Saw a strange car today - a Toyota Classic

rovercitroen, Sep 4, 9:21pm
Parked in Te Aroha. It looked brand new but was 1998 on the rego. A really retro odd looking car.
Wikipedia says:
"The Toyota Classic was a limited-production model produced in 1996, which resembled the Toyota AA (which was a visual copy of the Chrysler Airflow). It used a fifth generation Hilux, type GA-YN86 rear-wheel-drive frame, with a two-litre 3Y-E engine producing 96 hp (72 kW) and 118 lbfâ‹…ft (160 Nâ‹…m). Its interior was taken from a contemporary Toyota, but made more consistent with the car's exterior by the addition of wood to the dashboard and leather to the seats. (This was similar to the work carried out by companies such as Mitsuoka.) Toyota sold 100 of the cars and charged roughly US$75,000 for each of them."
Had never seen one. The older couple driving it obviously loved it and it was attracting some attention in little old Te Aroha.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 4, 9:30pm
It's a shame the Japanese get about 80% there with those retro conversions but what they don't tend to properly kills them.

Thats why I really like the Nissan Figaro, it looks "complete" and has beautiful styling inside and out.

The Japanese can do beautiful form and style, but for whatever reason they bollocks up with really amateurish attempts when it comes to retro chic automobiles. Perhaps it's still a lack of funding for R and D that does it.

Even so, if tiny kit car companies can out shine them something is clearly wrong.

marte, Sep 4, 9:35pm

thejazzpianoma, Sep 4, 9:36pm
BTW. I think they did a MUCH better job with the Toyota Origin, so I will give them that. But then the Crown made far more sense as a base car than the Hilux.

rovercitroen, Sep 4, 9:51pm
I agree with you on the Nissan Figaro. I've always liked them.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 4, 10:02pm
I also like Honda's original classics of the 60's and 70's.
The Original Civic, S800 and Z600. They were not only beautifully styled but the Civic especially was quite advanced and beautifully thought out and finished for the time.
It would have been very interesting to see where Honda would have gone if it wasn't for Japans long term financial slump. They were doing so well up to that point.

captaink, Sep 4, 10:05pm
I shudder to think what that would fetch back in Japan if only 100 were ever built,

morrisjvan, Sep 4, 10:31pm
I can hear that oinking from here !

toyboy3, Sep 4, 10:48pm
Here is a photo from the Toyota museum Japan of toyoda first car https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/863701193.jpg

sw20, Sep 5, 7:50am
That’s the original owner on the left.

the-lada-dude, Sep 5, 8:10am
Jeepers Jazz, . the Japs can't do anything right . not even Pearl Harbour,

trogedon, Sep 5, 9:17am
Agreed. Like a little '60s Italian.

supernova2, Sep 5, 11:48am
Got to wonder how/why is one of these in NZ if only 100 were ever made. Surely it would be worth a small fortune.

tweake, Oct 5, 6:55pm
$75k and its got the boat anchor out of a poverty pack surf.
tho an antiquated push rod engine is in keeping with the style of the car.
but still for that money they could have found something much better.