Toyota Raum auto's any good?

Page 2 / 2
ema1, Sep 30, 1:43pm
The name "Sir" is too damn good to be applied to him.
Bafoon and sir definitely don't go together.

ema1, Sep 30, 1:55pm
Sheezis you are such a pompous fact twisting twat jazz you just use the bit there that suits your twisted moronic agenda.
The O.P. was actually asking about a vehicle (Toyota Raum) in general not just the auto box in it, though it was mentioned in passing, to which answers came back about the pretty much bullet proof nature of them but ah no you have to go complicate the crap out of the whole thing with your Euro spamming propaganda and blatant lies . again . when Euro's weren't even asked about?
Here read the whole damn 1st post on this thread. (Cut & Paste)>>>
------------
Have a need for a cheap 2nd car for a few months.
Found a 1998 Toyota Raum, 149000km.
The car looks tidy, but are the auto gearbox in the Raums OK?
No problems I should look for?
Or best to forget the Raum and find 'something' better.
It's a $$ thing. the Raum I can afford, and it is only needed for a while then I'll flick it on but I don't want it to have any issues during that time.
Thanks (and yes, I would probably prefer a manual gearbox anyway).
-----------------

FYI they are pretty much bullet proof in that department unlike your VAG fanboy DSG total piles of crap and you can add to that the crap that FIAT produce too.
Geeeez you're thick haven't you worked out yet that Euro's aren't part of this thread topic.
You think you that high and mighty that your shite doesn't stink.
You have one qualification that fits to a 'T' totally arrogant twat. (T.A.T.) !
I'm afraid your credibility has taken another massive hit and as such your credibility rating is virtually zero. rating . bah you don't rate IMO.
I for one plus many others simply can't abide you any more so 'B' well naff off noddy !

ema1, Sep 30, 2:20pm
Chalk up another totally wrecked thread here. jazz you seem to be going for a record for sure, unpopular award would be it.
You accuse others of not contributing sheez what a bloody cheek, you contribute crap that is derogatory unrelated and frankly off thread title topic all the bloody time, if that's how to promote Euro's then no bloody wonder folks get the utter hump with your antics.
Your vitriolic rants when you don't get your way is frankly disgusting and I'm afraid you don't impress folks least of all me by continuing with the lying propaganda laden misleading and un called for Euro rhetoric
A very effective way of getting folks backs up if they were errring towards a Euro and effectively putting them off permanently, lies and total all pervading B.S. to convince folks is totally counter productive. you treat folks on here as though they are absolutely devoid of brains when they in most cases would and seem to have a more developed and more stable powers of thought and understanding than you could ever credit them with. or even have yourself. total arrogance that is plain and simple to see. it's so obvious it's laughable !
You are a professional B.S. artist. of the 1st order.

ema1, Sep 30, 2:36pm
Even if a cam belt did break they use a NON interference design meaning no damage to the engine would result and at the very least the cam covers could get split/cracked or other is all if belt balls up after breaking. highly unlikely though in my experience.

ema1, Sep 30, 2:46pm
What a load of utter bull pucky. you only say this because you are an absolute Toyota hater and also to suit your cocked up Euro agenda. what a prize clown you are, seems it's impossible for you to desist. that doesn't answer the questions at all far from it, that's just a total pack of lies you dished up?

ema1, Sep 30, 3:01pm
How dare you tell me to learn about vehicles made in the last 30 years you utter arsewipe, they were my stock and trade for a good long time in my motor trade days how bloody dare you !
You have the bare faced cheek to doubt my motor trade credentials, now your credibility has now taken the biggest fall of all.
You speak as though you know it all when in actual fact you know SFA and come out with so much drivel it's totally laughable.
Bullshite and Jellybeans is way above your comprehension.
You wouldn't know the difference truth and utter lies if they hit you between the eyes . well there isn't a hell of a lot behind your eyes nor even between your ears.
Your credibility for most folks on here is absolute zero.
Sounds like a propaganda competition between you and Dr Goebbels aw hang on . he's dead . you win !

ema1, Sep 30, 3:38pm
Wrong no this isn't stupid . you jazz are the one who is stupid. utterly stupid !

ema1, Sep 30, 3:45pm
You didn't stop there though did you, you couldn't help yourself but go and spam this thread with your VAG /FIAT crap and utter lies when they weren't asked for. holy moly you are either desperate or just plain thick !

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 5:47pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/652166071.jpg

I am laughing but it's quite sad really.

gettinggrey, Sep 30, 5:47pm
Well, I came back!
Gave the Raum a miss.
Old boss is loaning me his Mitsy FTO for a while, so I don't have to buy a car just to get to work.
Ahhh, the joys of being 'retired', and being wanted.
I did enjoy 'some' of the ripostes on here.
Nah, sorry Jazz. I do like that you are back but I'm not into Euro's.
Was a BMC mechanic many years ago (like about 50 - 55 years ago).
Worked on a lot of the old VW beetles and Combi's.
Not saying much, but they 'seemed' to be well made back then compared to some of the BMC rubbish (Maxi, etc).
Anyway, dream is to get a Model A again. Wish I'd kept any one of the 4 I used to own.
Cheers guys.
Much appreciated all your respective wisdom.

