Portable solar panels for caravan

pete48, Jul 25, 6:43pm
I'm after a bit of guidance here. Looking at getting a folding solar panel (100 - 120 Watt). I don't feel like spending upwards of $800+ for some on the market. Looking at Camec at around $400. I see some on here that are in the $220 - 250 price range. Maxray as well as some unbranded. Has anyone got any positive info on these cheaper panels? Thanks in advance. Peter

mack77, Jul 25, 9:10pm
Some of the cheap ones are OK, but I wouldn't buy any of the cheaper ones.

fungles, Jul 26, 1:40am
I have bought a swag of these 3 years ago for my off grid cottage, excellent price,quality and performance, recommended. Listing #: 1707364354

the-lada-dude, Jul 26, 7:59am
That's a good price, QUESTION I'm using about 40 Kw/hrs a month from the grid ( trust power ) . so looks like 3 x panel's wood do me + storage . . How long B4 the system pays it's way, so to speak ? of course I realize there are other advantages , but can you do the sums ? . ta

fungles, Jul 26, 9:22am
Panels are cheap, its the battery storage thats the expensive bit. I have 2kwhrs of storage, thats around $5000 in batteries. And, you need sun almost every day, or some kind of backup charging system. Do your own sums, I have no idea of your situation.

mojo49, Jul 26, 10:05am
I bought a folding dual panel kit - 160 watts a few years back on TM for under $200 with controller. The controller was rubbish and I bought a good one on TM for about $80 which charges my two batteries separately up to maximum capacity no problem. Never short of power in the caravan. I am actually changing this year to two permanently roof mounted panels but will use the same controller.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 26, 11:10am
Why not permanent panels?

mojo49, Jul 26, 11:23am
In my case it was quick, simple and cheap solution at the time. Now I am more inclined to have the panels on the roof.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 26, 11:48am
I agree with you, hence the question. Portable is expensive and to get away with the sort of wattage the OP is talking about their power requirements would have to be very low.

mojo49, Jul 26, 11:53am
I may yet mount my 2 panels on the caravan roof and use my good controller. having researched it quite a bit I am happy I can do the job and not have to drill any holes in the caravan roof. I can put the cables down through an existing non-used UK TV aerial setup and have a convenient place to mount the dual battery controller.

pete48, Jul 26, 6:55pm
Using portable panels enables me to get more direct sunshine on the panels, particularly either side of summer. A permanent fixed panel on the roof is only efficient when the sun is directly overhead. I have heard of lower wattage portable panels producing more power than fixed because they can be aimed. My requirements are to charge 96 Amp battery, off grid no more than 3 days at a time. Using 12V TV at 35W, minimal 12V lighting and 12V water pump

two9s, Jul 26, 7:28pm
Surely you meant you have 20 kwhrs of storage for 5K? 2KW for 5K would have to be the worlds most expensive batteries!
I am about to direct purchase 25 kwhrs from China and the price for flooded lead acid appear to be about 2.3K plus shipping and tax this end.

fungles, Jul 26, 7:51pm
There is 60 percent of storage in lead acid that cannot be used, the depth of discharge thing. vs long life, Im counting the 40 percent i can use, not the total. to me a more realistic way to measure it. There are many more interesting and inventive ways manufacturers can state battery capacity, be aware.

kazbanz, Nov 12, 9:16am
pete -Im seeing your idea. The concern I would have is you remembering to move the darn things and the damage you could do moving them.
My parents have been "off the grid" for many years now and have solar and a single windmill as backup.