WOF Question

eslnz.com, Oct 2, 6:56pm
I have a P38 Range-rover that I converted to coil springs, replacing the air suspension. Its a professional conversion, not a home made bodge, and the kit is sold worldwide, and as such has been through several WOFs without a problem.

VTNZ now reject it saying it needs a low volume cert.

Does anyone know the facts ? Does it really need a low volume cert ? (If so I will do a lot of other mods at the same time like a big body lift.)

stornello, Oct 2, 7:00pm
You've changed the suspension system, so yes it needs a cert. Pity someone was looking closely eh ? If it's all good it should fly through.

taipapaki, Oct 2, 7:20pm
No you don't need certification see pages 9 and ten and its the nzta that cant spell supplementary not me
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

snoopy221, Oct 2, 7:28pm
direct replacements (Bottom of page9)
mmmmmm
Cert Reqd

post#1. converted to coil springs, replacing the air suspension

kcf, Oct 2, 9:17pm
Definitely needs cert, this question is asked frequently.

pico42, Oct 3, 3:44pm
Do the body lift, do the suspension lift, fit big tyres, fit forced induction and get it certed.

rbd, Oct 3, 4:16pm
And rocket launchers and machine guns.

eslnz.com, Oct 3, 4:53pm
Yep, if I have to get it certified, it may as well get lifted as well.

tony9, Oct 3, 6:44pm
Yes and " replacement springs are self-retaining in their seats at full extension, without the use of non-standard devices such as wire-ties, straps, or external spring locators,"

The springs will need spring locators and something to stop suspension over travel.

cone1, Oct 3, 7:47pm
Landrover also allow the air suspension mode to be turned off to account for coil spring replacements

nz_stacie, Oct 6, 11:15pm
Ask the queen

lusty9, Oct 6, 11:17pm
needs a cert - wish you hadn't aye. lol

bjmh, Oct 10, 3:28pm
looks like he rolls to different beat. Due to the age and milage of this car we can make no accurate mechanical representation of the vehicle and MAY require unplanned repairs and maintenance that we are unaware of upon sale.
We have done our best to disclose anything immediately apparent but would recommend assessing and or inspection of the car BEFORE placing a bid therefore satisfying yourself of the condition.
The purchase of any old car is a risk and buy bidding you have accepted this and take the car on face value.

the-lada-dude, Oct 10, 5:18pm
tony9 wrote:
Yes and " replacement springs are self-retaining in their seats at full extension, without the use of non-standard devices such as wire-ties, straps, or external spring locators,"

if it has shock absorbers . that will take care of that problem . yes ?

tony9, Dec 27, 4:57pm
No. It requires non-standard spring locators.