Dead Mitsi

lillypad22, Jun 26, 7:14am
Yes really another dead mitsi, Need help please, 92 mitsi lancer cb3a 4g91 dohc efi, driving along motorway and just cut out still turned over, let sit for 10 mins started up fine no strange noises, drove fine til I out my toe up it cut out straight away, now wont start still turns over, first thought was fuel but still getting heaps through, any thoughts please

intrade, Jun 26, 7:20am
well its a mitsi what did you expect. na that sort of thing is what now every car make 2005 onwards will do.
You need to check one thing . is the cambelt gone? like is the camshaft rotating when you crank it then you need to check the most likely thing a crank angle sensor whom died on you because your above description could be the sensor is died they usually die when they get hot and recover when they cool a few times before they die one day for good. dont throw parts at it till you found the problem. diagnostic wise that car is easy as to figure whats wrong , compaired to the 2005 onwards cars.

intrade, Jun 26, 7:31am
so what you need to do is see if you have spark
because i would guess a dead crank angle sensor will result in no spark most likely but a wiring diagram should be pulled to see how it makes its spark exactly if you got none.
next thing be fuel pressure supply. check if you got wet plugs and no spark then you have fuel obviously

gmphil, Jun 26, 7:31am
module in dissy ?

intrade, Jun 26, 7:44am
i want to see the wiring diagram for its engine

lillypad22, Jun 26, 7:47am

intrade, Jun 26, 7:51am
oh another one to check is do you have a rpm meter on your dashboard next to speed?
if you have see if the tacho-needle moves when you crank it i just recall looking at this camry diagram , if it is like this then the sensor if its dead wont make the needle move when you crank as its also the thing naking the rpm on dash thru the ecm.
http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ToyotaCamryIgnitionSystemCircuitWiringDiagram_thumb.jpg

intrade, Jun 26, 7:53am
re*6 that wont be right that is megasquirt- megasquirt is when you make your own engine managment and your own programming for it haha
i found that also on google toyota and vw are the best for online infos

gmphil, Jun 26, 7:55am
do u no how to check for spark ?

intrade, Jun 26, 7:57am
i have a computer pin data book but your 4g91 is not in there if it was i could have looked what imputs the computer has on it. but its not in the book only 4g92 and others

lillypad22, Jun 26, 8:18am
I was just going to pull plugs out earth them and turn engine

rctr, Jun 26, 8:48am
Is it mivec with coil over waste spark by any chance sounds like symptoms of a failed cam angle sens

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 3:33pm
DOHC 4G91 EFI doesn't have a distributor

strobo, Jun 26, 6:30pm
My guess its still on its original fuel pump prob has volume but lacking minimum req pressure pending . no mil , may not ignite either in that state.regardless the fuel pump is a great start !

gmphil, Jun 27, 4:13am
my bad i missed that efi bit lol

lillypad22, Jun 28, 5:26am
Thanks for thought and advise, cam sensor was the issue $29 at pick a part issue all sorted. That one anyway LOL

intrade, Jun 29, 2:20am
like i said crank or cam sensor was what my cristal ball told me . some run of one sensor if the other is dead and some die when 1 is going offline . just got to figure and if part is cheap from a donor car you can do swaptronics but you dont actuarly learn much as it wont always be that it can also be a broken wire or corrosion inside a wire to the ecu.

marte, Jun 29, 7:37am
Someone I know had the same problem.
But, if every 200kms they stopped for a rest, or topped up with fuel, it worked alright.

Turned out it was a airtight fuel cap.

intrade, Apr 13, 1:06am
um a airtight fuel cap is not a fault, the fault will be on the evap brether system. because fumes must not escape to enviroment its why the fuelcap must be sealed and the venting is done by the evap system.
here is one designe ofteen the charcoal canister is in engine bay like it is on my 95 corolla
http://repairpal.com/images/managed/content_images/encyclopedia/CM_Exhaust_Emissions/EVAP_System_Overview_01.12.png