Koenigsegg’s 2.0-Liter No-Camshaft Engine

Page 1 / 3
mrfxit, Jan 4, 8:50am

mechnificent, Jan 4, 8:58am
Nothing new under the sun. There's been camless I.C. engines before.

mrfxit, Jan 5, 7:10am
But thats just like saying 3 wheeled cars have been done before
The power output on this is pretty crazy, never mind being a 3cyl.
Reliability should be good if it makes it to mass production

mechnificent, Jan 5, 8:20am
No it's not. There are several ways of doing away with cams. That system has been done before.
That they've used that system in a street car is new. But materials get better, things that weren't practical become so.

differentthings, Jan 5, 10:32am
wow that's some power from a small motor. BTW F1 has been using pneumatic valves since the mid 80's (approx). They did however still used a camshaft. By the looks of things camless motors were developed about 2009 but were never used for F1 racing

intrade, Jan 5, 10:46am
fiat alfa if i recall right have a production engine with a similar system.
And there is some engine of a SAAB with no valves no cam The problems are sealing the combustion chamber reliable without valves.
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/fiats-multiair-replaces-intake-camshaft/41753/ look at dates https://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-ride-in-a-car-with-the-camless-engine-1529865968

mechnificent, Jan 5, 10:49am
And getting a high compression and good flow.

elect70, Jan 5, 10:03pm
Doesnt say what its fuel consumption is tho . If ecomonical & found its way into production cars it could slow the uptake of EVs but govt wont like that

ronaldo8, Jan 5, 10:37pm
DIY version, he started with a lawn mower motor, now he's onto a Miata (MX5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_MrPylnsDg&t=19s

ronaldo8, Jan 5, 10:58pm

meow_mix, Jan 6, 3:57pm
Camless valve actuation has been on the cards for a while now, the attraction being to offer infinitely variable valve timing, but long term reliability has been an issue, and the fact that there is nothing wrong with a decent DOHC setup.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 5:32pm
Some ships use camless. They are reliable. Powerful too. haha

mechnificent, Jan 6, 5:33pm
We had sleeve valve engines a hundred years ago too.

ronaldo8, Jan 6, 6:03pm
Way to completely miss the point.

The point is not that the thing is camless, that's completely irrelevant. That's just the means to the ends. The point is that because the valves don't have a fixed actuator,, like a cam, every aspect of the valve timing is completely dynamically adjustable throughout the rev range and for every load/flow condition. It's an adaptive machine, not a hard fixed one, that is the point.

Do they call their system camless? no they don't, they call it freevalve, big f'ing clue.

Christ on a bike. thick.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:12pm
Lol. Ronaldo. I understand just fine what's being said.

Ship motors are electrically actuated and they can alter their timing too if they want to.

You are such a bad tempered little fellow.

ronaldo8, Jan 6, 6:23pm
Yes of course you do, which is why you've been rabbiting on about earlier camless designs from the get-go and bought up sleeve valve engines, as if they had any relevance at all.

Sure thing bushy.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:37pm
Lol. Tell me about bushes. and how many you've scraped.

ronaldo8, Jan 6, 6:55pm
None, unlike your hilarious spouting on the topic.

Let me tell you why

1/ a bush is a short shrubby plant, even a complete shrub could tell you that bushings are not bushes.

2/ No one scrapes bushings, you may bore one, you might hone one, you might even polish one but you can't scrape one, its cylindrical, but then maybe you think your die grinder is a biax? I wouldn't be surprised. cowboy.

The truth is though I imagine you scrape your bush far too frequently, several times a day I'd think, you should leave it alone. But then what would I know, according to you I am just he that does not know what yourself, the self-appointed guru Rum Raisin does know, high priest of the inane waffle and claimant to telekinetic stick powers. Tell me, do those powers of levitation of yours extend to engines or do you still just use a hoist like the rest of us mere mortals?

apollo11, Jan 6, 7:00pm
Wut?

mechnificent, Jan 6, 7:03pm
Now that is waffle !

Bad tempered waffle.

And yes we could scrape bushes if we choose to. If it would improve things. But in the case of a lathe. it wouldn't.

You are, as oh so often, spouting off from a point of ignorance. in anger. and it's all because you don't want to acknowledge to yourself that you have issues Ronaldo. It's sad and pathetic.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 7:07pm
Quite the Freudian slip/obsession Ronaldo. As I say. You should get over it.

ronaldo8, Jan 6, 7:15pm
You missed that load? O it was a corker, a beauty, a bonny and a joy forever. Allow me.

Rum raisin here has the ability to levitate inanimate objects with his spiritually enabled mind apparently, he has proof, he was asked for the proof at the time of course and he delivered. What was the proof you ask? Well, he said so.

The slick stick trick (as I came to call it) was performed at a party one evening so the story went, shortly after reaching enlightenment, a tin of thinners may or may not have been involved. By pure force of the untapped mental power that lies dormant within all of us, you know, like in the superman comics and all the best B grade bullshit, a stick was prevented from falling to the floor and so his divinity was manifest upon the gob smacked gathered masses.

You may wonder why the majestic magnificent one so often strains my bullshit detector, well wonder no more. That is just one of the tales from that particular crypt of complete and utter bollocks, there are many more.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 7:20pm
Lol. So it comes out at last.

I knew there had to be something.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 7:21pm
Do you feel better now Ronaldo ?

apollo11, Jan 6, 7:30pm
I've missed out on so much. I was a late comer to the forums and never got to see them in their ancient splendiferousness.