lock up so you know the driver just yanked the trailer brake to start the slide, then the driver is all. wow that was so close . bla bla, total BS in most cases but hey trucking isn't that exiting so to make a 7 season tv show you got to add these so people will watch.
I also thought why don't they run 6x6 which the yanks do make but then who would watch a truck driving effortless around in the snow. boring as fuk.
The old hillbilly "king of obsolete" with the old Detroit 2 stroke powered Ford will be back on next show he was good value.

mrfxit, Apr 6, 12:32am
Fair call on the truck types but then again, they do have to limit their gross weights with those ice crossings.

Yea theres a fair bit of over dramatizing & probably a few setups done but when you see past all that, it's still a cold & semi to very dangerous job if they screw up properly.
Those rig's tipped over on the road sides would be real enough & it's not hard to get stuck in snow banks.
it's not like they can run studded tyres & chains are only a little better then no chains when running on hard show/ice

terry012, Apr 6, 12:56am
Diff locks and cross locks are only a flick of the switch, chains fitted to second drive axle is because its always driving. No different to us barreling across the desert road or Waiouru when its snowing.

gjmman, Apr 6, 1:00am

carclan, Apr 6, 3:03am
Maybe a Kamaz

elect70, Apr 6, 3:34am
Id say the cfleet owners buy same model trucks for convenience of parts & maintenance . Winch _ WTF are you going to hook onto to pull 40 + tons out of snow ? Youd need a dirty big Hyster & imagine the cost of fitting 1 to every rig . No pussy power shifts for them either . speed is the key to making a $ in the 3 months of the road being useable . & using chains all the time would be slow & hard on the truck which take a beating anyway . Not like the flash shiny & chrome rigs used on hiways with all the mod cons . But they do play up for the cameras a bit .

serf407, Apr 6, 5:11am
There are plenty of US made KW etc trucks with multiple driven axles.
https://youtu.be/fhOKlkRH7_A (Kenworth 8x8) https://youtu.be/ryH--T6NsSY (Mack 6x6) https://youtu.be/vgwJx0CJyyk (Freightliner 6x6) https://youtu.be/Wn8FIv23kSM (Peterbilt 6x6) The Oshkosh etc are military that require a military budget to purchase and operate. Warm ice roads 2015 http://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2015/03/31/high-temperatures-sink-vehicles-traveling-ice-roads-in-western-alaska/

petermcg, Apr 6, 7:41am
What amazes me is how well these drivers do on the slippery ice, when you see what the other peole do in the citys when they get a bit of ice.

jesus2000, Apr 6, 7:53am
When it's really cold, like -10C, the ice is a lot harder and less slippery. It's more slippery at warmer temperatures when there is some melting happening on the surface.

intrade, Apr 7, 8:34am
yup and winter tyres grip almost like on tar seal on ice

gpg58, Apr 7, 8:44am
+1

Havnt replayed it , but sure looked suspect at the time.

mrfxit, Apr 7, 9:19pm
I have had a single wheel fall off a domestic trailer (4 stud) like that many years ago.
It rooted the studs.

That trailer dolly had std truck DUAL wheels with (I think) 10 stud wheels & not a single stud looked damaged

horsygirl, Apr 7, 11:48pm
Are Hugh & Rik an item?