Anyone has experience with Singapore cars?

Page 2 / 2
budgel, May 28, 8:54am
This gets my vote!

bashfulbro, May 28, 9:36am
Not 100% sure on this, but it came from an importer , i asked him that same question,and speaking from his experience,he said he
had previously imported a few from Singapore, and came unstuck several times, with faults,and said the the rules on the vehicle checks from Singapore are nowhere near as stringent as from Japan.In his opinion, never touch one.

oldboyjohn, May 28, 9:45am
Have you ever seen Monty Pythons Holy Grail?
There is a famous part in it where all the knights shout "Run Away, Run Away"!
Do that.

dymo27, May 28, 2:34pm
I bought a ML55 that was ex-Singapore. Owned it for about a month when I thought the ODO was a bit off. So, did a distance trial and it really was off. Turned out the Speedo was in KMs and the ODO in miles. Not even the MB people in Auckland could figure out that one out. After much jumping up and down I got my money back from the dealer. I noticed he sold it pretty quick though.

kazbanz, May 28, 3:04pm
SOME of the year it is--Singers its brutal MOST of the year.

emd-253, May 28, 5:21pm
Avoid! Avoid! like the plague!

gpg58, May 28, 5:34pm
My 03 alfa 156 is is mint condition, re paint, body, engine, interior and chassis, no rust anywhere at all.
The same however, can not be said about the silly speed gearbox, but that is not down to being a 4 year old (then)Singapore import, it is down to being a selespeed alfa.

a.woodrow, May 28, 7:00pm
About 10 years ago we had a customer that imported himself in a BMW from singapore, exact same issue had A/C but no heater!

elect70, May 29, 3:35pm
^ ^^ some used toyotas were imported to nz by dealers that were for tropical market - no heater just A/C Poor owners only discovered it when they went to use it in winter & no comeback on the dealer . Once upon a time car s sold had to have jack /wheelbrace & spare wheel but often those were missing too . Buyer beware

saki, May 30, 1:24pm
My MK2 Cortina was assembled in Singapore compared to UK assembly its far superior, I have also spent a about 4 years in Singapore and the heat and humidity is nothing like NT in Aus, thats brutal.

comsolve, May 30, 4:09pm
LOL. That's because it's a euro car, not because it's from Singapore.

I have water blasted the engine bay of my last 2 cars (both Nissans) and started the engine up straight away afterwards. all with no issues.

rovercitroen, May 30, 4:20pm
Lexus's from Singapore don't seem to suffer from the electronic and wiring problems that the Euro cars from Singapore do. Maybe Lexus build quality is/was better in the first place?

gammelvind, May 30, 5:01pm
EU regs had manufactures in Europe looking for ways to make cars more green and recyclable, the wiring was one area in the many adopted. Sadly this resulted in some methods being a little too successful and the biodegraded while still in use. Nothing to do with build quality, but it did result in the appearance of poor quality.

billyfieldman, Aug 9, 8:47am
Another reason to beware of Singapore imports. Is this something that the people doing compliance are able to detect in New Zealand?

A car with 200,000km wound back to 75,000km !
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/customer-sues-over-tampered-mileage

How about Japan? Are there laws in Japan that deter odometer tampering or do Japanese imports also have the same problem?

kazbanz, Aug 9, 8:53am
Billy--To say that NO cars from Japan (or any other country for that matter) cross our borders with tampered Odo's would be like saying that no one smokes in airplane loo's anymore. There are robust systems in place in Japan to prevent it but it could happen.

billyfieldman, Aug 9, 1:06pm
Good to know Japan has a prevention system.

hkjoe, Aug 9, 6:39pm
Can you explain the background to your comment please, SW20?

hkjoe, Aug 9, 6:39pm
Can you explain the background to your comment please, Skull?

aredwood, Aug 9, 8:40pm
It is common for people to glue the air intake flaps, so the aircon will only work in recirc mode. As a way for improving the aircon performance.

On long drives, you just need to open the windows a little bit for fresh air. Although in cooler weather, you still have to use the aircon to demist the windows, as fan only won't do anything. And if there is no heater.

len_f, Oct 26, 12:59am
Hi it,s your choice of course but be mindfull the climate in Singapore is very hot and humid ,this can make the plastic insulation around the wiring looms become brittle and cracked letting dirt,dust,and water onto the wiring not the best thing for the electrical system.