What will mechanics do when EV'S rule the market?

Page 4 / 5
, Jul 2, 9:49pm
No it doesn't, they're constantly releasing news about the car and there's massive demand for it. A $200k car that has better performance in every way than a 2 million dollar car is a very sought after thing.

, Jul 2, 9:49pm
Yes Tesla's are expensive to fix (at least the Model S and X are), they are not cars for poor people.

, Jul 2, 9:59pm
I've driven lots of cars, including a wide range of Lexus's and GTR's from the R32 onward. Although the build quality on Lexus's is nice, they are snails in comparison to a Tesla.

Your viewpoint is far from objective, you've already stated you'll never own an EV and stated several times things which are factually incorrect.

I however have no such issues, I've owned everything from V12 Jags to English, American V8's and Jap performance cars, all of them have their upsides and downsides and I will own many more before I die.

EV's will ultimately become the primary motive power, they're fundamentally more efficient, far less polluting over their life-cycle, offer much better performance and reliability. Pretty much every manufacturer is investing billions as they can see the writing is on the wall.

strobo, Jul 3, 2:30am
Reading this thread again I see your high horse has bolted ! lol. You forget that electricity is just another alternative fuel for motive power ? Diesel v Petrol v L.P.G v C.N.G etc Neither one of them ruled the market persay! but rather have become inclusive /alternative modes of power for the transport sector .You mean the writing is on the wall with the ev? ,the spending billions is something else reminds me of Christchurch city Council,Women in or out of control,Greenies and Politicians that can't see past their noses. lol Seems like a good idea at first each type of vehicle will suite different people with different needs ,But ev wont be the front runner ever .Just all show and no go.

, Jul 3, 6:39am
Umm no, you must have mis-read the post? How does Christchurch City council remind you of EV's? I don't understand?. You are correct, EV's are just another form of fuel, that's what I'm trying to tell you, the most efficient fuel, that produces the least emissions and gives you vehicles with the best performance. Also we already have much of the required infrastructure, and we make it here in NZ adding to our economy rather than spending billions buying it from somewhere else. These are the reasons it is already taking over.

serf407, Jul 3, 7:08am
Why do those people you see on youtube sell the tesla to buy a petrol car again in the USA? Some dislike the control freak attitude tesla has.bigger version of an iphone. Imagine there will be a manufacturer who puts out an unlinked electric car sometime (a super leaf) for the independent and freedom minded who don't like being tracked and monitored etc.

, Jul 3, 8:15am
Most modern cars have some sort of telematics system, so no matter what high end car you but there's some sort of tracking going on. Your phone also tracks you as does pretty much any computer system you use, including the one you are using to post here on Trademe. Tesla still have the highest owner satisfaction rating of any car in the world and there are hundreds of thousands of people who gave put down a deposit to buy one.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-ranked-by-owner-satisfaction/

Tesla's problem is not that people don't want to buy their cars, it's still learning to build them fast enough to satisfy demand. Although with 7000 a week now being produced, they seem to be getting on top of this.

harm_less, Jul 3, 8:19am
Tesla is only one of a rapidly increasing amount of automakers who have EVs. Every major car manufacturer is developing multiple electric vehicles for introduction into their offerings, along with many new manufacturers who are sole EV marques such as Rimac.

Along with the move to EVs there is a real race going on to develop autonomous vehicles (driverless cars/trucks) and to operate successfully an AV must be tracked and monitored so that technology will obviously develop part and parcel with EVs.

alfred011, Jul 4, 10:46pm
EVs are crap ,there will always be petrol and diesel cars around .

