2AZ-FE oil burning

Page 1 / 2
cute_char, Jul 31, 1:52pm
opps sorry to bring up old post but are these cars common for any problems? been thinking about buying one but not sure now especially if they burn oil at low km. though I am wanting the one with the v6 maybe these ones don't have any. and can you get these in a non cvt version?

sw20, Jul 31, 3:31pm
The 2.4 litre Blades are all CVT. The 3.5 V6 is the six speed automatic.

I have the Blade Master G with the 3.5 V6. Great car. The engine is one of Toyotas very best. Practical car, rear seats folded down I've carted around all sorts of furniture, even managed to put my 60" Samsung TV in it's box in the back and shut the hatch. Passing cars on the open road is accomplished in seconds. It laughs at any hill.

The only downside is the fuel consumption, but you are getting a ~280hp car, and IMO it's actually pretty good. I'm averaging 11.8 litres/100km. On a highway trip it uses 8 litres/100km.

I've had mine for over two years and 35,000kms, just clicked over 100km the other week. Zero problems.

franc123, Jul 31, 3:51pm
The 3.5 V6 is the one to get, I wouldnt bother with the 2.4 if it was an oil burner or not.

bigfatmat1, Jul 31, 4:20pm
2.4 is a oil burner was fixed under warranty In America but not here. Will be the rings like every other one that burns oil

cute_char, Jul 31, 5:08pm
2.4 wouldn't suit me not enough hp that is why I only wanted the v6 in a non cvt tranny.

frank1, Jul 31, 5:59pm
Oil burner?--that in my opinion is a broad statement .
I own a 2002 Camry 2.4, 200.000kms,and a 2007 Rav4,85.000kms which I imported early last year,(the Rav I mean) and never have to top up oil between changes on either vehicles.
Change oil at 8000.kms intervals

ambo11, Jul 31, 6:10pm
Got an 07 NZ new Previa at 240,000kms, same engine, does not use a drop of oil between changes. In fact the engine is still quiet, responsive and the van drives like new. I think this oil burning thing gets blown out of proportion considering how many are out there.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 31, 7:20pm
ARGH!

Yes, yes there is. It's an oil drain back issue that's the problem, thicker or mineral oil is only going to make the inadequate drain holes job more difficult!

It's my suspicion actually that a lack of oil changes and cheap or wrong grade oil is the straw that breaks the Camels back with this design fault, at least in some cases.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 31, 7:28pm
Take this with a grain of salt because I would have to do some research to confirm.
I think the reason you likely have no issue is yours is an Australian spec Previa and being 07 likely didn't have the upgraded version of that engine that featured in the Camry's, Corolla's, RAV 4 etc. I am pretty sure the oil burning issue is only on the high output version which started production around 2007 (production not sales date). I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian Previa never got the high output engine at all.

Do you have your owners manual?

If you do and you are curious, post the KW rating and Compression ration if listed.

BTW, it is a big deal and it peeves me off that when I mention such a thing I get the piss taken out of me relentlessly yet when someone turns up with the problem I am trying to help people avoid it's a different story.

If things were the other way around I would be hung drawn and quartered on here for down playing such an issue.

Not having a go at you Ambo but the likes of ema1, gunhand etc could use a kick up the bum sometimes.

intrade, Jul 31, 7:33pm
welcome in the real world where toyota are as shite of a car as anyone elses product dispite delutions of large ammounts of morons who dream that toyota is somhow superior and never brakes nor has any problems. Well step out of your delutions in to the world of Reality-
They cost a lot to service they fail and they have big issues just like any other car makes .

laurelanne, Jul 31, 7:43pm
x1
I once bought a Toyota that was an oil burner. I gave it regular oil changes and added Proma to the oil. After three oil changes the problem disappeared. That vehicle was sold at nearly 300,000km. The last I heard, it has done many more kms and is still going strong.

franc123, Jul 31, 8:44pm
It certainly seems that way. From what vehicles I've serviced with these engines fitted there has been very few gripes from owners about it, this includes people that have towed small caravans with their RAV4's and Estimas, None have wanted further investigation of the issue or requested deviation from catalogued oil specs to see if it made any difference. This is of course if they've experienced any measurable consumption at all.

toenail, Jul 31, 9:25pm
That's correct. The older engine had a different internal design and is very reliable. They made some dumb ass changes to the 07+ engines - mostly to try to improve fuel economy.

