Approx cost to recondition an Audi 2.0 TDI engine?

Page 2 / 2
strobo, Oct 7, 8:29am
Here's what it might cost according to some googlemeister with a replacement engine ! $7150 P/S is more likely $12797.89 kiwi! + And seeing VW cheated its way through emissions standards. correction P/S $$ to Fuel emission side! .
• Cooler ($361)
• Aftertreatment Fuel Tank ($534)
• Dosing Valve ($240)
• DPFE ($105)
• Temperature Sensor ($171)
• EGR ($401)
• Catalyst ($688)
fuel emission Total = $2,500 P/S =$4570.67 kiwi
Complete modified ! long block new example below .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Engine-Long-Block-1-9L-2-0L-TDI-4-Cylinder-Golf-Jetta-Beetle-New-OEM-ALH-BHW-/301621477602
$5173.55 NZ short block new +>freight + 8 to 10 hrs assembly + $1200 remove & refit engine + Extra $$$ drive belts /oil etc and some.

strobo, Oct 7, 8:45am
2005 on- wards is common rail !

strobo, Oct 7, 8:56am
So not much change out of $14000 done properly or if you deduct the fuel emission side would be around Total $9400 and I doubt it can be rebuilt for less than that at today's costs , depending whats wrong with it anyway a recondition will be way less fitting parts where required is a better option or other wreck it for parts!.Get rid of it.

strobo, Oct 7, 9:19am
As for Toyota parts they are easily got , really dirt cheap and quality outstanding .And always a pleasure to work on.

ema1, Oct 7, 10:46am
You could be a good painter mate . whitewashing every thing? Ha ha ha. plus I'd far sooner work on a Toyota any day, way more common sense design and longer lasting plus the reasons strobo states in his post#29.
I can't abide even thinking of fixing an Audi that tend to pack up for such wanky short distance reasons. real chain reacting hand grenades they are. break something here often they go bang some place else virtually totaling them?
Designed obsolescence . much. there are exceptions but they are rare.

supernova2, Oct 7, 10:56am
Whatever it will cost it will be more than the vehicle is worth when the job is finished.
The only practical solution is to fit a 2nd hand engine if you can find one. Even that might cost more than the vehicle is worth finished.

ema1, Oct 7, 10:58am
Good reason to just bin it I reckon strobo. if it gets fixed chances are it will do the self destruct thing again a short time into the future, I prefer to own/drive a car I can depend on for a long period of time.

msigg, Oct 7, 4:55pm
Just get a second hand wreck or bin. Not worth spending 4k on.

poppy62, Oct 9, 4:06pm
Agree with the 2nd hand engine from a wrecker. There will be reasonable amount of engines to choose from some with very low kms from an Insurance write off. most cases the engine will be able to be run and will come with a warranty period of up to 12 months. Prices will be from $200 - $3000 dependent on whether you do the removal yourself and also on the Year and type of diesel engine. The same engine can be found in other related cars such as VW Golf, Skoda Octavia etc. A Short block may be cheaper if the head and valve gear are good on your motor. There are many suppliers out there.

toenail, Oct 9, 6:08pm
just treat Audi's as consumable items. If something breaks, bin it and and buy a new one. Who doesn't want to be seen in brand new Audi every few years, that's the way they are meant to be owned. Brand new and under warranty period.

Do you see Tony Stark driving an old Audi? No way, always the latest model.

serf407, Dec 28, 1:02pm
There is a number of different codes for the vag tdi 2 litre diesels.
https://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/2-0-tdi-140-170-tuning.php