david_270, Jun 20, 8:44pm

the-lada-dude, Jun 21, 8:14am
Stop throwing stones you pratt

sw20, Jun 21, 8:40am
Quality thread dredge.

gph1961, Jun 21, 8:40am
your optarectomy is booked now take your meds then have a rest

intrade, Jun 21, 3:10pm
engine piston crack vw had that issue in 1970 with there prototype tdi engine and it was solfed by the time 1996 the tdi went in production.
Toyota on the other hand never done any form of R&D in to diesel its why vw diesel are the worlds best . and that emission crap is fake news no one dies from diesel emissions and definetly no one dies of exess nox emissions. You have a better chance to die of vulcanic ash clouds .

72xu-1, Jun 24, 2:23pm
The definition of the word ‘fake’ is: forgery, not genuine, or sham, to name a few, and I dare say that the heads at VW that have rolled, the senior exec who was jailed, the shareholders affected by the huge fines that were levied, and the owners disadvantaged by the thousands of dollars wiped of the value of their vehicles would all say that this is a real situation and not ‘fake’ as you claim.
As for your comments on the health impacts of vehicle emissions - are you a qualified clinician with expertise in respiratory related ailments? If not then perhaps you are the one speaking crap? Then again maybe that is your field of expertise since not many of your posts make much sense to me.

david_270, Jul 5, 2:27pm

kazbanz, Jul 5, 2:53pm
So a mag takes a vehicle and thashes it in the auzzie outback. fills the air intake with dust so its a major fault? heck even the mag concerned admitted its a 5 minute fix roadside/trailside. ie disconnect the battery,remove the air intake and blow the dust out then put it back together. Tools required 1x screwdriver and 1x 10mm spanner.

david_270, Jul 5, 3:00pm
A bit more than that.
" “It has now been raised as a design issue with Toyota in Japan,” a spokesman told 4X4 Australia. “They will be working on a redesign of the air intake system.” "

kazbanz, Jul 6, 10:02am
Nope it ain't more than that--it is EXACTLY that. The issue is that you are out in the back of beyond in your 4x4. You fill the intake with bull dust and the vehicle goes into limp mode. So a bunch of Auzzie journos beat their chests how major a problem it is. Then egg on face turns out the fix is pretty simple. disconnect the battery .Blow the dust out bung it all back together and get under way. The argument--Ohh we could be stuck in a storm is a stupid one-the very reason the intake clogs is killed by the rain.
Have they never needed to give the air filter a clean out before?

david_270, Jul 13, 2:59pm

thejazzpianoma, Dec 4, 2:03pm
That looks like a 1AZFSE to me (see video attached to see if you agree) so yes its a D4 engine.

Aside from that, I don't think I would want to be in one of those in a crash. They are not a "world" export car and most of those Asian only vehicles are pretty horrible in a crash.

Despite being direct injected, they run a silly old fashioned 4 speed auto so are not even that good on gas.

For the money you could do a LOT better in my opinion. That money would buy a really nice VW Touran which is far nicer to drive, better features, super safe, better on fuel, quicker and actually better for parts due to worldwide production numbers.

Take one for a drive and be amazed at the difference.

My 2C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crg_a415AMk

patxyz, Dec 4, 2:15pm
ah right - told you my knowledge was limited, thanks

As for the Touran, thanks but dosent have the layout or 'features' I am after

thejazzpianoma, Dec 4, 2:18pm
Fair enough. Also. the other real shocker of an engine to avoid is the Nissan 4 Cylinder 2.5 as found in the Presage.

kazbanz, Dec 4, 3:19pm
MY suggestion to you is to ask the dealer what the engine number is. The Voxy/noah came out with three possible engines.
Once you have that then I can supply you the info you need.
Then again--you could ask the dealer

tgray, Dec 4, 3:19pm
In your opinion.

dublo, Dec 4, 3:26pm
I note the advert says it is "chain driven." Luddite that I am I thought chain drives disappeared after the end of the 1920s Frazer-Nash competition cars, ha ha !

thejazzpianoma, Dec 4, 5:01pm
Also the opinion of thousands of others and probably even the manufacturer given they replaced so many under warranty and tried to remedy a fairly unfixable problem.

But yes, sure. In my opinion.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 4, 5:17pm
The other two engine possibilities are variations of a different type of engine the 3ZR.

It's super easy to spot the differense between those and the AZ Engine even for a layperson once you know what you are looking for.

The AZ engine which is in the car in question has the exhaust manifold (that's where the exhaust pipe connects to the engine) on the front. This will always have a silver cover on it to help stop you burning yourself. The cover will say "HOT" or some such on it.

The ZR engine has this on the back of the engine. Instead on the front will be a similar set of pipes but that's where the air goes in to the engine. So these pipes do not get very hot, will not have a heat sheild and if I remember rightly will be black and made of a kind of plastic (can't do that with an exhaust!).

There are other differences but that's an easy one to spot. Also. in this case it's particularly easy as the ZR series engines didn't even exist until 2007.

By all means get all the information you can from the dealer. However, do double check anything critical. Dealers don't know everything and some sadly are deliberately misleading.

Notice, Kaz above, he is a dealer and didn't recognise the D4 engine by sight. Now that's fine, but some dealers will tend to lie when this happens rather than be honest that they don't know and risk looking silly.

If you do stay with Toyota and are set to buy something with the better ZR type engines (as in better than the D4 but still some weak points to check). Come back as there are a few things you can check yourself to make sure you have a good one before you go as far as paying for a pre purchase check.

intrade, Dec 4, 5:44pm
d4- THe D stands for direct-injection 4 is the number of pots i would say.
Direct injector petrol should be run on 98 Ron minimum. Should like anything else should be run on 95 Ron minimum. GDi Gasoline-direct injection
FSi Fuel- syneric-inijection all gasoline direct injection 98Ron for anything direct injected.
D4D is a diesel toyota comm on rail

msigg, Dec 4, 6:13pm
Well ive seen plenty of D4 engines done 350k no problems, you need to service all engines properly and they won't let you down. Kaz has good advise, ask the dealer and go from there.

gammelvind, Dec 4, 6:17pm
Run your D4 engines on 98 and you should have minimal problems especially with the post 2000 units. Virtually every one that has issues has been fed 91 and choked itself with carbon.

patxyz, Dec 4, 9:12pm
Thanks for the input and opinions.
The photo is the dealers response when I enquired about the engine.
I think I'll pass. Now the seed has been planted, nagging thoughts in the back of my mind means I wont get to enjoy the vehicle should I buy.

Thanks again.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 4, 9:27pm
If that was the dealers response to your question then definitely buying from someone else would be wise in my opinion. That doesn't speak well for their knowledge or customer service.

Happy hunting!

bumfacingdown, Dec 4, 9:30pm
I dare say that you can not spot in that post why people would not think much of you or your opinions, sly little digs all the way