Hiace Windows?

falcon74, Oct 3, 8:36pm
How hard is it to remove the side windows on a 1991 hiace. and how is it done. techniques please?

tmenz, Oct 3, 10:32pm
What model Hiace is that? Is it a YHxx series?

mechnificent, Oct 4, 10:08am
Fixed windows. you just put a lot of pressure on in a corner and keep it there, and hopefully get someone to use something to gently pry the rubber back from the other side so the glass can start creeping out. It's toughened glass and tough.

We used to get front screens out back when they were toughened by sitting in the car with our boots up against the screen and pushing like hell.

Don't try it with laminated screens though, they aren't tough at all and will break.

toyboy3, Oct 4, 10:14am
Need to release the rubber first by running a screwdriver around the sides

mechnificent, Oct 4, 10:20am
Yup. If the rubber is old and hard might be a good idea to give it a bit of a free up, pull back round the edges before you start.

Basically though you just put the pressure on and keep it on and the rubber slowly gives way.

falcon74, Oct 4, 12:55pm
It is a RZH113 sliding windows

mechnificent, Oct 4, 12:59pm
Doh. ok. don't try kicking that one out.

Never had one out but there will be a way. it's a toyota.

mechnificent, Oct 4, 1:01pm
Might be that you can slide the rubber forwards or back so it comes out of it's groove and away from top and/or bottom of the glass, and then right out. Then the glass might lift and just fit out. Wild guess here though. Worked on them but can't quite visualise how they are now.

mechnificent, Oct 4, 1:03pm
Open window to rear, pull rubber down and out of groove at front, then forwards so it comes right out.

mechnificent, Oct 4, 1:03pm
Photo might help.

falcon74, Oct 4, 2:34pm
Toyboy3 is that from the inside?

mechnificent, Oct 4, 2:43pm
Has it got a chrome strip let into the rubber around the face of it ?

Those are often a locking mechanism to stop the rubber distorting and letting glass fall out. if it has one of those it probably needs to be removed.

mechnificent, Oct 4, 2:45pm
Have you tried looking for a free pdf workshop manual for it Falcon. There will be one for download somewhere online.

falcon74, Oct 4, 3:11pm
Hi mechnificent thanks for your help. it has a plastic flashing on the outside? will try to put a picture up?

mechnificent, Oct 4, 3:49pm
Yeah a picture will probably help. someone will have done one. or one like it. we hope.

mechnificent, Oct 4, 3:50pm
I've had fixed ones out, and I've sat as a passenger and used a sliding one too. but I didn't take any notice . haha.

lookoutas, Oct 4, 6:05pm
It's only a rubber over a pinch seam - just flip the rubber over the seam with a 'blunt' screwdriver from the inside, while holding some pressure outwards. Work along the top or bottom, then up one end. By this time it should be getting quite loose, so if you haven't got someone standing outside to catch it, move to the outside and carefully pull it the rest of the way.

mechnificent, Jan 2, 10:02pm
Would the passenger and commercial vans have different windows ?

I'd have though it would be obvious how it came out. perhaps it's a passenger and there is a lot of trim.