O that Saddle Road

Page 1 / 2
rambler_man, Jun 29, 5:17pm
went over the other day, not changed much since I was living in the area, same corners just wider, same pot holes and tight corners and a lot more traffic

tony9, Jun 29, 7:22pm
What Saddle Road? There are many in NZ.

gammelvind, Jun 29, 9:23pm
My guess was the one between Ashhurst and Woodville, but then again could be the one by Turangi.

sr2, Jun 29, 9:49pm
Fantastic road, one of my favorite Targa stages.

gammelvind, Jun 29, 9:59pm
Yes went over it in a 911, that was a lot of fun.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 10:00pm
My Grandfather was the mailman on saddle road many years ago. He did the run in a fabric body Austin 7 with just one seat and for very good reason.

Early in the morning he would start at one end while the cream truck would start at the other. It was inevitable that they would meet at some point and there was not enough room for both to pass. So Poppa would deliberately drive in to the ditch, the truck would pass and stop. Then they driver would get out and they would take a corner each and lift one end, then the other of the Austin back on the road and carry on.

Poppa met my Nanna doing that run too.

nz_stacie, Jun 29, 10:33pm
Maybe te one to winz

yz490, Jun 29, 10:40pm
Last time i went over there was an LPG tanker upside down at the top corner before heading down the Woodville side, road was closed all day i think as had to get a pump truck from Taranaki to get the stuff out. That's sight i won't forget easily.

framtech, Jun 29, 11:02pm
All because the govt wont build bridges out around the slips.

rambler_man, Jun 29, 11:54pm
Yep that's the one, that is one of the main highways between Ashhurst and Woodville, what a great road. not

amasser, Jun 30, 11:28am
2024 before the new road is completed, if on schedule. How much of Saddle Road will be left by then?

rambler_man, Jun 30, 11:53am
Then it will go back to road closer days for car club hill climb races. ?

serf407, Jun 30, 12:13pm
Looks like it might be possible to use the Saddle road as a closed stage again.
The geology drilling work currently being done will partly determine if the option 3 replacement route for the Manawatu gorge is even feasiable.
aerial pic map in this
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releases/preferred-option-for-sh3-manawatu-gorge-replacement-announced/

elect70, Jun 30, 3:29pm
^^^Providing COL approve it as a priority or we wait until 2020 for new govt to build it . Even the Otaki Levin SH1 isnt set in concrete yet .

saxman99, Jun 30, 6:12pm
That. Is. Awesome.

rambler_man, Jul 2, 11:18pm
Closed again due to two car crash.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 5:43pm
Thanks.
You might also get a tickle out of this. Dad was one of 8 children, Poppa was a man of fairly humble means but of course land was affordable in those days. So he managed to build a nice little batch for the family at Foxton beach with cheap and reclaimed materials.
However. how do you get 8 Children to Foxton before people movers were a thing?
In two morris 8's of course!
His brothers then went on to race Morris 8's and Minors on Foxton beach (was some sort of weekend club thing I think). Apparently, they would shave the heads for higher compression and sometimes would get a bit too carried away so would have to run two head gaskets.
Also, Poppa met Grandma doing the mail run because she was doing a course (secretarial I think) in Ashurst and the Mail car was also a suedo taxi of sorts from time to time. Another interesting little anecdote of the area. This was in the late 50's and early 60's. At that time Foxton beach still had milk/cream delivery by horse and cart. As far as I am aware it was ladled out there and then(someone on here might know). Not 100% sure but however it was done was by horse drawn cart.

wenpen, Jul 3, 6:37pm
Classic, fantastic story

richardmayes, Jul 4, 2:19pm
I don't know why they don't just abandon the gorge road as a lost cause, and develop the saddle road. Even as it is It's as quicker and easier drive than the Rimutaka hill, and trucks get across that no problem.

captaink, Jul 4, 9:38pm
I remember when Manawatu Car Club used to hold hill climbs on both the Saddle Road and the Pahiatua Track, last ones back in 1971/72 from memory

strawman, Jul 6, 7:14pm
I used to drive over the saddle road in the late 70s/early 80s. Trust me it's a highway now!

woody1946, Jul 9, 8:27am
Chances are I would know your Grandparents, as I was born & lived in Ashhurst during that time. Have you got any names you would mention ?

saki, Jul 9, 10:53am
No they were still doing the saddle road hill climb after the new bridge went in on the Ashurst end.
best hill climb ever.

rambler_man, Jul 14, 4:04pm
The road was widened on the Woodville side to bring in the wind farm turbines, the other side was not touched

thejazzpianoma, Jul 14, 4:12pm
Unfortunately, I have a few real life stalkers on here so would rather not. Drop me a text or email and I would be happy to pass something along though. The family was quite distinct as Poppa had mostly boys and Poppa and all the boys were very short, skinny and looked quite similar.

Poppa's first name was Ralph.They moved up to Whakatane when the boys were mostly late teens.

Also, woody, if it's not too personal, if you told me what age you were I culd probably work out if you went to school with any of the brothers. They were spaced well apart. I think the older ones might have been a bit naughty as by the time Dad got to school there was a pause and a sigh after reading his last name on the first day of school.