Toyota Raum auto's any good?

Page 1 / 2
gag5, Sep 29, 9:59am
love my 1997 raum. but it is getting old & using a bit of oil. never had any issues in the 8 years I had it. has so many features I would miss in another car but probably need to change vehicles soon. elderly parent has a much later model (he sought it out after driving ours) but not anywhere as good (in our opinion anyway.)
I'd almost look at getting another Raum (not late model) I like it so much!

vtecintegra, Sep 29, 11:06am
I’d be a bit skeptical about the safety of that model given the door layout.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 12:09pm
So long as it's about $1500 and in very good shape. Any more than that and you can do a LOT better for your money.

westwyn, Sep 29, 12:15pm
Unlikely for $1500, you won't, not at those km, unless you chance upon one at auction, and even then, people know what they're worth and pay accordingly. Assuming it's tidy and with no particular issues, then at 149,000km for a 1500cc I'd suggest you need to be budgeting between $2000 and $2500. They're popular and bloody bulletproof (with the usual caveats. )

tgray, Sep 29, 12:47pm
You cannot buy any car for $1500 and expect it to be in very good shape.

ema1, Sep 29, 1:22pm
Rarely do the two go together. but at a more realistic $2K they are brilliant.

tgray, Sep 29, 7:55pm
If that is the adjective you use to describe a $2000 car, how do you describe a $10,000 one?

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 8:48pm
Really?

I bought my 2003 Peugeot 307 for $1400. It was pristine inside and out, with recent timing belt service. 79'000km on the clock. I did 30'000km in it with just basic servicing and a replacement starter motor.

Good buys are there for those who look outside the box.

Thinking about it, my Citroroen Xsara was a similar price. So was my Smart forfour. Both in very good condition.

bumfacingdown, Sep 29, 9:00pm
To a lot of people there is a huge difference between 2 to 2.5k and 3.2k, plus of course there is the obligatory 1500 to 2000 service on what you suggest, making it more like a 4.7k plus car, a long way off 2 to 2.5k

bumfacingdown, Sep 29, 9:10pm
"As little as $700."
Or as much as 1200, besides the point as yes, EVEN $700 can be a lot to some people

"What obligatory service? "
The one you use to harp on about.
Keeping in mind not everyone is up to the skill level you claim to have so would be paying someone else

"As I said, the Raum would have to be about $1500 and be in good shape to measure up to what else is available out there"
Yes, so you stated your opinion, not everyone will agree with you.

ema1, Sep 29, 9:16pm
Use your imagination tg. excellent or damn brilliant. depends on the car to a big extent, that could be dog or shite as well.
In my case dunno . never had one that cost $10K. end of.

slarty45, Sep 29, 9:34pm
if the FOS euro spammer had a beard
his chin would be like a sheeps bum if not dagged regularly

thejazzpianoma, Sep 29, 10:41pm
If you don't understand that different cars have different service costs and requirements, it's no wonder you get so frustrated at my comments.

Might pay to learn the basics before commenting next time.

ema1, Sep 30, 12:00am
Could be a renegade like Shrek the sheep and be wool blind as well.

ema1, Sep 30, 12:10am
The basics are. the O.P. was asking about a Toyota Raum. funny that?
Suggest learning that fact before spamming like a loony on threads like this one.
Wouldn't blame the O.P. abandoning this thread but now has answers to his/her question already, I was one of the folks that ACTUALLY answered the question , all O.P. needs to do is disregard the Euro crap spouted yet again by the Toyota hating Euro fan boy. sheeeeeez stuck record territory and damn boring at that !

bumfacingdown, Sep 30, 11:05am
" it's no wonder you get so frustrated at my comments."
Don't over estimate yourself, your comments are more humour than frustration.
I shall comment when I like, not when you say, go back thru all your posts and a copmmon them use to be "Don't for get to allow for a total service which you should be able to get done for 1500 to 2000, now if you can't handle a bit of a piss take maybe its you who should "learn the basics before commenting next time"

bumfacingdown, Sep 30, 11:06am
BAD BAD BAD mental pic, thanks for that, now stabbing minds eye trying to get rid of said pic

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 11:27am
And which car is that comment attached to?
Why can you not just use your brains and consider the costs for the car yourself?
No automatic transmission. there is $500 gone for a start. It may not be due a timing belt, which is only about half the cost to do on one of these as some other cars. Where is the money going to go?

