Kia Sportage 2011 onwards any good?

bazfan, Aug 18, 10:44am
Been looking at compact SUVs under $16K. Honda CRV is quite ugly, Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 is a bit noisy in the cabin/slow to accelerate on the open road and RAV4 is overpriced and I think just has an ancient 4 Spd auto.

There’s a few Sportages on Trademe and they tick all the boxes for me. I know Kia has improved a lot in the last few years but in the early 2010s what is their reliability and build quality like? Any thing to look out for?

I do 10-12K kms per year so wouldn’t need a diesel. Do you guys think the 2L petrol 2wd would be underpowered? I took one for a drive and it seemed peppy but then again it was only me in the car. 2.4 petrol is what I’d like to get but not many around and there’s a 2-4k price premium

Thanks in advance

3tomany, Aug 18, 1:58pm

3tomany, Aug 18, 2:18pm
Been looking for alternatives for ya and the kia probably looks the best especially if you are looking at the latest model rather than the old as they cross over about that time.

serf407, Aug 18, 6:19pm
One thing to be aware of is the Auckland Council's potential to have some form of 'suv ban' , that might grow to other vehicle parks to justify some bureaucrat's job that they are working hard to justify their ratepayer paid salary etc.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/106303686/auckland-transports-suv-carpark-ban-is-2018s-dumbest-decision

Check on how well Kia support their 'older' vehicles. I remember a cuz doing pick a part for an older sportage.
Would you get a better supported newer 'car' rather than an suv for under $16K?

bazfan, Aug 18, 6:47pm
Thanks Serf- I did hear that Kia and Hyundai after sales and service weren’t as good as the Japanese brands. Been very happy with Toyota and Mazda but in the SUV market the CX5 and Rav just are not the best value for money

bazfan, Aug 18, 6:48pm
Thanks 3tomany :) The Kuga is a bit too small at the boot

mojo49, Aug 18, 7:24pm
The Sportage is just a defeatured Hyundai Tucson, I think even back that far. Same under the paintwork and there is very little difference in price, like for like from my browsing TM and the Tucson has better features. I have been looking at the same options.

3tomany, Aug 18, 8:07pm
You are welcome, sorry i was not much help. Second hand medium SUVs are very rare Maybe honda crv, suzuki, Just avoid craptiva at all costs.