On the road costs?

dinx, May 14, 7:10am
Just curious, whats the opinion of people to the inflation of on the road costs for new imports? Seems to vary from $295 to 495 in the small car market say fro year 2000 to newer.

I've asked and the only explaination I've had from one dealer is that they charge a flat fee regardless of the variation based on engne size & fuel type but for the extra $ for convenience they will attach the plates for me. Apparently I must be missing thumbs or something? lol.

I know I can choose not to buy from them, but ORC is a bit deceptive if they an charge anything they want?

toyboy3, May 14, 8:35am
Ask if the seller will give you the MR2A form on completion of the sale and do on road cost your self

kazbanz, May 14, 8:28pm
Actually dinx On road coast vary from $265 to $1500.
Reality is this.
it DOES cost around $700 to put a fresh import on the road in New Zealand. Theres no dodging that fact.
That's based on $400 for compliance and $300 for the first 6 months registration. -Allowing theres no other work required.
HONEST dealers build those costs into the advertised price of their cars.
DISHONEST dealers put "plus orc" somewhere in their adverts. --and I very specifically include the new car industry in this as they are by far the worst offenders. Have a look at an advert in the paper for a new car and see how long it takes to find the "orc not included" -then see how much they charge for orc.
I genuinely feel its false advertising.
its also a simple negotiating tool.
"ohh sir you don't want to pay the orc--Ok come on in lets see if the boss will wipe them for you -will you buy the car if we can get them wiped?"

3tomany, May 14, 8:48pm
From a business point ORC are tax deductible so having them invoiced separate is beneficial. ORC vary from dealer to dealer some include full year rego, full tank of petrol, mudflaps, if diesel 10,000 ks tax etc. So the dealer who includes ORC but does not fill the tank, gives minimal rego, or bugger all road tax might be more deceptive than the dealer who is + ORC just sayin

kazbanz, May 15, 1:14am
That's the only advantage-but claiming say 15% of $300 seems silly whey you should have the whole $300

kazbanz, May 15, 1:17am
Nahh sorry that holds no water.The dealer including orc could as easily be including that stuff in the price as the dealer charging orc.
I'd argue that if you are holding out for orc likely you will try to screw the customer down for every red penny so less likelly to cover "extras"

3tomany, May 15, 6:44am
the tax deduction on ORC is more like 43% if you incl all deductions assuming a business is paying 28% tax rate + 15% GST

kazbanz, May 15, 8:38pm
But again-would you rather have a half full glass or a full glass?

3tomany, May 15, 9:00pm
that glass could be half empty LOL. I personaly would rather ORC were explained and invoiced so as an astute buyer I know what I am getting.

a.woodrow, May 15, 10:07pm
It's always an empty glass, no dealer will absorb ORC they will always be passed on to the buyer in one form or another. The difference is whether or not a business can claim some of it back

dinx, May 15, 11:24pm
I dont mind paying orc, I'm not a fan of paying and extra $100-200 to affix plates and have them call it orc. I did ask one trader/dealer and they are non neg. Turners for example charge $400 on top of buyers and sellers fees, so on one import that was passed in @$4k, thats another $800 total on top plus the sellar fee. Its kind of excessive.

I may have a dealer vehicle lined up elsewhere, high 177kms but full service history since 50km on 2006 nz new car and open to a big of neg. Had someone view for me but due to see myself this weekend.

kazbanz, May 15, 11:40pm
Im sorry but to me charging it on top of the purchase price is fraud plain and simple.
ANY reputable dealer will be prepared to SHOW you the costs to put "that" car on the road if you ask.Given its a cost paid to the gubbiment and not negotiable its far from difficult to work out.
That said as you say some dealers do the apsolute minimum to cars to get them out the door. Compliance/rego/wof/enough gas to maybe get to the gas station.

kazbanz, May 15, 11:59pm
just so you know.
Allowing the car has had its compliance inspection done and stuff like oil change etc aren't included in on road costs then reality is that they are a fixed amount to pay.
WOF will be from $30-$50
registration will be from $265-$360 for a normal car (not a truck etc)
That number is calculated based on engine size so the bigger the engine the more you pay for the first 6 months registration
Petrol driven - 0000cc-1300cc 6 months 275.08 12 months 380
Petrol driven - 1301-2600cc 6 months 291.08 12 months 431.25
Petrol driven - 2601-4000cc 6 mth 322.13 12 mth 462.30
Non-petrol driven - 1301-2600cc 6 mth 361.77 12 mth 572.64
Non-petrol driven - 2601-4000cc 6 mth 392.82 12 mth 603.69

mimik3, May 16, 9:18am
Never said a second hand car dealer.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 12:13pm
Its a common negotiating method---take the cbuyers eye off discussing big numbers and focussing on small numbers