Compliance Emissions Test - UgH!

Page 1 / 2
murdoko, May 26, 6:03am
so my jzx110 mark II (1JZ-GTE vvti) failed compliance coz its emitting too much gas, namely HydroCarbon and CO2. From what it seems, the engine is running perfectly smooth but obviously it's running rich for some reason.

1. Checked the spark plugs - OK
2. changed the air filter to TRUST hi-flow - old one was darker than black LOL
3. checked if there are any vacuum leaks

from what i know, idle speed should be 600-700 rpm right! what if its idling slightly below that, say 450-550 RPM! I know low idle speed will definitely affect emissions. Also, when the car arrived, the battery was flat. I know there's no away of testing if I really need to replace the battery unless you actually do a proper load test on it. However, I figured I'll just replace the battery and hopefully that will solve problem.

SOOOO tomorrow i will replace:

THE BATTERY!- hopefully that will fix it, coz if the battery/engine is charging all the time because it cant hold a charge anymore, then the idle speed will go low and that will mess up the emissions (at least thats what i think for now)

Can anyone suggest any other factors that might be affecting the emission! Any other remedies you guyz can think of!

zephyrheaven, May 26, 6:16am
buy a big airpump & plumb it into the exhaust ! Good luck with that - seen way too many cars dumped because their emissions dont meet the latest buzz laws while every day I follow joe dingbats old 323 belching blues all the way to work, sigh

johnf_456, May 26, 6:33am
Gosh they are getting pathetic, the amount of buses and trucks in Auckland that choke you. Just put some fresh fuel if you can and give it a good run before hand.

franc123, May 26, 6:37am
Pretty obvious I'd have thought to anyone who knows how to use a gas analyser properly, its common sense that a vehicle would have accumulated large amounts of HC in the exhaust after a succession of cold starts and shutdowns from being loaded on to a ship, off again, onto a transporter and possibly many more times than that prior to being put under the microscope at compliancing time.

murdoko, May 26, 6:40am
hmmm might have to look at that.

murdoko, May 26, 6:40am
so who's keen to lend me a dealer plate! :)

toxicgreen., May 26, 6:40am
Should be able to smell if it smells rich,even after a run,,But cauld be faultyO2 sensor in exhaust,water temp sensor to computor or throttle sensor,or a few other things,petrol pump regulator,sounds like richness is making idle low. should be 900

murdoko, May 26, 6:43am
and also, you guyz reckon changing the battery would be a good idea! as i said before, the battery was flat when it got there. It still holds charge but the battery indicator says thats it's below 25%.

pollymay, May 26, 6:44am
You want to give them the berries before that test, also make sure the ignition timing is spot on as to keep the idle right and I think it affects the hydrocarbons quite greatly if your idle timing is off.

Does it have a cat on it still!

murdoko, May 26, 6:49am
yeah cat is still there. I'll try giving it a good hard run and also change the battery as well. The engine is really smooth. Too smooth you think the engine's dead when it's idling. 900 RPM would be too high for a 1jz-gte vvti. should be around 700 RPM for a minter. i think. (at least thats what the japanese sign under the hood says)

carstauranga001, May 26, 6:50am
\
That's my car guys. Yes, a good run down a 100 k road and kiwi fuel and it flew through the test today. Now complied and on lot ready to go. Well worth trying OP.

Edit, Also, test when hot as a cold engine naturally runs richer.

murdoko, May 26, 6:55am
cheers for that! sounds like I'm gonna be on a dealer-plate hunting mission tomorrow. I'd ask around and see if I can borrow one from a dealer nearby. hopefully someones kind enough to lend me one. then, im off to Orewa and back! :)

toyboy3, May 26, 7:46am
ask at the compliance centre for a plateto give the car a gallop upthe road

r15, May 26, 9:25am
just chuck a plate on it from your other car and go for a drive. just dont do anything stupid where anyone will see you- swapping plates isnt quite legal

johnf_456, May 26, 11:02am
Bad advice

richms, May 26, 11:58am
Very very bad advice,

I was told (but not confirmed) that they can do you with some of the fraud charges related to using a document if you swap over a license plate as well as the car related ones.

murdoko, May 26, 12:01pm
Haha I thought about that option for a second. naaah better be caught unregistered than be caught faking it. However, the chances of you getting pulled over drops dramatically when you're using another plate. BUT I'll try my luck borrowing a dealer's plate. ;)

kimbo88, May 26, 8:56pm
A couple of things that may help Murdoko - a simple one that can be overlooked is that sometimes cars will fail if the oil is excessively dirty and overdue for a change.I've heard of cars being failed on emissions and with nothing other than an oil and filter change going back and passing it.Other than that, yes a good long hot run should suffice.Just one thing to remember if you're using a borrowed dealier's plate - you are more than likely to be uninsured, which of course includes third party.Most insurance companies require the car to have actually been complied and warranted prior to issuing insurance cover, and then of course registered after that unless you are using a dealer's plate.All the best for it though, and hope you get it through compliance soon.Try the oil and filter change if it needs one done at all.

mrfxit, May 26, 9:10pm
What about a couple of short hard runs on a rolling dyno.
Warmed up 1st, then the dyno should get the temps up a fair bit.
Could sus out a few other things while you are on the dyno.

murdoko, May 27, 12:18am
Thanks guyz! greatly appreciate your advise(s)! You guyz saved me time and a few $$$ HAHA.

The car flew thru compliance after giving it a good hard run on a private parking lot.

THAAAANNNNNNKKKKKSSSSS

johnf_456, May 27, 12:21am
Nice as they say (kiss) keep it simple stupid, probably just had lots of short runs.

johnf_456, May 27, 12:52am
I agree we all know cold engines produce more emissions, with more fuel needed when cold.

fordcrzy, May 27, 1:13am
also most ecu's will have an anti stall setup where if the idle is a bit low because of a dead battery etc the ignition timing is advanced to try and keep the engine going and the fuel bumped up a bit in a last ditch effort to keep it turning.emissions is the last thing on it's mind .

scotts04, May 27, 7:36am
go get repco "no more smoke"our mates car failed a wof due to smoking too much, put it in and flew throught the follow up test.

kimbo88, May 27, 8:01am
Great to hear Murdoko - I bet you've enjoyed the rest of the day driving it a fair bit!Well done!