Anyone has experience with Singapore cars?

Page 1 / 2
billyfieldman, May 26, 3:38pm
I notice that cars imported from Singapore are cheaper. I've seen a few and they are in really good condition.

Is it really true that Singapore cars have electronics gremlins or is it just prejudice?

meow_mix, May 26, 3:50pm
Mum has a Singapore import 1999 Rover 75. She's had it since 2011 and it has been reliable, apart from an expensive auto trans failure. We haven't noticed any melted wiring or electrical problems. Maybe the car was garaged a lot in Singapore.

kerikeri13, May 26, 4:40pm
Hot and humid weather! . I saw many cars from Singapore on the wharf some years ago and the interiors looked like the invasion of the candy floss army. Internal sweating behind the panels may be a problem if the vehicle hasn't been garaged.

dublo, May 26, 4:41pm
Singapore is hot, humid and was choked with traffic even when I was there is 1971. M-B taxi driver didn't use the clutch when changing gear and wasn't alone in being a very poor driver. Cars seem to have had hard lives even then.
I wouldn't buy an ex-Singapore car.

gazzat22, May 26, 4:54pm
Some years ago a whole batch of ex Singapore BMW's were imported due to dealer going bust.They had been stored outside I was warned by a friend in the "know" to have them thoroughly checked as the had problems with .Cracked Dashboards and other interior parts.Brake calipers and discs etc.and cooling system parts.Could have been others too.I think some of them didnt have heaters but I,m not 100% sure on that.

gammelvind, May 26, 5:01pm
All of the comments are commenting with expressions “years ago” , I too have heard these comments having been around for a while and feelling like the 70’s was only 30 years ago.

To help the OP does anyone have any info that is no more than say 5 years or less ago?

gazzat22, May 26, 5:16pm
Would you buy one?

socram, May 26, 5:19pm
Sorry, it is another years ago anecdote, but a friend imported a Mercedes from Singapore. He'd only just got it and rather than travel with us, followed us up to Whangarei early one winter's morning. Even though I wasn't speeding, we had to keep waiting for him.

When we arrived, I asked him why he was so slow. He claimed the car had no heater and had to keep demisting the screen! (I find it hard to believe as I would have thought it would have had aircon but maybe he didn't understand it!)

gammelvind, May 26, 5:26pm
I would consider it, with appropriate checks. I wouldn’t necessarily dimiss any car because of it’s origin, we have crap drivers, poor servicing and dodgy odo’s here from NZ new vehicles, so much so that I would never buy a diesel vehicle here without a lot of checking including scanning it to determine that it hasn’t been fiddled with. Humidity could definitely be an issue but I wonder if that is a bit of a red herring from the “years ago” comments and not so much a problem in modern cars. Happy to be corrected by those who actually have current information.

manolo, May 26, 5:43pm
5 years ago I was looking at buying a BMW 330 and contacted BM workshop . They foreman said that the Singapore import ones are to be avoided because the heat and humidity destroys the wiring looms so something to be mindful of

lespat, May 26, 6:07pm
I bought a 2001 Benz C240 12 years ago and still have it. Only problems I have had is failed ECU which kept draining the battery. Got replacement from the USA at a third of NZ price. And about 3 years ago the nick nack pocket in the dash crazed and split. Made from a rubbery compound instead of usual plastic. Singapore imports usually have documented dealer service records. I believe some BMWs of similar vintage had wiring loom problems.

sw20, May 26, 6:35pm
Another troll thread by the OP.

gammelvind, May 26, 6:43pm
Probably the same wiring issues that Mercedes had from 95 through early 2000’s, likely nothing to do with Singapore as the NZ new ones had similar problems.

budgel, May 26, 7:26pm
I would buy one at the lower end of the price spectrum, but the price would have to seriously reflect the fact that it may be difficult to move when the time comes to sell.

ladatrouble, May 27, 10:25am
Yes, but I think it appeared first with the Singapore cars, the first one I saw was from Singapore anyway. I used to look after a HiCom Perkasa, a Malasian Isuzu, no heater but aircon, the drivers were not happy in winter. It was imported new, so no problems.

elect70, May 27, 2:08pm
Well i got a 2000 320 merc ex singapore & other than edge of head lining comming unstuck no problems at 235 0000 Kms . But the "singapore "rep means they are cheap to buy . The engineering on them is far superior to any other car ive had . I notice they use o rings & rubber U gaskets instead of geasepaper or cork .100% fluid tight .

kazbanz, May 27, 4:54pm
Billy-Electrics might be better now but the affect of being in a high humidity environment is all over the car not just the electrics.

mcfc11, May 27, 8:02pm
I have a 2008 Bentley GT ex Singapore had it for 5 years not one problem.

skull, May 27, 8:16pm
So long as he's getting bites it won't stop.

carstauranga001, May 27, 8:24pm
Sure, you might be lucky. It would be wrong to say every Singapore used import will be trouble. But if you want my thoughts after 37 years in the trade, eating, sleeping and breathing cars 24/7, selling thousands of vehicles and soaking up all the info from many industry publications?
I won't touch one with a barge poll!

tgray, May 27, 9:38pm
Funny how we have no problem buying Japanese cars. I have been to Japan and the humidity is brutal.

franc123, May 27, 9:43pm
Re rubber seals and gaskets, Honda were doing that in the 1970's.

mcfc11, May 27, 10:47pm
I could not agree more.

phillip.weston, May 28, 5:00am
I've had two Singapore imports - both Volvos. The first one had a drooping head liner but I don't think that was unique to cars from Singapore. Everything else on it was fine. The second one, had gone from Singapore, to NZ, to QLD Australia where it was brought in as a personal import. It was in great condition inside and out. Both were T5 5-cyl models, the first being the 2.3 the rest of the world got. The second was a 2.0 which only some markets such as Singapore or Italy got, in order to get around taxation laws.

strobo, May 28, 6:13am
Said in a nut shell. And agree.