Hilux vs Highlander

high-voltage, Oct 19, 4:37pm
Hi all, we're trying to decide whether to trade our highlander up to a newer model highlander (2014 +) or a late model hilux. I've been told however that the newer model hilux's are pretty bad compared to the older ones (we own a 2002). Apparently they're gutless and have no room in them. Can anyone sway us which way we should go. We need it for towing a large caravan, touring the south island in a couple of years, day to day travel to work and we also have two young kiddies. Any advice would be great!

bjmh, Oct 19, 4:53pm
What year hilux will you look at, how big is your caravan

monaro17, Oct 19, 4:53pm
two completely different models to be fair. The highlander is a soft roader for family use and will be a nicer vehicle to be in but the hilux is more suited to towing.
I would get the highlander so long as your caravan isnt too heavy.

tamarillo, Oct 19, 4:57pm
Sounds like an SUV is more useful to you, better space etc, but you're tempted by ute for tougher towing?
Certainly highlander is a large softroader without chassis, whereas ute has tow tough chassis.
So would you look at new Holden trial blazer? It's a ute (therefore chassis and tough off road parts) based SUV. Update of Colorado but seemingly much improved.

vtecintegra, Oct 19, 5:12pm
The Fortuner is basically a Hilux SUV and would be the obvious comparison.

vtecintegra, Oct 19, 5:13pm
BTW anything is going to be a massive upgrade in the power stakes from an older Hilux

msigg, Oct 19, 5:18pm
as above the highlander is more luxurious and comfortable than the hilux, Both are excellent vehicles and will have the same amount of pulling power for you, plenty of power, it depends what you want, go for a test drive to see what the seating is like and how they drive, for a family the highlander, for a couple who want to chuck the bikes in the back and crap then the hilux. Both are good for what you want. Good luck.

bwg11, Oct 19, 5:25pm
This. The Highlander is basically a transverse engine FWD, with an auxiliary drive to the rear for the 4WD version. Engine-wise there is no comparison. The Hilux is an average 4 cylinder diesel, whereas the Highlander is a powerful, smooth, petrol V6.

morrisman1, Oct 19, 5:26pm
what makes people think a ladder chassis is better for towing? Ive seen plenty pictures of cracked chassis and banana'd utes, but am yet to see a monocoque split in half.

high-voltage, Oct 19, 5:26pm
We currently have a 2009 Highlander which I love. Just wanting to trade up before the kms get too high (its at 160,000). Our caravan is 24ft.

mals69, Oct 20, 8:21am
Stick with the highlander, no doubt your rear passangers
will thank you for that choice too.

3tomany, Oct 20, 8:36am
This is what i was thinking the fortuner is a hilux closed in, or a surf replacement if you like. Utes have better resale value and can be easier to claim tax on.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 7:13pm
Drive some non Toyota alternatives. You will be very surprised. (can't tell you specifics because the Toyota or nothing brigade on here will just get upset, especially if I tell you to try something popular in a country that tows lots of caravans and has caravan tow car of the year awards.)