Mazda's new SkyActiv-X petrol plans.

Page 1 / 2
ianalice1, Sep 7, 5:19pm
What you fellas make of this?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/road-tests/96441241/mazdas-new-skyactivx-petrol-plans-to-put-the-pressure-on-electric-vehicles
My poor old Honda Oddy dose an almost consistent 26 to 27 MPG around town and the odd trip into The Tauranga CBD.
Yes, MPG as I'm passed 65 and don't understand Litres per 100 Km's.
My 2nd to last year at school, 1967, had mad push to introduce metrics.
Only thing I liked was easier to work out ya monies on payday, but then I got married.

trouser, Sep 7, 5:21pm
Still buy your fuel in gallons and travel in miles?

, Sep 7, 5:50pm
An increase in real world efficiency from the current 20% - 25% to 35% - 40% is impressive, but it's still not going to compete with the 90% - 95% of electric and it doesn't solve the Co2 emission problem. With EV's with 400km + range already appearing on the market is seems like it's the losing horse.

stevo2, Sep 7, 5:55pm
ianalice1, try using an online converter. Heaps available. https://www.checkyourmath.com/convert/fuel_economy/imperial_mpg_liters_per_100km.php

gammelvind, Sep 7, 7:34pm
I'm close to retirement age and my head hurts at the maths required to drive a car in kilometres, buy fuel in litres and then convert the whole performance into imperial. I hope he converted the gallons into US gallons as the Honda was built in Japan which was captured by the Americans and thus is more likely to use that measurement than the gallon that came from the UK.

We converted to metric in 1972, and while I understand that some measurements have remained in inchs (wheels and tv) we have had 45 years to learn something so simple.

gblack, Sep 7, 7:42pm
I actually read the manual for my Triumph bike and found under set up, the digital display for the trip meter can be set to show mpg (imperial/US), l/100km or km per litre. Apparently getting bit over 50mpg.

Did think about setting the dash to imperial, but don't think I would get away with 'but I was only doing 100' (mph). ;-)

gman35, Sep 7, 7:58pm
UK magazine Autocar has had a drive of the engine in a current-bodied model 3 "mule". Pretty much says the engine is a bit unrefined and noisy at lower revs but with decent torque at more open road speeds.
So far still sounds like a case of "oh its great economy" while still putting up with something that is a bit "dieselly".
The ZOOM ZOOM gets further and further into the past it seems.
No mention of any new MPS models by the way. (sarcastically)

ianalice1, Sep 7, 7:59pm
Comes up with 10.46 which is meaningless

ianalice1, Sep 7, 8:01pm
I thought we changed 10 July 1967?
I convert litres & Kms to gallons and miles.
Very easy to do and means a lot more.
Yes wheels in inches TV seem to be both.

intrade, Sep 7, 8:05pm
i cant see any fueling figures . 30 % more eficient then what .

tmenz, Sep 7, 8:06pm
It's easy:
Just divide mpg into 282 to get L/100km and vice versa.

e.g. 26 mpg = (282/26) L/100km = 10.85 L/100km
e.g. 8.5 L/100km = (282/8.5) mpg = 33.2 mpg

Similarly, to convert L/100km to km/L and vice versa, divide it into 100.

e.g. 10.85 L/100km = (100/10.85) km/L = 9.2 km/L
e.g. 11.8 km/L = (100/11.8) L/100km = 8.5 L/100km

No computers, smartphones, or online calculators needed - just a simple pocket calculator or a bit of mental arithmetic.

intrade, Sep 7, 8:07pm
my 1988 1,7 uno diesel did 60mpg or 5.8 liter per 100k
The dacia 1.2 sandero 2011 also done 5.8 liter per 100k when i driven it and a maximum of 6.1

tmenz, Sep 7, 8:14pm
July '67 was decimal currency day.
General metrification was started about 1969 and was completed about 1976.

