What will mechanics do when EV'S rule the market?

Page 3 / 5
tga73, Jul 2, 8:04pm
As a mechanic ICE cars there is really little to do oil change top up washers, most have lifelong parts now like timing chain etc.I had a guy bring in his 2005 outback in for service 25,000kms on Mobil 1 oil this is when he changes the oil.car has 680,000kms on clock the engine stock ,and this car is 13 yrs old.There are people still driving 1990 corollas around .Most work I do on cars is like you say.Evs are old tech and require a power grid ,mining ,toxic batter production not good

, Jul 2, 8:07pm
Except still nonsense, Although maybe there maybe theoretically true that wheel alignment may have an effect on range, it's not a real world problem that people experience. I have FAR more problems with the alignment on my diesel Terrano than with my Leaf, which has none. The aircon on a Leaf draws about 300 watts when first on, dropping to around 100 watts when running once the car has cooled, the effect on range is negligible and there is no servicing required beyond what an normal ICE aircon requires.
I've seen the battery inside I have a friend pulling one apart and selling the cells on here shortly, however that's not something your average user is ever going to have to worry about and for all intensive purposes the battery is not serviceable, although yes people pull them apart its not something that will ever need to be done for your average Leaf owner. Yes its the LBC, but once again that's part of the charger for your average Luddite and irrelevant to your average Leaf user, and not something that will even need to be serviced.

So EV-Enhanced in Christchurch offer replacements to high state of health batteries for $4.5k with your old battery as a trade. Nissan now offer refurbished batteries for $2800 USD which they claim are pretty much good as new. They're not available here yet, but inevitably they will come.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:09pm
Roadster been shelfed

, Jul 2, 8:14pm
No it hasn't:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster_(2020)

You see that Pikes Peak all time record has just been smashed by more than 13 seconds by VW's new EV.

Once you drive something like a Tesla Model S, you'll understand.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:15pm
If you are not aye Auto Engineer please don't make these pointless threads about cars you know nothing about.

bill1451, Jul 2, 8:15pm
Market opportunity for someone to install external speaker systems with prerecorded sounds of screaming rotaries
blow off valves ra de ra de ra.

, Jul 2, 8:16pm
This is an EV thread dude, I think you mean auto sparkies. Why are you here?

bill1451, Jul 2, 8:18pm
Joseph Lucas "the prince of darkness" english motorbikes
never needed oil changes cos it leaked out, you just topped it up.

, Jul 2, 8:19pm
The English vehicle experience, if it's not leaking oil you need to worry as it's got no oil in it.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:21pm
I have replaced many battery's on Taxis hybrids that is. Even hybrids battery's don't last with high use.Taxi drivers have told me that it works out they same cost or more than a ICE car.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:24pm
that's out dated they recently reported its shelf-ed

loud_37, Jul 2, 8:28pm
All these people on the EV bandwagon seem to have there heads in the clouds. You do relize that the govenment gets X amount of dollars from fuel tax when this starts to reduce they will put up RUC by the same amount they are losing as they still need the same amount of dollars coming in to pay for everything.

, Jul 2, 8:31pm
https://www.tesla.com/roadster

No you can reserve one in the states right this very second.

, Jul 2, 8:33pm
Totally different type of battery, Nickel Metal Hydride vs Lithium Ion, however you may not have noticed, but pretty much EVERY taxi is a Prius or Camry hybrid. Ever wonder why that is?

, Jul 2, 8:37pm
Yes, one day there will be tax on EV's, its not a head in the clouds issue, but even when there is they'll still be cheaper to run than a petrol vehicle. At 6c a km the current rate that would be $6 per 100k so I'd go up to $7.70 per 100km. However currently there's not so EV's are creaming it and they smart people are taking advantage of that now. Worst case scenarion we've got another 3 years of tax free motoring (until 2021). Do you think gas won't go up in price between now and then?

tga73, Jul 2, 8:38pm
I rented a Tesla in the states 4 years ago not impressed cheap fake leather ,wind noise,dumb doors played up,average braking,stupid touch screen distracting gets old very fast.Power steering failed on and off nearly killed me.They had to replace steering rack and still done it.
.Insurance was massive.Build Quality crap.We took it back to rental company they gave us a 2012 Lexus problem solved

, Jul 2, 8:43pm
Your story is difficult to believe, I rented one for two days in Chicago (was doing a roadtrip in 400 big block Torino) and it was the most spectacular car I've ever driven. The 0 - 100 in 4 seconds never gets old, the leather was just normal leather like any other car I've driven. The touch screen is awesome, but you only use it for navigation (all of the instruments are in front of you like any other car) so why was it distracting? The brakes were awesome, and I needed them as every set of lights is a drag race and the only time you lose is to a higher spec'd Model S with a braver driver.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:46pm
The Camry Hybrid is equipped with a Lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery pack on the LE grade and Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery pack on the SE and XLE.They have had these for a while. Panasonic make 85% of worlds car battery's including Tesla's ,Also Toyota/Nissan lead the world in this kind of tech the Japanese are very smart.

, Jul 2, 8:49pm
Actually it's a joint venture between Panasonic and Tesla, Tesla mostly make their own batteries in their own form factor, the 2170 cell.

tga73, Jul 2, 8:59pm
yeah but Some Panasonic executives are cautious about making new battery manufacturing commitments with Tesla,

bigfatmat1, Jul 2, 9:21pm
Saying to the average ludite the charger is the lbc is absolute rubbish the charger is part of the inverter assembly. Thats like saying the ecm in a ice is the petrol tank. The A/c can draw multiple times more than your quoted amount. And has considerable impact on battery draw. 5k new has now changed into 4.k second hand with a trade. The batteries are serviceable. Something doesn't become a sealed unit just because someone doesnt need access to it. By that logic the engine in my last car was sealed because in the lifespan of the vehicle the engine was not stripped. Sealed refers to just that unable to dismantle and no user serviceable parts but yet inside the battery we have parts that are available to replace controllers and relays that can be replaced. as well as individual modules. I have repaired 5 batteries this year. So saying people are not going to experience the need to have a battery serviced is also not true. Sure most people wont . However some will, just like some people have to fork out for expensive repairs on their crd engine.

tga73, Jul 2, 9:31pm
Drive a Lexus IS you will know what i am talking about and compare build quality and design you can see why Lexus is the worlds biggest selling Luxury car.Tesla not all bad I gave it shit had some fun. Just my experience .0 to 100 not a measure of a good car also is only fun when in a GTR or similar car the sound is the main part of going fast other wise you may as well be on a golf cart lol. But hey I fix Analise cars for a living so my view point is always objective.

tga73, Jul 2, 9:32pm
Yes but it sounds like they might cancel

tga73, Jul 2, 9:35pm
can you remember how much the insurance was?They told me that if you dent a Tesla it cast 10000s to fix even a small dent ,that's why insurance high .

tga73, Jul 2, 9:36pm
I don't know