Reccomendations for small SUV

kyussr32, Oct 28, 9:22am
Hi all, I'm looking at a small/mid SUV for work. My preferences are 2dr, 4WD, petrol with reasonable power. Will be doing a fair bit of short urban drives (so no diesel?) but also towing a large trailer long distances and some gravel road work too. So far all I can see is the Suzuki Grand Vitara, any alternatives? Budget max 30K.

toyboy3, Oct 28, 9:30am
I would avoid two door , as they are hard to get in or out of when parked in a car park , as the big door has to open a lot further especially if the drivers seat is forward a bit

kyussr32, Oct 28, 10:23am
Thanks, they don't look to bad!

slarty45, Oct 28, 11:34am
Had a 3 door manual Grand Vitara for 6 yrs. Plenty power from 2.4. Never got it stuck & towed trailer real well. They seem to hold value good, must be desirable. $31,990+ORC new.

tweake, Oct 28, 1:46pm
how big is the trailer you need to tow?
what sort of weight?

i would not recommend short wheel base 4wd for towing large trailers.

fordcrzy, Oct 28, 2:05pm
Kia sportage

kyussr32, Oct 28, 2:29pm
Not too big, I can tow it ok in my 2WD 1800cc RAV. Probably 400kg loaded.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 28, 2:38pm
Skoda Yeti or VW Tiguan. Beautiful vehicle around town, super economical and tow very well.
Ignore the engine size until you drive one, CC rating means nothing, they have plenty of power.

tweake, Oct 28, 3:04pm
a tiny trailer then.

msigg, Oct 28, 3:32pm
1800cc RAV I think the early ones are 2000cc, get a later model RAV if that is good. Great vehicles not too many 3 door suv around. Suzuki make good little suv.

kyussr32, Oct 28, 3:33pm
Well lets not get into whose got the biggest trailer.

Just checked, its a Brent Smith canopy at 600kg to tow a 130kg bike and gear. My RAV struggles on hills with it so I need a bit more grunt for long trips.

kyussr32, Oct 28, 3:38pm
Thanks, might have a nosey. Are the smaller cc engines turboed?

thejazzpianoma, Oct 28, 3:41pm
Don't let this put you off trying the 1400cc Yeti and Tiguan. You will be amazed at the difference between an efficient and an inefficient drivetrain. Both will absolutely leave your Rav for dead, especially in the hills and when towing.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 28, 3:41pm
Yes, also direct injection and they have a super efficient transmission with loads of gears.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 28, 3:43pm
Also, both should have trailer stability control, so if you have a trailer fault or have to take extreme evasive action you can without any repercussions from the trailer. It's basically impossible to jacknife a trailer with one.

This is a big part of why these VW platform cars have been cleaning up the UK caravan tow car of the year awards for the last decade.

tweake, Oct 28, 3:52pm
its just big heavy trailers and short wheel base are not the best combo.
2500kg+ trailer throws them around fairly easily.
light trailer not really a problem, so you will be fine.

kyussr32, Oct 28, 8:49pm
Yea I've hired a ute in the past but will be needing to tow more often and work will require 4WD. Those Mazdas and Kias probably a bit big for what I need, 99% of the time its just me.

I hear ya on trans coolers, many moons ago my first work car cooked a trans and I've fitted aftermarket ones on every car since!

alfa13, Oct 29, 9:03am
Kia Sportage for sure, take one for a spin they aren't that big

phalanax, Oct 29, 10:38am
How about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yre9NzFkbg
Honda crossroad. retro fitted with a mini hummer kit
Cheap hummer. im thinking about it. these crossroads are cheap here. all you need is the kit that some aftermarket place in asia has. chrome hummer look grille,splash guards'door handles chrome/light surrounds surely.
The cheapest Hummer money can buy. lol

ceebee2, Nov 2, 8:22am
Hyundai Kona just released this week. Cheaper than most and has 2WD / 4WD options.
2.0L 2WD with 6 speed real auto, 1.6L Turbo with 7 speed dual clutch trans.I shall be checking on out in the next couple of days.

bobwyn, Nov 2, 8:59am
Go The Grand Vitara,I have had 2 of them I like the automatic the best 2.4 plenty of power took mine from christchurch to Invercargill and back with tandam axle trailer to pick up large can am quad in one day. just fan bloody tasic. Mine is the 2 door model.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 9, 10:12pm
You might want to stick with the conventional auto in that one. Hyundai are not very good with new technology and their dual clutch trans has had a horrible entry in to the market overseas. It has had both a recall and lawsuits. Most centres around poor software but there are apparently other issues as well.