2AZ-FE oil burning

Page 2 / 2
dbest, Oct 7, 12:02pm
Not sure. could be either or. First time I have been disappointed by Toyota engine. I've primarily owned mostly Toyota and never had any issues. First time. I love the car and want to keep it.

m16d, Oct 7, 12:18pm
Not much point putting 5/30 synthetic in an old oil burner.

toenail, Oct 7, 3:16pm
Toyota certainly knows about this. It is a wide spread issue with the 2AZ-FE engine (including Camry's and RAV4's mostly between 2006-2011), hence Toyota Japan have issued a bulletin few years back to fix this for free (if you meet their consumption tests).

Why do you think the Japanese are dumping loads of these engines onto our market? They can't be bothered fighting Toyota, because even if it passes their consumption test, you'd still have to top up the oil between oil change intervals, and that will have long term consequences for your catalyst converter because it would have to work overtime.

Go talk to Toyota NZ, point out that Toyota Japan and Toyota USA have admitted the fault with the engine, and see if Toyota NZ will play ball (highly doubt it).

gsimpson, Oct 7, 4:10pm
putting the correct oil in can reduce oil consumption. Worked for me.

dbest, Oct 7, 4:46pm
I found the US articles about it, do you have any links to any Japanese articles mentioning this ?(not that I doubt you, would like to use it as reference)

Yea I am thinking about going to Toyota and although I know its import and not covered I still want them to know I am an unhappy camper about this.

fordcrzy, Oct 7, 6:58pm
Our 2azfe leaked oil like a British bike. They often leak down the front of the engine by the front pulley

toenail, Oct 7, 11:16pm
The service bulletin was not about oil leaking.

toenail, Oct 7, 11:20pm
in 2014, Toyota Japan issued the following service bulletin - use google translate. Enjoy:

https://toyota.jp/recall/kaisyu/141126.html

New Zealand Toyota's were impacted as well, since these engines were made in the same factories. Your chassis number will match the service bulletin.

dbest, Oct 8, 10:35am
Thank you for this.

fordcrzy, Dec 30, 2:03pm
They also had issues with stretching or incorrect torque on the head bolts