ema1, Sep 30, 6:46pm
Good for you gettinggrey, I know what you're saying re retired good one eh, I like you had a big and varied experience on cars of the BMC makes owned a number of them too Farinas mainly and Morris 1000 and s3 Oxford way back in time.
Did my time on GMH, Toyota, Chrysler/Rootes and Mitsubishi stuff among lot of "ring ins" for neigh on 18 years until health got in the way somewhat, though still have strong affiliations still, did heaps of dash instrument work as well as the rigors of the mechanical side too plus lots of heavy truck,4WD and tractor work as well. so well versed in pretty much all of them.
Electronics I did a lot of too when it was coming on stream back when I was in the game.
You get well versed into what makes are good and those not so good for sure and my views on that subject is very much fixed as to which and isn't ?
So no cost to you in the end . even better I must say having a car on loan. for a while no matter how long.
I at least answered your question directly and I don't deviate from what's being asked about.
One thing for sure British cars were mediocre at best but were a lot of fun well some of them were.
Euro's as you say VW Beetles of the air cooled variety were well proven simple beasties for sure worked on heaps of those but modern Euro's just don't cut it with me either. had a couple of recent ones BMW's never again, still got an older low mileage Volvo and an as new Mercedes 220SEb built at a time when their makers had pride in their product but sadly lacking these days.

ema1, Sep 30, 6:54pm
Sad when you laugh at blank /blocked items now that is weird. and on it goes, keep laughing jazz actually the joke is on you. plus you'll be able to read all posts just you won't admit it. if you can't/ won't see my posts .even if lots are totally not referring to you in any way.everybody else can see them and nothing changes frankly I couldn't give a rats arse what you do you're not worth it IMO sad really, poor bugger or just plain arrogant the latter definitely!
Laughing Gnome comes to mind. err no that's too good for you when I think of it !

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 7:59pm
As a Model A person you will likely get a real kick out of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7i9HcheVio

Best of luck with whatever you choose. If it's just going to be a run about you may as well just get a Model A in my opinion, they are perfectly motorable and the Raum is devoid of many of the modern conveniences anyway. So may as well do it in style.

You probably know this but rubber engine mounts make them a whole lot more pleasant as a daily driver IMO. There is also a sneaky trick you can do with the brake rods to give the pedal more leverage and feel. I haven't tried it but will no doubt on a project one day. Oh and as a BMC mechanic you likely know that there are some BMC shells that make a nice upgrade to the white metal on the conrods. Have collected a few tricks for them over the years!

Happy motoring!

snoopy221, Sep 30, 8:15pm
Model A. AYE.
L O L
! Ya Juss Gotta ***JAZZ** it up a bit!
BDA?

http://www.performancegarage.com.au/blog/bda-powered-%E2%80%9929-model-sleeper Or zee ole V8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7pxDaEN7l8

gettinggrey, Sep 30, 8:54pm
Thanks guys.
The Missus knows a Model A would be just the right car for me.
Lost track of how many Model A, and side valve V8 motors I've built.
At 70, I don't have time to mess about restoring one for years.
Can I get one in from USA these days still?
Or, has NZTA made it too hard?
Hmmmm, this thread has changed topic a tad. Still, it's all about some basic transport. Don't know how I'll fit in the FTO. Too many miles truck driving haven't helped the lower back, so the Mitsy may not work out yet.
Thanks for those links too.

jmma, Sep 30, 9:18pm
Now a Model A Thread :oP

bumfacingdown, Sep 30, 9:27pm
My experience of the FTO is they tend to be front heavy and will skate straight ahead if you rely on the brakes alone

gettinggrey, Sep 12, 9:29am
Have a need for a cheap 2nd car for a few months.
Found a 1998 Toyota Raum, 149000km.
The car looks tidy, but are the auto gearbox in the Raums OK?
No problems I should look for?
Or best to forget the Raum and find 'something' better.
It's a $$ thing. the Raum I can afford, and it is only needed for a while then I'll flick it on but I don't want it to have any issues during that time.
Thanks (and yes, I would probably prefer a manual gearbox anyway).

kazbanz, Sep 12, 12:02pm
A 1998 Toyota Raum 1500cc IS a Toyota Corolla 1500 as far as your question is concerned.
Same bullet proof engine and transmission.
That said it is a 19 year old car so getting it checked over is ALWAYS a good idea.--A LOT could happen to a car in 19 years.
There are no specific to the Raum issues but a few general older car concerns.
1) When was the cambelt/waterpump replaced?
2) are the crank and cam end seals weeping ?
3) how does the car shift gears?
4) what state is the cooling and cabin heating system in?
Other than that You are fairly safe.

gettinggrey, Sep 12, 4:56pm
Thanks kazbanz, much appreciated.

franc123, Sep 12, 6:56pm
Just put it through a standard PPI, as with any car the state of ALL the fluids in it (not just the engine oil) is going to tell you how well its really been maintained.

intrade, Sep 16, 9:34pm
4 cilinder 3 and 4 speed auto bullet proof just remember bullet proof wests also fail if you shoot enough bullets at it.
Means if not the tipical toyota owner owned it who thinks services are for european crap and the wof is all the items the car ever will need for a service.
unscrew oil cap and look in there if its looking like your grandmaa baked a cake in there close lid its owned by the tipical toyota moron who never serviced it

ema1, Sep 22, 12:19pm
Boy you do have a generalizing chip on your shoulder intrade, You may have seen a few like you talk never serviced Toyota's but applying the "carte blanche " statement like that makes me wonder about your credibility, it's hard to believe all Toyota owners don't service their cars . far from it. I know lots besides myself who have their Toyota's serviced in a proper manner and that's just in my locality.
Short distance stop start driving is one of the main reasons you see "porridge sludge" under the oil filler cap where the engine doesn't get a chance to warm up properly or don't you know that yet?
Even with good servicing VAG crap still has problems of one sort or another. no servicing Vag stuff like you say about Toyota "moron owners" do or don't . they would be to a big extent HAND GRENADES !

Incidentally O.P. in answer to your question the Toyota Raum is a mighty fine vehicle and I agree whole heartedly with kaz's summation and check it out advice on this vehicle, you will like it I'm sure, the Corolla based set up is a thoroughly tried and true one. good choice there.