Advise on 2017 Subaru XV

db.price, Sep 8, 6:16pm
GRRR - that should be advice!

Have a friend who is looking at the 2017 Subaru XV. Likes the CX5 but that is too expensive for him - likewise the Outback or similar SUV.

Has no kids etc, like to do some offroad and wants to come camping with us - pretty rough roads where we go.

Don't know a lot about them as we didn't take one out.

Anyone got any experience with them? Latest ones have eye-sight etc which I loved in the Outback.

Taking one out tomorrow with him to see what it is like.

woody1946, Sep 8, 6:33pm
Suzuki Vitara Turbo

bazfan, Sep 8, 7:59pm
Its a bit small for trips is what I personally found . Boot is cramped even if its just two people going on a road trip unless you want to fold down the back seats.

I do wonder what the long term reliability of eye-sight will be. Reading some Subaru forums in the US where eye-sight has resulted in the car going into limp mode/loss of power

ming24, Sep 8, 8:02pm
How rough are the roads?

db.price, Sep 9, 7:40am
Can be pretty rutted and a couple of small ford's to get through. Sometimes a number of bigger rocks on it so that is why the ground clearence is important.

db.price, Sep 9, 7:42am
Interesting Re eye-sight. I loved it in the outback.

The size thing was what I said too but just 2 of them and laying down back seats to get stuff in not an issue. There ua always a trailer too.

db.price, Sep 9, 7:44am
Wants economy as well. But for that price you could just about buy the Limited model and it would be new not 13 years old!

tamarillo, Sep 9, 8:00am
A jacked up Impreza off roading, with cvt. Doesn't sound good to me.

db.price, Sep 9, 8:19am
Does have xmode on the new one. Guess take it for a spin and see. The cvt on the Outback was pretty good though the 6 speed Skyactive on the Mazda, while 1 less gear, was better.

And off riding as in rough gravel not hill climbs

serf407, Sep 9, 8:56am
Rather have the previous model with manual transmission.
https://www.motoring.com.au/subaru-xv-2017-review-106850/

slarty45, Sep 9, 9:07am
Eww yuk
Considerable Vomit Tranny

db.price, Sep 9, 4:30pm
How long did it take to come up with that?

db.price, Sep 9, 4:37pm
Took it out. Was OK. Nice interior. Small boot though but bigger than the cx3 he was looking at. CVT was OK but the engine seemed underpowered because of it - really needs a turbo I think.

Handled well - but it is a Subaru so no suprises there. Not bad for sub $40k for top of the line model. Did ,ike the multiple displays especially the info display in the centre top console for sll the car monitoring things like fuel economy, drive on the wheels etc.

I don't think I would buy one due to the space side but looks like he is keen. Love the orange colour too - but I love orange as a colour!

slarty45, Sep 9, 6:02pm
a few seconds
Current Swift Sport has a Chundering variable tranny
New 1.4 turbo model launched at Frankfurt Auto Show in a few days will have a real 6 stage automatic or 6 speed manual. Good to see them listening to the customers.

ming24, Sep 9, 11:16pm
Is the Forester too far to stretch financially?

db.price, Sep 10, 7:44am
Could be a little but. The sport is 45k and $40 would be max I think.

Also pointed him to the Sportage as well.

ming24, Sep 10, 1:39pm
If you are after a car that can take on rough roads, I wouldn't recommend the Sportage. The Sportage is a great car at a great price point, but I only see them as a commuter car. I don't think they have any off road credentials.

The XV will be capable for what you are after, but if space becomes an issue (which I don't think it will, with only 2 people) then you mate can look at getting a roof box

db.price, Sep 29, 3:44am
That is a good point re the Sportage. The XV does have the Xmode which I pointed out. Plus ground clearance as high as the Forrester.

I suspect the XV will be what he goes with.