Compliance What exactly is checked and how.

gazzat22, Mar 14, 2:29am
When a jappo or english or whatever is checked for compliance what exactly is checked and how.Is it visual or do they for example take off door cards/brake drums /carpets etc Does it include oil changing/brake testing and any mechanical checks I understand its tougher than previous years but how so Cheers

floscey, Mar 14, 4:24am
going by a few recent comments regarding compliance, the only check done is how thick the envelope is.

socram, Mar 14, 5:53am
Far from it around here.

Door cards off; boot stripped; carpets and half the interior trim stripped; wheels removed and pad/lining thicknesses checked. Seat belts have to be to NZ standards.

Mine was failed because there was no repair/welding certificate for what had obviously been repaired over the last 60 years. I also had to show proof of ownership signed by a JP. Seller's email receipt wasn't enough.

It wouldn't include oil changes as that is not a safety issue, but it also includes everything done for a WoF and they issue the WoF label which goes with the paperwork when you register the car.

elect70, Mar 14, 6:20am
Im covering all bases getting my range rover done . sanding any rust out & painting chassis , skim discs &new pads & hoses .They put it on a hoist remove the wheels & poke around & charge you about $700 + , any fails & its a full recheck .

socram, Mar 14, 6:25am
Cost me about $450. I believe that like a WoF, you can return within 28 days to get any hiccups fixed - but don't quote me on that!

gmphil, Mar 14, 7:09am
cost me $450 had to get letter from police vehicle was of no interest ! tad bit more stringent than a wof . places will vary on how hard they go u no ,Friday child and alikes .if it a known model to have rust traps yes they will pull apart interior to look . they do remove wheel check brakes and as above if its found to have repairs they will need cert . u have 20 days to comply I believe for free recheck could be 28 like wof can rememeber .
how compliance became like old wives tail I don't no !
basically if your car is rust free and serviced why wouldn't it pass !
only shitter get knocked back

sandypheet, Mar 14, 7:37am
Interior strip to reveal seat belt anchors where a unique mark is placed, usually rear seats removed, body seams inspected, boot liners removed to check behind, front guard liners and splash guards removed/pulled down and unique mark placed. Brake pads removed and measured (min 3mm ) brake shoes, (min 2mm ) discs and drums to be within specs. Door rubbers pulled out when pillar trims removed. Any fresh sign of repair, eg new paint will ring alarm bells. All paper work must be original.

grangies, Mar 14, 8:06am
I get plenty of cars in at work, fresh off the boat, and there's never any evidence of splash guards and door trims having been removed.

They're all late(ish) model vehicles though. I can understand old Mustangs etc etc coming in needing extra investigation though.

socram, Mar 14, 8:54am
Wrong! It gets knocked back even if all repairs are spot on, but without the paperwork, it means diddly squat.

If you didn't get repairs signed off by an approved outfit, then you have to pay for a repair certifier to go right through the car and that can also mean an invasive inspection and maybe having to get repairs redone.

The first repair certifier I used was most unsympathetic even though he'd seen pre repair photographs. He even wanted the exterior paint removed to check the quality of welding on the rear wings and a 100 other requirements, most of which were petty bearing in mind the age of the car.

Fortunately a later certifier was much more realistic and although there was one section that needed re-doing, he came along and checked progress at two crucial stages plus a final inspection after painting and wax injection and was more than helpful in getting the car through.

kazbanz, Mar 14, 10:08am
If you mean fresh off the boat as in no WOF then yep you are correct.
If you mean cars that have a WOF sticker then either your specific compliance inspector needs shutting down or you are mistaken.
Easy way to check --pop the plastic cover off the boot --there will be a paint marker mark there.

gazzat22, Mar 15, 1:07am
Thanks People, was told it depends on which outfit did it.

kazbanz, Mar 15, 1:16am
The parts of a vehicle requiring inspection and the methodology required is clearly documented.
The standards are pretty darn tough.
But like anything in life you will get dishonest or negligent inspectors in the same way as you will get OTT inspectors.
As an example -my inspector required me to get an engineers cert because ONE of four welds on one of four seat mounts had cracked.
To find that busted seat mount meant he had to be doing his job properly

boss_hogg, Mar 15, 3:14am
I'm going through the process now. I've found that there seems to be a lot of opinion and bad information floating around. It's true that everything needs to be signed off by a certified inspector. This is the bit I was unaware of and now have to get prior repairs signed off. Even where the boot floor has been repaired. It's a stressful experience at times, especially when the staff at vtnz don't seem to know the process.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be worth in the finish.

socram, Apr 29, 1:45pm
Just make sure you check out the repair certifier's reputation first.