No Catagory A left hand drive permits left

tgray, Aug 26, 1:02am
for 2015.
This means you now cannot register a less than 20 year old LHD car until 2016 in NZ.
Not being able to get customers cars road legal for the next 4 months, has got to hurt the car dealers out there that only do this for a living and nothing else.
Luckily I am not one of them.

kevymtnz, Aug 26, 1:48am
should be no left hand drives on nz roads

m16d, Aug 26, 1:59am
I wish our rural postie had a left hand drive,then he wouldn't have to drive on the wrong side of the bloody road all the time to shove mail in the boxs.

kazbanz, Aug 26, 2:20am
yea I wonder how a euro or yank postie van would work out?

tgray, Aug 26, 2:48am
The fact that the NZ dollar briefly hit US62c this morning wouldn't help their importing business either. (67c just yesterday and 88c a year ago).

kazbanz, Aug 26, 3:29am
I wonder how those guys who decided to "have a dabble" and haven't paid for their US yet will get on

tgray, Aug 26, 3:40am
They won't be able to get on.
I have done the sums and there simply is no money in importing a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette at the current exchange rate, when stock that is already here has been imported at much better exchange rate.
I have exhausted all my USA funds now, so won't be bringing anything in for a while. Luckily I hedged and managed to bring in 10 USA cars. (9 sold). Good while it lasted.

tony9, Aug 26, 6:33am
Left Hook drivers seem to be a bigger problem.

lookoutas, Aug 26, 6:51am
I was told at the Palmy Swap Meet that they had allocated 50 more.
Do they do this?

tgray, Aug 26, 8:32am
No.
It is 500 p/year and cannot be increased without a law change.

les6, Aug 26, 8:37am
probably won`t be an issue next year if the dollar stays low?

lookoutas, Aug 26, 8:38am
OK - It was a pretty well lubricated comment.
I have also heard they will chase-up those that haven't been used. And that was from a dealer who uses plenty.

serf407, Aug 26, 8:52am
Some posties are using a VW Caddy

sifty, Aug 26, 8:54am
Road sweepers and rubbish trucks. ?
Plus I'd rather have LHD vehicles than crappy Jap sedans lowered and driven by scrotes with low riding strides.

neville48, Aug 26, 9:18am
Why not kevymtnz, please tell me why not.

trogedon, Aug 26, 9:23am
Use a McLaren and have long arms to do both sides.

oldboyjohn, Aug 27, 1:11am
I have 2 LHD cars, one imported under the new rules but has been here for the 4 years. Unsure why kevymtnz says there shouldn't be LHD cars on our roads, will be interesting to see his reply.
I went to a dealer in Hamilton and asked how they get on when the permits run out. I was told they run them until new permits are issued on D plates.
I was under the impression D plates were for Demo's, running cars to Panelbeaters etc, not for a client to run his car for 4 months.

tgray, Aug 27, 1:30am
I hope they are not giving out dealer plates to their customers until the new allocation comes through next year.
Not only would that be unlawful, but they would find their insurance cover would be invalidated in the event of a claim.
There are specific laws regarding dealer plate usage.

lookoutas, Aug 27, 5:35am
I know why - can't use the drive-throughs, tolls etc., unless ya got a passenger.

I pulled up at the tolls at Tauranga - got out, scooted around and paid, then got back in apologising to the car full behind and received a heap of thumb's-up.

Best thing is - don't get ya nickers all twisted over what someone else likes or does.

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 7:26am
i just bought my Camaro don't need a left hand permit, its all legal with new plates reason its over 20 yrs old . LHD too and i love it

tgray, Aug 26, 10:09am
What year, engine is it?
As crazy as this sounds, I had more fun in my 1993 Z28 Camaro than I had in later models, even though I know it was far inferior.