strobo, Jul 5, 3:28am
Electronics are more of a problem re milli amps function & dependent on constant current flow and do malfunction! & are very susceptible to failure re water ingress in the wiring also electrolysis causing component failure whether they are a sealed unit or not they fail ,the corrosion where the wiring enters the component eventually gives way and enters into the part! .Ive seen several Police cars such the Holden Commodores less than a year old written off through this sort of damage through flood waters so how much more of a problem would a full electric ev give in here in NZ .Industrial electricity off the mains is a whole different world than the counterparts of an electronically controlled systems of an ev dependant on batteries!A great deal of problems now days is electronically related and not getting any better re mass production (china) of parts that fail with dry solder joints,connection problems etc .More time off the road than on.The mechanical s with ev are very little different ,you mentioned regenerative brake systems , same too with diesel trucks with types of that system that still wear out all the same and need extensive work getting them back to within service limits .I see everything good in ev only offset by bad in the long run. in my opinion that's why I don't like them also I see the trap of marketing ploys designed to suck more money from ya pocket .A good example look at mobile phones! samsung s1,s2,s3,s4.s5,s6,s7,s8,s9.If the product is that good to begin with what was wrong with the first one?That's the direction i see ev heading .

eddiedean1, Jul 6, 10:38am
Reckon EV cars could be decent. Hopefully mechanics still have a job as they are bloody useful tradesmen

eddiedean1, Jul 7, 12:34pm
What sort of computers do EV cars have? Are they all interlinked so if one component blows the whole car shuts down? Are they easy to diagnose problems or is it a worry?

footplate1, Jul 7, 2:52pm
There will be jobs for coal miners.

serf407, Jul 9, 10:21am

, Jul 9, 10:24am
Pretty much exactly the same as any modern car, only without the heat stress of a combustion engine and with far fewer moving parts.

serf407, Jul 9, 1:56pm

eddiedean1, Jul 10, 10:40am
So pretty much trouble free motoring then?

harm_less, Jul 10, 3:09pm
20-odd moving parts in an EV compared to a couple of thousand plus lots of heat in a fossil fueler = Much, much less to go wrong!

apollo11, Jul 10, 3:21pm
But fossil farters are really reliable if you maintain them. Tesla has had issues with motors and gearboxes, so they are not trouble free.

harm_less, Jul 10, 3:59pm
Might have more to do with high performance vehicles being higher maintenance whether EV or ICE, and particularly so in a marque that is only a few years old and essentially still ironing out development bugs.

, Jul 10, 9:47pm
Totally vehicle dependent, early 90's Corollas go for a very long time, but Alfa 33's not so much. Nissan Leafs, pretty much indestructible, Tesla's have had plenty of problems with reliability in there early cars.

But on the same token there's plenty of Tesla taxis with hundreds of thousands of km on them.

However electric motors are a fundamentally more reliable technology than ICE engines.

eddiedean1, Jul 10, 9:58pm
Do you think we will ever create a perpetual motion engine?

gsimpson, Jul 10, 10:17pm
No. Even if one makes a 100% efficient engine, as soon as you starting extracting energy it stops.

apollo11, Jul 10, 10:26pm
I'm a Design Engineer, I love electric motors. However the torque output of an electric motor creates another set of design constraints. They can be particularly hard on gearboxes, drive shafts and bearings. Plus you need to be careful with heat, electrical resistance rises with temperature, and before you know it you've cooked your insulation. Then there are the batteries to worry about. Hopefully these new solid state cells that are due out in a few years will solve some problems.

, Jul 11, 5:56am
With the exception of the batteries, these are all problems which are much worse with an ICE engine where something like 80% of your energy is being turned into heat. Sure heat dissipation in a high performance electric motor meant Pikes Peak cars had de-magnetisation problems back in the day, but not really an issue that effects your average commuter EV (like a Leaf). The gearbox in a Leaf requires an oil change every 200,000km, I deal with heavy industrial engineering machines, we have strong gearboxes sorted and having all that torque all the time means much more reliable drivetrains with no complex gearbox at all. Batteries are plenty good enough even at their current stage of development, with a big pack like (75KwH) they do hundreds of thousands of Km, and with prices getting down to $100 per KwH for some manufacturers we know they can be priced to compete.