RB1 Odyssey battery draining to quickly

ambo11, Aug 22, 1:25pm
Have an 05 RB1 Odyssey, and it can sit for 3 or 4 days at times, if we are using the other car or 4WD etc etc.
Problem is the battery barely starts it after 3 days, and is dead after 4. I know these things have GPS etc for the clock, would that drain the battery that quickly?
Had this car 5 years, and 3 new batteries in that time, which is too many. Latest one replaced 6 months ago. The last two would not recover from a charge, using a proper calcium charger. Car gets used for 50km-100km open road runs when used.
They do have a ridiculous small battery for the size of the engine.
I'll go through it and check for a draw with the multimeter on the weekend.
Asking just in case there is a known drain for these things, wondering about the GPS for the clock? Massive failure on Hondas part if it is normal for an RB1.
Cheers

kazbanz, Aug 22, 1:50pm
Ambo--are you sure the battery in it is the size Honda recommend ?

axelvonduisberg, Aug 22, 2:01pm
Failing that get an auto electrician to check that the alternator is working

ambo11, Aug 22, 2:07pm
Yep battery is a 430CCA which is what it is advised to have, (too small in my mind though, but no physical room for anything bigger) as for the alternator that is functioning perfectly. I'm suspicious of the dopey gps/clock internavi thingy. can't see any lights going inside at night, nothing aftermarket fitted. Cheers

martin11, Aug 22, 2:09pm
Leave the keys in it ?

ambo11, Aug 22, 2:20pm
Lol no it gets locked up properly

thejazzpianoma, Aug 22, 2:43pm
Probably the most common source of parasitic draw I come across is aftermarket stereos with botched installation.

It only takes me a minute or two to track the circuit as I have a sensitive multimeter that can detect voltage drop over a fuse. Yours is likely not as good which may mean removing fuses for testing. So I would suggest starting with the radio circuit and any other close by circuits (like the cigarette lighter if constant power) and take it from there. Then anything else aftermarket before working your way through.

However, before I do the process above I would check if any power is being lost to the alternator as that can also be an issue and won't necessarily show up with your regular cabin fuses.

kazbanz, Aug 22, 4:51pm
Im guessing its the factory built in radio unit.
I'd be interested to see what would happen if the GPS was unplugged.
Ive got a sneaking suspicion the GPS in those keeps trying to pick up a satellite lock even with the car off.in NZ it will never get one so keeps hunting. It was one of those offhand conversations I had with my alarm guy so I might be wrong. --If it is that then pulling the plug on it might be the answer

strobo, Aug 22, 5:11pm
Maybe side tracking here but things to consider especially if the alternator can't be faulted and has a good ground . If an aftermarket alternator has been fitted to Imported Honda models esp from US employ an ELD "Electronic Load Device" system similar to a voltage stabilizer unit fitted in line commonly found around behind the dash or fuse box area is separate from the voltage regulator at the alternator .Later model Honda control wiring typically passes through the ECM for better control and diagnosis.The ECM maybe sending the wrong reference message to the ELD .The ELD will pull the voltage down or step it up under varying loads.If stationary with no load on the ELD the ECM could be receiving the wrong reference signal and in turn grounding the control wire! The warning light may not necessarily come on either! Or the ECM it self can be damaged by surges created when the alternator grounds are lost.Thus the fast discharging.

ambo11, Aug 22, 5:28pm
Cheers guys, yep its totally standard apart from wheels, and Kaz I'm thinking the same thing. Will have to try and search online to see if the GPS can be turned off, I don't need the clock which tells the wrong time anyway. Our Previa and 4wd can be left for weeks and still start straight away, so this Odyssey thing is damned annoying. Looking online most guff is about blocking the GPS with tinfoil on the RB1, I may look and see if there is a power plug on it. Will disable the door lights, and go through the fuses first with a multimeter. not that there's much point as everything is in Japanese. But worth a shot. I'm guessing alt is fine as it charges the battery quickly, and its been doing this for years. done 150Km now but its still a nice safe car with 8 airbags etc, trying to convince the wife to use it instead of her van.

trade4us2, Oct 19, 12:01pm
Someone with this problem put a switch in the battery circuit. A meter can be switched in when the car is not running. If there is a current, remove fuses until the current stops.