Favorite Holden Commies

phalanax, Aug 18, 6:34am
Theres the HDT VL this person favors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/customs-classics/105926032/me-and-my-car-paying-tribute-to-peter-brock-with-this-1986-hdt-commodore But theres always another variant lurking in the shadows https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/buyers-guide/1607/holden-vl-commodore-turbo-buyers-guide
What model Holden commie is your favorite. ?
Mines the VX LS1.
I think id rather have the turbo VL over the HDT. lol

sandypheet, Aug 18, 7:10am
Only ever owned one Holden which was a VL, 3 litre 5 speed. Owned for 8 1/2 years.Was a good car with usual probs with rust and gearbox bearings.We did space ship miles in it and was still going good when we sold it.Was sadly written off shortly after being sold.Pic on my profile.

ashdyson, Aug 18, 7:42am
VX VU VE V8’s

friendly_prawn, Aug 18, 8:25am
Have owned several over the years. 81 SLE 308 was nice. My fav though was my 86 V8 Calais, with a 362 ci stroker in it. That was fun. Would love another if I had a huge garage with the room to park it.

electromic, Aug 18, 12:49pm
I have liked the Vl since they were new and I went for a ride around the naki coast in a brand new calais.

franc123, Aug 18, 1:31pm
The VL certainly represents a special place in Holdens history, even though its for the reason that it was the only time they ever offered a six cylinder engine and matching trans that was better than what Ford was selling at the same time (The standard RB30 still lacked the 4.1's torque though!). Neither the Buick/Ecotec or Alloytec options later achieved that. The VL was the first fuel injected car most Aussie buyers had ever owned unless you bought one of the more upmarket VK's which had it optioned, and thankfully in NZ also finally drop kicked the 1900 Starfire into the scrap bin where it belonged three years after it was ditched over there.

serf407, Aug 18, 1:42pm
Steve Rileys' " Holden Ute", he also did a 4wd car version before the aussie safari went into limbo the first time, that ended up as a speedway/ dirt tracker in south australia.
https://youtu.be/VtS7Dv9qSPk (offroad 've ute')

comsolve, Aug 18, 4:06pm
Drop kicked the Ozzy rubbish.

monaro17, Aug 18, 4:27pm
. just so you know. Those in glass houses and all that. You might want to do a little research on the Tiidas before you buy. since the turn of the century Nissan has been on a very steady decline in the quality of their vehicles. With the odd exception of course. But their bread and butter type of cars and nameplates generally were veeery sub par.

richardmayes, Aug 18, 5:38pm
I enjoyed the VZ acclaim station wagon I hired for a weekend (to transport a donor back end for a Triumph!)

It was a very stylish metallic olive green colour at a time when everything was silver or grey, or maroon for those who wanted to really live dangerously! The harsh bumpy VZ back axle didn't seem quite so harsh with the stationwagon's heavy body on top of it, and it just rode and handled a lot better than I expected from such a big heavy truck. We have an AU falcon wagon ourselves now and to be honest I don't think I would ever bother with a sedan falcodore. The wagon's ability to take huge loads of shopping, luggage, timber, the dog, and still drive nicely and quickly on the open road is one of the main features that appeal about this type of car IMHO. If I wanted a 4-door 4-seater something a couple of sizes smaller like a Euro Accord or a Mondeo that is easier to place on the road and has more responsive handling would be more my cup of tea than a big 6 cylinder car.

berg, Aug 18, 6:17pm
Loved my VZ ute but, if I could get a Minter for 1990s money, VH SS "Benson and Hedges" series or a VK "Blue Meanie"

snoopy221, Aug 18, 6:22pm
Drove commies for a few years while with GM
And yip I M O the old VH was the better handler-
Especially the aussie assembled V H V8 wagon

oversize, Aug 18, 7:12pm
of the ones i have had I so far I like the VX the most
but I have had a VH, 3VS and the VX and I have liked them all.

tshop, Aug 18, 7:30pm
The ole eco-tech was my company lease in WA, Id get a new replacement every 6 months or so, great truck they abit slow.

gpg58, Aug 18, 7:57pm
Adventra sx6 was most boring thing i owned(just as bad as my nissan stagea, beached whales) so no favourite commies here.

franc123, Aug 18, 8:59pm
The non FE2 suspension was certainly too soft in VK and L, the VB and C had it right IMO.

snoopy221, Oct 23, 1:57am
Pretty much driven most of the walkys and the brocks and the rest [Dang we gotta include the 4 cyl in that list BUGGA]

But if ya have ever driven one of the 253 aussie assembled VH station wagons they damn near out handle them all straight outa the box.
And yeah re

The non FE2 suspension was certainly too soft in VK and L, the VB and C had it right IMO.