It's pretty stupid trying to quote myself against myself for a price I likely gave for an Audi or VW with a DSG transmission and more work to get to the timing belt plus more expensive parts.

Use your brains, this is not difficult stuff. Failing that, just stop nit picking, your posts are doing nothing but wasting peoples time. Not to mention you three and your childish personal attacks, what's that supposed to achieve?

Why not put the effort into learning to understand a bit about modern vehicles rather than wasting it harassing someone because you don't understand what they are saying?

You could learn to use a scan tool for starters, ema1 could do to learn about vehicles made in the last 30 years and slarty. well there may be no helping slarty.

If you didn't behave like spoilt 8 year olds I would even help you.

bumfacingdown, Sep 30, 11:33am
You Sir, need to A)Loosen up and B)Stick to the topic on hand (clue, in this case it had nothing to do with Euro cars)

"Where is the money going to go?"
Paying someone else to do it and purchasing locally

Now "Use your brains," and have a laugh now and then, plenty of people do with what you post, try it, you may

"Why not put the effort into learning to understand a bit about modern vehicles rather than wasting it harassing someone because you don't understand what they are saying"
Everything I have learned has been from you, if I am lacking in knowledge its your teaching that are at fault

"just stop nit picking, your posts are doing nothing but wasting peoples time."
SNAP

How about you put your mechanical skills into answering the original questions (which are not Euro related)
"The car looks tidy, but are the auto gearbox in the Raums OK?
No problems I should look for? "

vtecintegra, Sep 30, 11:35am
Something about a pot and a kettle.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 30, 11:46am
Last post from me because this is stupid.
The title says "Toyota Raum auto's any good?"
I have pointed out that they are not much of a car and most are poor value. That answers the questions. I have even gone on to show them with examples comparative value to other vehicles they could have in the price range, even manual ones as is their preference.

You and your lot have done NOTHING to be of assistance and worse still confused matters and made nasty personal attacks.

Luckily outside your back slapping little ring of idiots people can judge you by what you contribute. or dont.

bumfacingdown, Sep 30, 11:51am
So your knowledge does not extend to having the ability to answer the straight questions
"The car looks tidy, but are the auto gearbox in the Raums OK?
No problems I should look for"
Apart from a general "Oh, they are no good but this VAG will be better and cheaper"
"You and your lot have done"
What lot is that?
Hey, you introduced a topic outside of the OPs request, you started it
"Luckily outside your back slapping little ring of idiots people can judge you by what you contribute. or dont."
What you on about Willis? What "back slapping little ring of idiots", name and shame or shut your trap.
Told you that you were entertaining, now I am not so sure of the knowledgeable part, slips well into second place unless it VAG related perhaps.
"Luckily outside your back slapping little ring of idiots people can judge you by what you contribute. or dont."
SNAP again
So take your bat and ball and go sulk over in the corner while rocking back and forth

slarty45, Sep 30, 11:57am
How many years did you own YOUR Toyota Raum & how many thou K`s did you clock up?

westwyn, Sep 30, 12:04pm
Meanwhile. just in case the OP hasn't already abandoned the sandpit.

-The first generation Raum is a very good little car, from an era of Toyota over-engineering and relatively simple drivetrains. The autos are generally good- as long as it drives OK, chances are it will continue to do so for the duration of your ownership. They're pleasant enough to drive (bland, boring but comfortable), parts are off-the-shelf cheap IF you need anything, and like any compact Toyota of this era, resale is easy. Price-wise, with the low km stated, my professional opinion is that $2000-$2500 would be a fair buy, any less and you're looking at a bargain, at least in Auckland or a large metropolitan centre. Only thing to check is if the cambelt has been replaced (these used a belt engine, not a chain) and if it hasn't, you have two choices- factor is the cost to replace (they're inexpensive to do) OR, and more likely given your stated projected ownership time, just take the chance and drive it anyway, it is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) you'll have an issue for the two or three months. The risk factor is pretty low on these, just sell it on once you've finished with it and the next buyer can decide whether to invest in a new belt and associated kit, or not. I hope this helps, if you're still following all this!

vtecintegra, Sep 30, 12:25pm
Again, pots and kettles.