Insurance on Passat

yz490, Jul 31, 11:44pm
Bought a tidy Passat 12 months ago [where did 'that' year go], be lucky to have done 3000k's in it & just paid the insurance again $500 with state--jeez that hurt when wife said sign this cheque. Great car for long travels but we rarely 'long travel' & no towbar so bit of a waste. Just drive an old dunga localy as liable to get a door opened into you parked in town.

ross1970, Jul 31, 11:53pm
What's a cheque?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 10:56am
Try AMI, they are the most reasonable usually and also most likely to actually pay out in my experience.

Also, consider the cost of the second vehicle if it's otherwise not required except to preserve the Passat. It's cost may well pay for periodic paintless dent removal and leave you a chunk of cash over. In my opinion, the Passat should be enjoyed, it's a depreciating asset after all.

sw20, Aug 1, 11:05am
State = AMI.

Both are owned by the cancer that is IAG.

gazzat22, Aug 1, 11:11am
A few Insurance companies give on line quotes which might be worth looking at .

nice_lady, Aug 1, 12:15pm
You paid a full years insurance in advance ?

kazbanz, Aug 1, 3:09pm
$500 for full comp--sounds pretty darn good to me.

tamarillo, Aug 1, 3:45pm
What's the question?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 1, 4:42pm
Policy's, pricing etc is different though, at least last time I checked. Especially when it comes to classic car insurance which State didn't do at all when I asked last time.

yz490, Aug 1, 11:19pm
Good question 'that', & had to mail it to them as no state office in Palmy. Mail--y-know, those slot thing ya put letters in, well hope it was still a live slot lol.

yz490, Aug 1, 11:29pm
Good comments thanks [now i've posted the cheque] i'd better go use it some more.

yz490, Aug 1, 11:35pm
Thought you had to pay in advance, before the accident not after?--Oh, ok, you meant just pay 3 months at a time maybe, never thought of that.

yz490, Aug 1, 11:48pm
Never had any trouble claiming with State but then again made minimal claims in--ummm about 55 years, house/contents/vehicles. Was funny a year ago, when having a practice shot on States Site i got a bit cocked up & stopped & re-started then rang them. Guy said yes i can see where you're up to [online] even though i'd not completed. As wife says--you're not safe to be let out somedays.

yz490, Aug 2, 12:03am
If i had a question it might be is $500 expensive for a car State value at 9 grand, although i paid about half of that]. By reducing the value to about half the policy fee saving was minimal.

sw20, Aug 2, 7:29am
Exactly the same at payout or repair time. You deal with IAG not the sub brand.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 9:28am
Mate--the number you quote for full insurance is about $100-$200 per year less than My customers seem to pay so I feel $500/year is pretty darn good.

rayonline_tm, Aug 2, 10:44am
FWIW our cars are 1998 Toyota and 2004 VW, re: insurance we are also with AMI, they both are around that ballpark figure.

The AMI website allows you get o get a online quote. If we value our cars as low as $2k it's not much different.

yz490, Aug 2, 11:12am
Yep, wasn't realy complaining just curious & good to compare. Think i paid the first one online so doesn't hurt the same pushing buttons lol, but my wife still likes to pay by cheque [sign here hurts more--yeah stupid i know.] Miss the days when we could go into States office in town. One of the flashest big buildings in town but then went smaller, then went to not much more than a hole in the wall, then disappeared--'to online' suppose that's life as we know it Jim! . [Palmy Nth that is]. No complaints with any claim we've made over the years, but 'do' now recall at work [yamaha bike shop] doing State repairs the State Assessor was by far the most difficult to deal with. Replace rather than repair [looking after customer] but state was repair & re-chrome or re-paint whatever, which often ended up a drama between customer--us--& state. Lot more write offs in later years. Not a State fault but just a tough assessor--which i suppose he's paid for to be fair.

beno, Aug 2, 2:02pm

supernova2, Nov 6, 1:59am
YeGods IAG rates worse than YOUI !