BMW 540 - Any obvious problems to look out for

diddi1, Sep 7, 10:33am
Looking to purchase a 5 series V8 probably '05 to '10 with under 100ks. Any known issues that I should be aware of. TIA

_frodo_, Sep 7, 10:41am
Check the cooling system thoroughly - plastic parts become brittle and break.

mopeds, Sep 7, 10:43am
The earliest e65 v8's used an aluminium block with a hard chrome bore which became the source of many warranty claims, beware of buying a low milegage example that may not have any obvious issues, later models went back to a cast iron liner.

flack88, Sep 7, 11:18am
The m62 4.4 litre camchain flys to bits regularly,it looks like a bike chain from the Wharehouse.!

gedo1, Sep 7, 1:23pm
Check if it has ever been parked up at the sky park at Auckland Airport

mastertechno, Sep 7, 6:25pm
Water Pump, Cooling system as mentioned by frodo , Brake discs, Brake lines, Shock absorbers, Steering Geometery , Fuel Lines. Get "Autosure" for sure.

trogedon, Sep 7, 6:29pm
Gas guzzling luxo barge. avoid.

bigfatmat1, Sep 7, 6:34pm
Oil leaks

ceedoubleyou, Sep 7, 6:36pm
bushes in the rear suspension are a big problem, when they need replacing, they fail WOF checks

rbd, Sep 7, 7:52pm
Expensive electronic modules failing with no warning (experience). If a wagon the wires into the boot break in hard to access locations.Check for water leaks into the boot at the sides where the fuse box is. Check for water damage in the electrical components under the spare wheel at the lowest part of the car (German logic that location).

BMW engines (and ZF gearboxes) leak like sieves. Sump gasket costly to replace.

tamarillo, Sep 7, 8:29pm
Don't, under any circumstance get one of these GTs. So ugly I can't look.
Sedan or wagon both brilliant. Enjoy.

bigfatmat1, Sep 7, 9:23pm
Oil leaks in eccentric shaft sensors can easily climb into the thousands of dollars and cause misfires.

diddi1, Sep 8, 9:05am
Wow, that's just about successfully scared me off. I might have to think about a similar Mercedes Benz. I will start a new thread for that. Failing that an XR8 is starting to sound quite appealing. Thanks guys

saxman99, Sep 8, 9:51am
Gas guzzling luxo barge. Brilliant, get one!

sw20, Sep 8, 1:07pm
May as well make hay while the sun shines trog.

These V8s aren't going to be around forever with the push for smaller turbocharged engines, hybrids and EVs.

elect70, Sep 8, 1:17pm
As i found to my great expense BMW stands for big money waster , avoid .

trogedon, Sep 8, 7:13pm
Dang, I forgot those last three words! Big slugs like that - driving one would be like making love to a 20 stone woman - it could be done - but why bother when there are slender women with some finesse to horizontal folk dance with.

slarty45, Sep 8, 7:16pm
break my wallet. at the stealership

hkjoe, Sep 8, 7:41pm
Agreed, but not as ugly as an X6 in my opinion. The first time I saw one, I thought of a cockroach taking a dump.

saxman99, Sep 29, 8:16pm
Lol! Good on ya mate.