Suv for sale on dealers yard "on behalf"

rotormotor7, Feb 1, 2:09am
"Selling On Behalf, buyer will be referred to owner to complete sale"

Seller is RMVT listed, so effectively no warranty/CGA from caryard as^

Legal or no

kazbanz, Feb 1, 2:58am
So its one of those park n sell type yards and the vehicle owner is a dealer.So your cover under the cga etc is from the dealer selling the vehicle to you.
OR the yard is giving some "parking space" to another dealer.
Either way I wouldn't be having a bar of it.
Far too easy for the seller to disappear and any cover you might have is irrelevant as theres no one to chase for repairs.
Basicly if the seller won't stand up and be counted at the stage they are simply advertising the vehicle what do you think your chances of redress are if something goes pearshaped.

westwyn, Feb 1, 3:01am
Legal yes, if the seller (the owner) is an RMVT, and the entity that is listed as the vendor, then the CGA does indeed apply (remember, the CGA is NOT a warranty) to the sale. The business or person selling the car on behalf has two options: (a) sell it themselves (as an RMVT) in which case any CGA claim you may have would be against them, not the original vendor, OR (b) sell on behalf and refer you to the actual RMVT to complete that sale, in which case your CGA coverage is with the actual RMVT.

It's all in who actually has the authority to sell the vehicle and holds themselves out as a vendor. A few years back now, as part of the business I used to manage and have a share in, we sold a large volume of vehicles on an "on behalf" basis (for a finance company). Even though we were not the owners, we were the vendors- the sale contract was with us, not the finance company, and as such, we were responsible for any CGA or similar coverage under the law.

If you're being referred to the RMVT owner to complete the sale, that's fine- as long as you are provided with a copy of the Consumer Information Notice, a Vehicle Offer and Sale Agreement, and ensure the trader concerned has a valid RMVT registration. (will be on the CIN card).

Hope this helps!

bumfacingdown, Feb 1, 3:53am
And if they are to be referred to a private owner to do the sale?

rotormotor7, Feb 1, 5:06am
My understanding is the car owner is "a good friend" (hmmm) of the dealer.Its on TM but with that disclaimer of sorts which rang bells for me.
one owner vehicle, so either the owner is inept at selling so hassle free being on a caryard with walk in buyers from his dealer mate.

I see it as a private sale, but viewing available at a caryard.

supernova2, Feb 1, 6:11am
Don't think they can. If it's on the yard the yard is the one offering it for sale. Think of Turners and their auctions of privately owned vehicles. The deal is done with Turners not the owner.

gunhand, Feb 1, 6:18am
Or, it could be just sittin on the yard so foot traffic see it and if ya really interested go see the actual owner to to do the deal.
Or, it could be a cunning way of getting rid of trades, saying its not mine,it's just here for the public to see, go see this person. but wouldn't there be a paper trail if this was the case?
Is a dealer allowed to have cars he don't own on his yard for sale by a 2nd party and not be involved in any of it apart from supplying a space for it to sit and a contact number? Sounds harmless enough. or not.

bumfacingdown, Feb 1, 6:23am
That was the way it was, not sure of current rules though. As long as the yard referred all questions to the owner and had nothing at all to do with the sale it was the owners sale.
No sales card in window I think it was to, just owners contact details

morrisjvan, Feb 1, 8:33pm
simple solution really, if you're not happy with the terms of sale, don't buy it !

steve56467, Feb 2, 7:09am
What is the vehicle rotormotor?

rotormotor7, Jul 10, 5:07pm
Napier " monster value" by the sound of it ;)