The standard metric measurement on NZ roads was deemed to be the Oom, which is why you'll see road signs such as MAJOR INTERSECTION AHEAD 3 OOM.

tmenz, Sep 7, 8:17pm
60 mpg = 4.7 L/100km
5.8 L/100km = 48.6 mpg
6.1 L/100km = 46.2 mpg

serf407, Sep 7, 8:57pm
Japan has a different electricity production to NZ's.
http://www.isep.or.jp/en/statistics Fig 4 show that Japan still has a lot of electricity produced from fossil fuels. https://youtu.be/4nT0mCa4zMo skyactiv 2018 car

intrade, Sep 7, 9:33pm
there is 2 different mpg

Miles Per Gallon (UK) 40
Miles Per Gallon (US)33.31
strange must have rememberd wrong mpg it be 50 mpg abouts as i clearly remember 5.5 to 6 liter the specs in my diesel book is what i got back then.

tmenz, Sep 7, 9:37pm
We didn't use US measures in NZ!

intrade, Sep 7, 9:46pm
i remember my opel 2.0 rekord used 6.1 liter
my golf gtd used 6.0 and my nissan bluebird ld20 also used 6 and a bit liter for 100km. the fiat diesel was lower its why i have 3 of them fiat diesel still.

db.price, Sep 7, 9:47pm
There are only a few EVs that do that number and some of them are pretty damn pricy. The Tesla s does that - $135,000 NZD. Or the Tesla SUV $180,000 NZD.

Opel have just released one that does that range but is a compact not a full size.

The new Skyactive X does look impressive for what it can do. It shows all car makers that going hybrid or electric is not the only way to solve oil use issues - just get more and more efficient. Now the cat is out of the bag expect to see all the majors car makers move towards this - it will be cheaper for them to do rather than go the other direction.

stevo2, Sep 8, 5:51am

, Sep 8, 6:36am
But of course commercially available EV's are new to the market with even the oldest among them (The Nissan Leaf) really only available in numbers in NZ (as Jap imports) for a couple of years. The internal combustion engine has been our primary mode of propulsion for over 100 years, so obviously it will take a few years before EV's filter through NZ's largely used market.

But basically everyone is now on the EV band wagon, with models with 400km + range due over the next few years from, BMW, Toyota, Hyundai, VW, Mercedes to name just a few of the more mainstream makers switching. Even Porsche are saying 50% of their models will be electric within 6 years.

The writing is on the wall, although this technology is an improvement, it doesn't change the fundamental problems with internal combustion engines, emissions. If someone can do that then they still have a long term future, if not then they'll go the way of the dinosaur.

db.price, Sep 10, 6:34pm
That is a huge improvement on the look of the Leaf. Only thing missing from the story was the $$$$.

I have said it before that electric cars other achillies heal is their price. Normally priced significantly above a simikar sized ICE car. So the $$$ saved in running costs are taken up by the initial outlay. Then they appear to depreciate faster as well - so a double hit.

Eventually electric will be the standard but not for 20 years.

, Sep 10, 7:28pm
The new Leaf is $29990 US, less than the average new car price in the US. Depreciation figures are not really applicable to your average kiwi as our Leafs are all imports and running cost savings massively outweigh deprecation. Tesla's depreciate slower than equivalent cars in the US. As soon as new EVs are the same price for the same vehicle as your freshly purchased ICE will be pretty much worthless. According to the industry this will be 2023.

db.price, Sep 10, 8:25pm
No way that happens in 5 years.

Tesla don't depreciate fast because they are niche cars that are not in high production.

Trouble is EVS are not the same price for the same car. US prices normally have significant insentives that don't transfer to the non US market. So that new Leaf needs to be a similar price to the Qashqai, or Lance, or SX 4. Being that price still isn't enough if it can't travel as far as them. And it can't.

, Sep 10, 9:38pm
Actually most in the industry disagree with you. It will probably happen faster than 5 years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2017/05/22/electric-car-price-parity-expected-next-year-report/2/#2fa31dc97139

The thing is that EVs are much simpler to produce than petrol or diesel vehicles. Once battery production (the technology is already fine) is in full swing then EV prices will come down quickly. Pretty much everyone is building battery factories as fast as they can.

Even today a used Jap import Leaf makes financial sense for anyone commuting any distance each day.