Is it legal to replace body tags/plates on a car?

Page 4 / 4
framtech, Jul 25, 7:24pm
One of the reasons for vin was a crime was being committed by gangs. What they would do is rent a car in say Christchurch, drive it to say nelson, go into the post office and register the car with a new plate, go to a key cutter and have a spare key cut. they would then sell the car privately, then using the spare key steal the car off the new owner, ditch the plates and put the old plates back on and drive the car back to the rental firm. Now that a cool 30k profit for a weeks work.

lookoutas, Jul 25, 8:40pm
There's too many assumptions going on here.
If you have a car that's been rooted, but has a live rego.
What's wrong with buying a good body and using it?
Far better than fixing the stuffed one.
What remains in one that doesn't belong there is purely up to whoever.
Bugga all vehicles now have numbers stamped in place. They're usually all plates. Some good models ya can actually buy the proper factory looking pop-rivets.

Although I've never done that once.

kazbanz, Jul 26, 5:10pm
Nope its a truck load easier than that.
take the PP's off the car. Go a testing station with them. Fill in Form MR6A with the PP number.(I might have the wrong number but its a simple form) They will issue you normal plates for the car and a icence lable to match.
Then hand the PP's to the owner.

nzoomed, Aug 22, 6:15pm
people do it with classic cars all the time.

trogedon, Aug 22, 8:17pm
Not "all the time". They're not open in the middle of the night.

supernova2, Aug 23, 10:12pm
I take your point but is that any different to a car that has had the rego on hold for 20 years just being taken for a wof and away it goes?
I bought a dergo car from an elderly couple. The oldboy had lost his license as no longer capable of driving so they went and derego the car as well. They simply didn't understand how it worked. Apart from a missing washer bottle (where would that go to?) the car was perfect 1 owner - less than 70K on the clock.

mohaka, Aug 25, 5:36pm
Seems OK in the UK as I saw the guys on car SOS swap bodies(original shot had excessive rust)on a Herald.It's really just replacing non warrantable car parts with ones that are up to spec safety wise.I suppose the cops wouldn't like the practice though as it encourages the crooks.Older cars were easy as the chassis details weren't stamped into the body and if colour were same,none would be the wiser.

kevlight, Aug 25, 7:50pm
just on that note the Rover SDI auto petrol 6 , i bought from a wrecker inland from Ashburton had a LD 28 diesel 5 speed dropped into it ,with Holden drive shaft adapted too it . first WOF i went to was in Leeston ,none of the numbers lined up ,the rego nuh the vin tags ,Nah and the work on engine /gearbox ,no compliance nah nothing ,Mechanics comment was its a Mongrel mate ,i dont know how they did it ,but for the slab sitting on the back seat as a sweetener ,it was WOF and commented dont bring it back . all in late 80 s i sold it to a cockie in Akaroa as a farm hack .hopefully never to be seen on the road again !

tegretol, Aug 26, 12:14am
Amazing how many people are so keen to tell the world about their criminal activities on here!

But swapping VIN plates is near impossible as the original VIN number is stamped on many parts of body shells. How do you think the Police manage to prove that a vehicle has been ringed?

alfred011, Aug 26, 8:42pm
chance of getting found out is pretty slim ,NZTA testing station don't look at engine numbers when jap imports come into country ,we had a problem with shady car dealer we got NZTA papers it said engine number was covered ,looked up on google to see where the number was ,it was stamped on surface on top of cylinder block took about 30 seconds to lift the bonnet and locate it .

tegretol, Aug 26, 8:50pm
Engine irrelevant. They certainly look at the VIN on the known points of the body and tick every single one off as matching.

marte, Aug 27, 1:34am
Yep, no problem swapping the engine as long as it's the same engine.

By in my situation, both cars are 100% legitimate. The donor cars paints a bit tough & the gearbox is shot.
The other car ( I don't own it at the moment, it's just a possibility) is 100% legitimate too. It's in fantastic condition.
Because the owner went overseas 6 years ago & left it parked up under cover, and told the person, or have them the impression that, he had "put the car on hold" and hadn't.
So the person storing the car never put it on hold & several years later they find out the cars rego has expired & to get new plates it will have to go thru a special compliance test, costing lots of $$.
And while the cars in great condition, it's not been used n near 7 years, it's ,a 21 year old car which once it gets under $2000 is not worth a lot at all.

They made the same model up till 2001, then upgraded it a bit. So it's still pretty modern $60k + new.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 6:37am
What about the HUGE number of used imports ? Most from japan do not have a VIN number until it arrives in NZ . They do have a chassis number but not a VIN

sandypheet, Aug 27, 6:43am
They do have a VIN number which is confirmed with Jap dereg papers when coming into the country. Japan will not follow the rest of the world and adopt the 17 digit vin numbers.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 6:45am
marte-in your specific case what you are proposing is against the law.
it really is just that simple.
We can go round and round circling this pot but it will still be illegal.
Yea I get it-its a victimless crime. You will scrap the other body etc etc.
Doesn't matter --its against the law.
Would I personally do it? -probably not -on the basis that its a shed load easier to just recomply the good car and use the other one as parts. then sell off the rest.

lookoutas, Oct 13, 6:57pm
marte - wink wink