For everyone else who says their engine or the engines they have seen have no issues, do no understand that Toyota revised their 07+ engines.

bigfatmat1, Jul 31, 10:09pm
Blades and vanguards seem to be the worst.

gazzat22, Aug 1, 11:23am
My daughter bought an 08 2.4 Blade which initially used oil no smoke just spat it out.! when i did the first oil change the filter was an unnamed brand and size.My mate (a mechanic for 40+years said ) the dealers all use cheap oil and filters.We put a flush in which didnt make a lot of difference.Since then I,ve used ryco filters and Full synthetic 5-30 or 5 -40 oil and problem seems to have gone away after about 3 oil/filter changes so the answer seems to be use a good filter and oil and like my daughters should help solve the problem which is caused primarily by cheap filters and cheap oil.

gazzat22, Aug 1, 12:09pm
thejazzpianoma wrote:

ARGH!

Yes, yes there is. It's an oil drain back issue that's the problem, thicker or mineral oil is only going to make the inadequate drain holes job more difficult!

It's my suspicion actually that a lack of oil changes and cheap or wrong grade oil is the straw that breaks the Camels back with this design fault, at least in some cases.[/quoteI agree with you on this Jazz,Its not an oil burning problem. its a small design fault that is exacerbated by poor and irregular maintenance which is one thing most kiwis are good at. To say these engines "Burn" oil is rather simplistic and inaccurate.

rak1, Aug 1, 1:49pm
We have a 2010 Camry with the 2az-fe engine and it uses no oil between changes. Its got 150 thou on the clock, no issues so far but the motor has always "clacked" when cold until its hot.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 4:46pm
I would guestimate that the detergents in the oil and a quality oil of correct thickness unclogged the drain holes. Adding a bit of powerup to the oil (it has very high detergents) may speed up the process but if the motor is quite badly carboned you would want to be careful as too much muck released at once can block your pickup filter.

gazzat22, Aug 1, 7:49pm
Car was first reg in NZ Oct 2014 goes well and as i stated after 3-4 oil n filter changes uses no oil now.

rovercitroen, Aug 1, 10:16pm
That Pro-Ma MBL8 is a fantastic product. I know of many success stories with it. I'm not usually an additive fan but I make an exception for Pro-Ma products. Their diesel and petrol additives and their Car Wash and Wax are excellent too.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 10:33pm
The late year makes sense too, not too much time for it to get horribly clogged.

dbest, Oct 7, 10:55am
Hi all,

Need some advice for my Toyota Blade with 2AZ-FE engine with about 105k kms on it

It is burning oil at about 1 liter every 2500km. Given the mileage I don't think its rings, also no blue smoke. There is bit of black smoke when you rev high.

I know that north american 2AZ-FEs have a known design flaw due to bad piston design that causes this issue. The fix is new pistons and depending on the engine wear a new short block. Before I bought the car, I didn't find any mention of Blades or other region Toyota with this problem but my car is exhibiting exactly the same symptoms. My regular mechanic says he sees this with lot of blades some burning up to 2 liter every 3k kms.

Any advice ? I am not sure what to do. I am thinking of showing it Toyota to see if they know anything about this. For now I am just monitoring the oil and topping it up as needed. Some mates have recommended different oil types and I've run 10W30 full synthetic and now on 5W30 full synthetic. No change to the consumption.

pauldw, Oct 7, 11:24am
Was there a difference in the North American spec engine or just that Toyota in that region had to fend off a class action that didn't include owners from elsewhere?

gazzat22, Oct 7, 11:51am
I,ve been told ,Maybe true or not that the oil drain holes in the grooves in the pistons which drain the excess oil back down into the sump are too small and block particularly if a low grade oil is used or oil changes arent done at specified intervals.One suggestion was a good quality engine flush could help to clear the drain holes or an oil with a high detergent ratio similar to some diesel oils .I,ve seen cars run on that and when dismantled they have been remarkably clean and sludge free.I would make some enquiries.Good Luck although i,m sure one of the "experts" will shoot holes in my suggestions.

dbest, Oct 7, 12:00pm
I've heard of this. I did do an engine flush but that didn't seem to help. I also came across a thread the other day about how someone ran an engine flush, then went to 15W40 diesel for one interval then back to good synthetic and said it greatly reduced the oil consumption. Hmmm maybe I could give this a go ?