LED LIGHTS ILLEGAL

Page 2 / 2
carcrazy8, Aug 5, 8:42pm

supernova2, Aug 5, 9:51pm
But how did he know that you had led bulbs?
Simply ask him which part of the VIRM says you can't have led bulbs and when he cant find it his case is blown.

clark20, Aug 5, 10:50pm
As above lamps come up to a standard like ADR/ECE or SAE etc. Changing the light source is a modification which also should be compliant. The LED bulbs may comply with EMC compliance (electronic noise) but not bulb standards, and are therefore not legal to use, and this has not changed , just clarified in the latest VRIM. For headlamps and tail lamps. If they are allowed how do you stop ones that are 1/2 the light output without a standard to comply too?

supernova2, Aug 5, 11:16pm
1/2 the light output is easy to reject. It wont pass the visable at 100mtrs etc.
I put up links to the VIRM below. I didn't see anything about what type of bulb is permitted. Also have a close look of the wording regarding repairs - "Repair means to restore a damaged or worn vehicle, its structure, systems, components or equipment to within safe tolerance of its condition when manufactured, including replacement with undamaged or new structures, systems, components or equipment." ie replace with new components.
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/direction-indicator-lamps https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/forward-facing-position-lamps https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/stop-lamps https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/reversing-lamps

clark20, Aug 6, 7:31am
lol a lit cigarette is visible at 100m, its all about compliance ie up to a standard
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/rules/docs/vehicle-standards-compliance-2002-at-11August2017.pdf

supernova2, Aug 6, 12:05pm
Do me a favour and point me to the clause that specifies that you can not have LED bulbs.
Thanks.

vnjsling, Aug 6, 4:43pm
You Can have leds if your car was manufactured with them as standard. But you cannot retrofit led bulbs into incandescent fittings including headlights. You can possibly retrofit a complete led fitting thats designed for your car as tail lights or headlights.

next-to-normal, Aug 6, 4:48pm
i got led every where except blinkers head and fog lights,passed warrant every time,i also put a single spare led reverse light too,and this is a testing station wof ,i did get pulled up once, my park light had a blue tinge 6000k,too picky

ladatrouble, Aug 6, 5:41pm
We've been going for days on this one, and still people haven't cottened on that it's for headlamps only. Another case of rip off artist importing crap, and everyone else pays for their miserly profit.

vnjsling, Aug 6, 5:59pm
They failed me for Every led even the Number plate lights. No led headlights fitted.

snoopy221, Aug 6, 6:19pm
Suggest ya READ and make yaself competent with the words.

! compliance marking!
Or go and get yaself an AVI yaself

LED replacement bulbs are generally illegal for use in marker, signal and headlights as they do not come with a compliance marking.

To avoid failing a Warrant/Certificate of Fitness inspection, all lighting equipment must comply with the law and meet approved standards

clark20, Aug 6, 11:59pm
They can read but they don't want to listen. Or think they know better.

goron56, Aug 7, 10:33am
Ive got LEDs headlights bulbs on all my vehicles and they've never been a problem at WOF time.

martin11, Aug 7, 11:11am
Do you actually get one for that vehicle ?

supernova2, Aug 7, 6:01pm

mack77, Aug 7, 7:59pm
Anyone will be able to tell because the turn signal lights will turn off very rapidly before they switch on again whereas when incandescent lamps are fitted the light intensity decays(dims) relatively slowly before they turn on again.
It may be difficult to tell if the red lights are fitted with LED's unless they are expensive high output ones, that can be purchased online from the USA, in which case they will be much brighter than when incandescent lamps are fitted.

intrade, Aug 7, 8:37pm
its why nz is the syster country of retardistan.
it only makes sense if it dont makes no sense here.

intrade, Aug 7, 8:40pm
They will be if somone finds the car did not have them with factory leds . There was a article in the motormag that in-trade business seem to get for free. about that the motorindustry is finding it a bit borderline rediculess for a blatent led ban across the range as new law.

richardmayes, Aug 7, 8:48pm
Why are they making replacing an incandescent tail lamp bulb with an LED one their hill to die on?

When a lot of new cars are coming from the factory with much worse problems designed into them!

E.g. cars with the front indicators built into the main headlight glass. so close to the main headlight that you'll never see the indicator when the headlights are on?

Jobs for statists. No you can't do that. It says so in my book.

_peas, Aug 8, 8:18pm
Mazda axelas tend to melt the red stop tail lense inside the clear cluster. VTNZ recommended gluing some red plastic in there (ironically closer to the bulb that melted it in the first place. LED stop tails, red in colour. problem solved, no issues. Even told them that was what I had done.

lookoutas, Aug 8, 10:02pm
Aren't they only concerned with the headlights?
I have some in my car, and I came home from Tauranga on Monday night. First night time drive since I put them in. Due for a WOF soon, so I intended swapping them out until the WOF was done.
"F that!" they're friggin staying out. Bloody useless light. Almost like driving on dip!

I might put them back in the fogs, as I like to be seen during the day.

clark20, Oct 31, 4:40pm
Yep, and they got it wrong. They didn't even check their facts with the industry leader.