Wow just had my first real road rage incident!

Page 1 / 2
db.price, Aug 11, 3:09pm
Saw the guy a few cars ahead of us in a POS Lancer. As we pulled off the lights he rode a van in front bumper less than a few feet away, weaved like he was going to pass, cut back due to a traffic island. Continued to ride the vans bumper until we went to a 80kmph speed limit and 2 lanes heading up Wainuiomata Hill. Overtook the van before the lanes were even split.

Then I am heading up the hill doing about 75kmh, he has slowed way down so I pass him along with a V8 Holden ute (who also passes me). The road is now 3 lanes wide, he is on the inside I am on the outside. He revs the shit out of his Lancer, cuts across all three lanes into my lane forcing me to brake. I jump on my horn. Next thing there is rubbish being thrown out the car, fingers being given (I admit to reciprocating his gesture). Head down the hill more rubbish, more gestures (just him now). Get to the bottom, he is in front of the Holden Ute now. Get to the round about, he gets out of his car yelling abuse gesturing to pull over past the roundabout, I give him the thumbs up. He revs shit again, through the intersection and pulls over jumps out swearing and gesturing. I drive past with a friendly double toot, a smile and a thumbs up.

Even better - the toddler in the back in a car seat watching all this happen.

Trying to figure what pissed him off more, being passed or being tooted at!

friendly_prawn, Aug 11, 3:57pm
There are many nutters on the road. Had one guy jump out of his car and came up to my car to confront me. I got out and met him. Didnt work out quite like he expected it too. But there was no need for his anger. He was just being a complete tosser. He was upset because I gave him a toot. He had been doing about 35k in a 50k zone holding up all the traffic. I gave him a simple toot and he wanted to beat me up for it? Unfortunately its part and parcel of driving now days. Sounds like you handled it well mate. Grabbing your phone and pointing it at them and pretending to film can be an excellent way of making them behave. Dashcam is great though if you want to teach them a lesson.

poppy62, Aug 11, 4:02pm
He don't like Red Mazdas.

mecanix, Aug 11, 4:23pm
The nui.

Say no more.

Damn i miss that place.

skull, Aug 11, 4:24pm
Nah he wanted to give him a heads up on the solution to his faulty red paint, he's in the trade.

bobnoob, Aug 11, 4:28pm
He just wanted to know where you got that neat sounding horn.

db.price, Aug 11, 4:33pm
For a factory one it is pretty good.

lookoutas, Aug 11, 6:34pm
I reckon a truck driver might have caused some rage last Thursday.
We were returning home from the Tron and came across a detour around some road works on the Hiwi's. Don't worry, this is only for those who know where we are at.
The detour sent us through Kopaki, towards Bennedale, over the tunnel to Waimiha and back out to the main road at Ongarue. Bit of a pain that they make a plan for those who can't drive on metal, as I would have taken a detour just before the Hiwi's had I known where the road works was.
Just before Waimiha, I noticed a truck & trailer up ahead with a convoy of about five behind it. I made a concerted effort to close up, as i assumed the truck would pull over at Waimiha where there is plenty of room, and let the convoy go.
I was wrong. He crawled up around the hill at 20KPH, but never mind, he will stop at the intersection on top (where I would have come out had I had the choice) But no - he didn't stop.
A little further on he had to stop due to an oncoming truck, and could have stayed put for a moment to wave the convoy past. No wuckin fay - he just drove off again!
A ute right behind him took a risky chance and got past. The car in front of me started ducking and diving around, and then started taking risks by clobbering the others one at a time, then finally got past the truck with only a KM to go to the main road. There was a heap of oncoming traffic, and if I had've started doing that, I would have got told off big time. And deserved it.

He finally pulled over when he reached the main road, and just about everyone that went past, sat on the horn. He was lucky he pulled off, as I had made arrangements to photo the back of his trailer, and would have taken it further. From when I tagged on, he turned what would normally be a 20 - 25 minute drive into at least an hour or more.
The convoy would have numbered at least 20 in the end.

Pulling up and having a talk to him was completely banned, and probably wise.
I don't even know the company name, but next time I see one of those crappy orange colored trucks, I will be taking note of the Co
Don't worry about suggesting 555. It don't work there.

intrade, Aug 11, 7:25pm
lookoutas was that north of taumarunui i had to take a D tour all the way to tekuiti on friday going back up north.

trogedon, Aug 11, 8:20pm
OP - you should make a formal Police complaint. Got a cellphone - did you video him?

mojo49, Aug 11, 8:22pm
"P"

fertman, Aug 11, 8:29pm
Nth of Taumarunui. Power company repairing span that was damaged earlier in the year.
Rex,you obeying Mother again.

marte, Aug 11, 8:42pm
There's no such thing as 'Inside & outside lanes' in NZ.
That makes your story confusing.
Even around the world they have totally different meanings.

tgray, Aug 11, 8:44pm
I trust you got his reg plate?
Report him to the Police.

db.price, Aug 11, 9:03pm
It is just a description. Three lanes, inside lane is the left, middle lane and outside lane right.

db.price, Aug 11, 9:04pm
Unfortunately no. The time that a dash cam would have come in handy!

aprilguy, Aug 12, 7:38am
OP what colour was the Lancer, I want to avoid it at all costs.

desmodave, Aug 12, 8:19am
Yip i reckon you could be right . Nothing like lack of sleep to make 1 grumpy .

db.price, Aug 12, 8:23am
White

cjohnw, Aug 12, 8:23am
I have deduced that in some cases the sound of the common automobile horn brings on the red mist in some drivers.
Only my own unsustantiated theory, but saw a young woman driver take particular exception to the sound once before.
I do use my warning sound device sparingly at times.

flack88, Aug 12, 10:16am
You have people taking Meth big time because of drug testing,rather than smoking dope,so you will get aggro and the gene pool is getting smaller.He was throwing rubbish out that's an offence and his driving sure is,at least it not the states were you would be in a shootout,and when the cops got there everyone mite get shot,so we pretty mild here most of them fulla shit when they get down to it.

amasser, Aug 12, 10:31am
Do it for other sensible drivers.

bazfan, Aug 12, 11:17am
DB Price. I have the Soul Crystal Red Mazda 6 and Ive found a massive increase of Road Rage towards me vs when I had my Grey Subaru Outback 3.6. I think people get pissed off because they think it’s a showy type of car

trogedon, Aug 12, 12:19pm
Do you have an English translation for that phrase?

horsygirl, Aug 12, 12:28pm
Sounds like another angry Labour Voter.