Vw passat 2002 (jazz)

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 5:15pm
Has anyone one done cam adjusters on one of these? Does the engine need to come out? Or can you take the back of the head off release the cam chain tensioner. Take the cam pulleys off and slide it out under the cams?

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 5:17pm
W8 engine

poppy62, Sep 25, 6:43pm
Hey BFM try this for a read, you may find something relevant and useful.

http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1196

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 7:10pm
Thanks I had a read. I am still not sure what course of action to take.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 25, 9:55pm
1. Not done one.
2. Yes you are supposed to remove the engine from memory.
3. Good news is it's supposed to be a fairly easy one to remove as was designed as such.
4. Applying over voltage to the actuators above is common practice and a good first step (actually first step would be doing so via vcds at normal voltage). I have never seen such a good write up on the practice though!

Just going from the stories I have heard over the years. Usually, you can get away with freeing up the actuators. So I would concentrate my efforts around that first.

Sorry not much help, I generally avoided them due to the transmission issue and now find the next model is cheap enough not to bother. Nice car though!

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 10:24pm
Already tried all that the exhaust one is stuck. But yes looks like engine out. :-(

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 5:22pm
So $2800 for the cam adjuster one each side so 5.6k engine out timing chains, Tensioner, guides, Might get some change out of 12k

slarty45, Sep 28, 5:33pm
Far canal

johotech, Sep 28, 5:48pm
Time for an upgrade. Jazz will probably give you $500 for it.

berg, Sep 28, 6:29pm
Ouch! How many kms?

intrade, Sep 28, 7:11pm
did you look and mail rexbo.eu for a price?

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:22pm
na just speed

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:22pm
200k no sign of engine neglect when I had one rocker cover off

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:24pm
it also needs a secondary air pump and purge valve. A alternator and possibly a fuel pump so around another 3k. Guy is just going to drive it till it dies.

bigfatmat1, Sep 28, 7:28pm
I actually tried 12v nothing so pulled inlet off and rocker cover forced the solenoid off the valve breaking the three metal tabs. Then forced the valve down and worked it till it was free. I am however not confident there is a metal gauze that is floating round loose in the assy. Now runs smooth and no cam sensor codes

johotech, Sep 28, 7:58pm
As you seem to be up for any options, I have a couple of very large hammers I'd love to try out on a VW. I promise I'll try the smaller one first.
(Don't tell Jazz though).

ema1, Sep 30, 7:48pm
No No no joho. hand genades could blow up given the hammer treatment, don't need a hammer actually, well a mighty big sledge hammer would be one I'd consider . . sorry bfm I wouldn't have one of them on my conscience. but good luck with it whatever way it turns out?

ema1, Jan 5, 6:13pm
Eeeeuuuuw yuk. boat anchor, or land fill?