Lead substitute for older cars?

Page 1 / 2
tigger8, Aug 3, 10:40pm
x1
I cannot seam to find Valve Master in a bottle any more . ( repco n supercheap none) Managed to find the single shot syringe. Any other substitutes available?

gsimpson, Aug 3, 10:50pm
I have been using an upper cylinder lube for years but recently met a chap who reconditions very old model cars and he suggests using 2 stroke oil as it doesn't cause the carbon build up issues that can happen with upper cylinder lube.

bryshaw, Aug 3, 10:57pm
Wouldn't getting the valve seats hardened be more practical?

tigger8, Aug 3, 11:10pm
How much 2 stroke oil? mix?

sr2, Aug 3, 11:27pm
I've had a number of people tell me they've stripped down the heads of many cars that have been run with no additives and have seen very little or no valve seat regression. (One of them is a very experienced engine reconditioner).
I'd love to see some hard data on the subject.

petal_91, Aug 3, 11:37pm
Nulon makes a lead substitute, so does STP. I expect you can order them in at any Supercheap or Repco.

http://www.nulon.co.nz/products/Fuel_Treatments/Lead_Substitute/#.Vb6pKLWZZ4w http://www.stp.eu/uk/products/item/id/201/lead-substitute-with-octane-booster

tigger8, Aug 3, 11:57pm
cheers, will have track these down

tamarillo, Aug 4, 12:10am
I thought this had proved to be a bit of a wife's tale. Must be something in it but as other said, lots of folk found no problems many years down the line.
I've still got a bottle of morays in the garage, must be old by now!

petal_91, Aug 4, 12:27am
On the topic of wacky engine treatments to replace lead, try Marvel's Mystery Oil. Lots of Americans like it:
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

gsimpson, Aug 4, 12:29am
It is but not possible with all cars. I did this with my Landrover but my old Austin does not have enough meat in the block to allow it. (and it would require the engine to be completely dismantled, side valve)

gsimpson, Aug 4, 12:32am
A low level. At the low level of mixes. If it smokes reduce it. I will ask him.

tintop, Aug 4, 12:55am
I have an MGBGT that was run using fuelstar exclusively ( prior to me buying it) since the demise of leaded petrol. Valve seat recession on all exhaust seats, worse on 2 and 3

MG Midget 1500, severe seat recession on all exhaust seats, one of which was so far gone that there was no rocker adjustment travel left. Imported car from US with a cat converter, probably run lead free all its life.

It depends of course on the use I guess, smaller hard working engines compared to larger, lazier ones.

elect70, Aug 4, 1:56am
I used product called "104 plus "in my 318 charger , benefit of using 91 unleaded & the 104 as octane booster & upper lube . worked well .

sr2, Aug 4, 2:19am
Interesting thread.
I remember when I was working at an engine reconditioners in the late 70's and valve seat regression was considered to be just a fact of life, and that was with leaded petrol!
Call me a cynic but when they phased out leaded petrol in NZ the group that made the most noise about valve seat issues were the likes of Valvemaster and Morays who were offering a solution.

franc123, Aug 4, 2:40am
The effects of the lack of lead certainly varies between engines, certainly the higher revving iron head British engines suffer the worst from VSR, but this could still happen even with using leaded 96. IMO the whole adding lead to petrol thing was a con, it wasn't good for engines (remembers scraping 1/4 in of grey sludge out of sumps, you don't see it on those run on ULP since new) wasn't good for the environment and certainly wasn't good for the living breathing things we have on the planet, including ourselves. Do the whole hardened valve seat thing and not worry about it again is the best course of action, it will also be a good selling point and add value should you sell down the track.

tintop, Aug 4, 2:51am
Yep - MGB has exhaust inserts. Midget head, and the rest of the horrible engine and gearbox gone south to a guy that wanted it. Datsun A15 + 5 speed under way for the Midget.

tigger8, Aug 4, 3:42am
just found Red Line Lead Substitute @ bnt, 355ml treats 450 litres

lookoutas, Aug 4, 6:00am
I just give a squirt of Morays down the tube every fill up.

sr2, Aug 4, 10:00am
I'm currently rebuilding a 186 X2 (Webber carburation, Yella terror head, starfire rods,. etc.) for the street and am deciding between hardened seats (expensive), using an additive or just driving it. As I mentioned earlier it's hard to get anything other than anecdotal evidence, I still haven't made my mind up yet.

jmma, Aug 4, 10:06am
Is it still in the HR or something else?

sr2, Aug 4, 10:31am
It's in something 20 years older than an HR (long story). It's part of a project to restore a car I modified in my late teens/early 20's. I'm 59 years old now so we're talking about a pile of rust that has been in storage for a long, long time (off the road since 93). I still have the reggo on hold, I have an exemption cert for all the mods and it was my first car, how could I not put the old girl back on the road!

I'll start a build thread soon (probably on oldschool.co.nz) and will post a link.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/401564954.jpg

jmma, Aug 4, 10:38am
Look forward to it.
Old Holdens and old Vauxhalls, 2 of my favourites (o:

pdc1, Aug 4, 10:44am
sr2 you had the answer in 14. Worry about it once the seats have receded and then fix. Chances are you won??

sr2, Aug 4, 10:58am
Cheers mate, despite 20 years of building and racing Targa cars this build is turning into an amazing experience. Not only am I being blown away by the fabrication I got away with using only a drill, file, hacksaw and stick welder (it's weird restoring your past!), I'm overwhelmed at the offers of support, parts and help I'm getting from all and sundry I tell my story too.

sr2, Aug 4, 10:59am
To be honest mate I'm heading in that direction.