Heater for small generator?

stuffed, Jul 9, 3:00pm
I have a 5 KVA hard wired (to our home switchboard) electric start generator that sits in a covered porch area but still gets damn cold in our southern winters and is sometimes takes a bit of starting.
Any suggestions for a semi permanent heating solution?!
Thanks

poppy62, Jul 9, 3:03pm
Why don't you make an insulated cover for it when it's not being used? Plywood box / polystyrene lined should make a big difference.

tweake, Jul 9, 3:08pm
insulation only works if there is heat in there in the first place.
so its a case of doing both.
do you get enough sun on that spot to keep it warm?
otherwise your looking at something like a coolant/block heater, or even just a small electric heater on a thermostat, in well insulated box.

s_nz, Jul 9, 3:15pm
Block heaters are common in some parts of the world. do some searching for one that matches your generator.

Often they work by replacing the oil sump drain with an element.

If that fails, there are stick on ones, that you stick to the engine sump.

Many standby generators I see in commercial or industrial settings have heater on them to ensure they start easy, and ramp up output fast when needed.

stuffed, Jul 9, 3:30pm
Thanks and should have said but have Para rubber panels on all sides - about 25mm thick.

poppy62, Jul 9, 3:31pm
An insulated box with a 60 watt light bulb on, in it will supply the necessary warmth.

stuffed, Jul 9, 3:32pm
Great idea thanks

the-lada-dude, Jul 9, 3:48pm
that makes more sense ! . doesn't matter how much insulation you have, the unit when outside will always come down to the ambient temperature

tweake, Jul 9, 3:58pm
put at least 100mm insulation around it. 25mm is nothing. but most importantly make the top air tight.
eg glue the top and sides together so it all lifts off when you need access.
that will hold hot air in.

if there is any gap at the top hot air will flow out and cold air will be sucked in and that kills the temps. especially if you use a low wattage heater.

use a thermostat. even better if its fitted to the engine. that way it will turn off when th engine is warm enough.

otherwise you will chew through lots of power trying to keep it warm.

mrfxit, Jul 9, 4:28pm
Minus windchill effect which can double the low temp

muzz67, Jul 9, 4:56pm
Are you off grid? If so, any heater is going to mow out your battery.
A small incandescent bulb is your easiest solution.

tweake, Jul 9, 5:24pm
?
a 60w heater uses the same power as a 60w light bulb.
you can get those 20w heaters if you want.

stevo2, Jul 9, 5:57pm
Insulate a box for the generator to sit in. Then install a heated towel rail (From 45 watt to 100watt) inside the box. Available from only $28 from Bunnings.
Install a timer if you only need it to run at certain times.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/our-range/bathroom-plumbing/bathroom/bathroom-accessories/heated-towel-rails $28 version https://www.bunnings.co.nz/arlec-3-bar-45w-white-small-heated-towel-rail_p00305154

gpg58, Jul 9, 6:23pm
Heat pumps, (opps)not for genny but to heat house.
If a decent clean supply, no reason to not run electronic stuff.
I ran all 3 (then, have 4 now) of mine thru the quakes, on a 5kw diesel cheap Chinese avr gen.
Nothing else will give you 1.5 x power used in heat output(full load operation) , or 4 x power used, at low to moderate output.
-------------------------------
-
My gennys, i drilled a small hole in aircleaner of each(opposite carb throat), and give a puff of "start you bastard", before i even try first pull, or crank, they Usually go first try.

pacewaikato, Nov 30, 3:13pm
Cupboard or wardrobe heaters.
50 or 100w options are available
Has a built in thermostat and around $125 from electrical wholesalers.