M/C belt drive

the-lada-dude, Oct 12, 10:27am
To the rear wheel. . I can figure most of the pros and cons, but long liverty ?

mechnificent, Oct 12, 11:39am
Clean and silent but not good on dirt roads.

the-lada-dude, Oct 12, 12:29pm
belt for a suzi LS 650 = $350 . cripes . bet saeco or similar is 1/3 the price

therafter1, Oct 12, 12:30pm
I've also read that sticky summer chip re-sealing can end your ride. I've never had a bike with a belt, but have read that replacement requires the dropping of the swing arms . chains don't.

They are quieter and smoother, but a well looked after chain and sprockets can last for a long time as well. As for chain noise, I'm so accustomed to it that I don't hear it, and when I do it means my chain and sprockets are due for replacement.

whqqsh, Oct 12, 1:05pm
Had stone through my belt a while ago & had to get it replaced. but only because it was of to the side. Guy reckoned in the middle & they still don't let go. Wasn't too bad price as I got a rear tyre at same time so no labour. Belt was $325 incl but have met some owners that have never replaced belts on any of their bikes & some really long term ownership. So as with anything its a bit of luck & balancing costs overall

purple666, Oct 12, 2:09pm
The original rear belt on my RoadKing did 60k kms, replacement belt did 200km before getting a rock right through snapping it again.

201, Oct 12, 3:46pm
I've seen a couple of bikes, a Yamaha & a Harley come to an unscheduled
roadside stop after picking up a sharp stone chip from recently sealed road. Kinda ruined their day with a trailer trip home. Bit like windscreens though you can go for years & then get a couple of big stone chips in short period of time.

purple666, Oct 12, 4:31pm
I was lucky enough to have both mine go close to home, although lucky is probably not the right term as had I been lucky the original belt would still be turning happily.

therafter1, Dec 25, 9:51pm
Chain goes krrrrunch lol