RAV4 burning oil

Page 2 / 3
intrade, Mar 3, 11:27am
now to what to do . do not use engine flush additives what ever you do do not! .
If it is not ultra extreeme clogged.
YOU CHANGE OIL AND FILTER with correct oil for the petrol engine and when it uses oil you add some diesel extra valvoline oil to it but only one time then top up with correct mineral oil for the petrol engine and change oil and filter at 5000km or 3 month what ever come sooner.
over time you increase the amount of diesel extra oil as top up. with any luck this will free the rings and clean the engine.
YOU CANT CLEAN it to fast or you have avalanche of sludge getting sucked up by oil pickup= DEATH OF ENGINE is guaranteed soon after.
but you do need to know how bad it is first as its a risk to clean neglect like this and why i tell clients like this i cant be made responsible for what could happen if you start cleaning.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 11:45am
Hey team--Here's my thinking.
lets say for a moment I'm right.--It actually IS the 1800cc chain drive Corolla engine. 1ZZ-FE rather than the old 3S-FE
All the symptoms described could very easily then be a case of the wrong oil being used. if 30/40 oil or even 20/40 is used then the whole VVTi system will be getting glugged up.
In that case some sort of flushing agent that will remove the thick oil from the VVTI system . filling with good 5 w 40 oil might well solve the problem. If I'm wrong and it is the old 3sfe then I agree with franc

jojo76, Mar 3, 11:52am
Thanks intrade. Im pretty sure he has been using 10/40 oil (thats what repco told us to use) . We will do as suggested, and if it completely bugger the enigne so be it.
Dont think he would get much more selling as is now, than selling it when it dies.

All other aspects of the vehicle go well, starts well. smooth gear changes etc.

jojo76, Mar 3, 11:54am
Metal plate as back of engine has "3S-FE" :(

kazbanz, Mar 3, 12:18pm
Bugga . Ok then I totally agree with Franc.
That said. I see no harm in dumping the oil and putting in a decent quality oil of the correct grade/viscosity and see what happens.

franc123, Mar 3, 9:46pm
Gee I'm surprised, you know that it's too old to have the snoozy 1800 engine being a '98 it's a 1st generation that was exclusively fitted with the 3SFE or GE.

kazbanz, Mar 4, 1:06pm
Honest injun-I sold 2 98/99 rav 4 three door front wheel drives with the 1800cc 1ZZ-FE motor. I remember one clearly because it was the last car I sold working for the yard I now own. but 17-18 years ago

saki, Mar 4, 2:24pm
Dont worry about just drive it, normal servicing with the correct oil and a quality filter, it'l last for ever.

kiwilandchch, Mar 12, 3:21pm
dont iu mean 3 SFE

intrade, Mar 12, 3:37pm
they already posted its a 3s-fe like i said it probably is.

jojo76, Mar 20, 12:21pm
Sorry to bump this back up again, he is going to just run it till it dies.
So there is conflicting info on the internet as to what oil to use. What what you recommend?

intrade, Mar 20, 12:41pm
i already told you what oil it dont matter cheapest brand name oil mineral never use sinthetic SN OR SM grade and mix diesel only oil just before oil changes as topup. valvoline penrite what ever is on sale. if it meets the specs above.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
this is only for old cars modern cars need to meet manufacturer specified specs. modern oils will damage old engines like a dpf oil will nuke a old diesel or petrol. valvoline diesel extra is for old engines and what my old diesel run on. tjis oil would block the dpf in my passat who needs ultra expensive oil to not go nuclear.

lythande1, Mar 20, 6:45pm
Oh what crap.
We have always had Toyota (since leaving the old UK cars) and have always done the maintenance, all of it, not just engine oil.
They are reliable. because they were made that way.
Sure you can kill anything if you're stupid.
Like the one down the road (Not in a Toyota) who blew his motor while in a stationary position making clouds of smoke.
Or ignoring all the fluids. or such.
Just answer the lady.

lythande1, Mar 20, 6:47pm
Additives are mostly wishful thinking.
Do an oil change, do a full maintenance. and if it still actually burns oil, well time for another car or an expensive motor transplant. but it can go like that for ages before it really dies.
And next time he buys a vehicle check all that before buying.

jojo76, Mar 20, 9:51pm
Sorry intrade you never actually said what grade of oil to use. (Not that I can find.
I appreciate your help, but I was just trying to clarify exactly what oil I was to start off with.

“YOU CHANGE OIL AND FILTER with correct oil for the petrol engine and when it uses oil you add some diesel extra valvoline oil to it”

aprilguy, Mar 20, 10:14pm
``Correct oil'' for the 3S-FE is:

Recommended engine oil SAE 10W-30, 15W-40
Oil type API SH, SJ, SL

tygertung, Mar 21, 7:32am
What about some 20-50 if it is worn out?

gph1961, Mar 21, 7:48am
lets put a stop to this
the thing is knacked
move on to repair/replace

intrade, Mar 21, 9:42am
no thats not how toyota owners own cars.

intrade, Mar 21, 9:43am
yea block the sludge some mor with thicker oil great idea.

jojo76, Mar 21, 9:48am
At the moment it still runs so he wants to keep it till it dies. We have suggested he looks for another but he is so attached to it, he just won’t let it go lol. And gives him more time to save for another.
Edited: we have looked for an engine, but they seem quite hard to come by

pettal, Mar 21, 9:50am
just give it a birthday = new oil and filter , new plugs , new fuel filter , check air filter , throw some petrol system cleaner additive in the tank , check Tyre pressures are all good , little things like battery terminals are clean and tight , but the battery on charge if ya want , give it a wash and wax etc --

intrade, Mar 21, 10:03am
we have looked for an engine, but they seem quite hard to come by
this is because toyota owners all treated there cars exactly like this= cheapskate ownership. i am just glad the new ones blow up on them now.
its why i said you can only buy a low milage fresh import for 10k+ and look after it if you want reliable motoring.
so why are fresh imports better because japan enforces emission laws and a unserviced car will guaranteed fail emission testing.

hotelcarpet, Mar 21, 10:54am
Again it won't matter which oil one sticks in a smoky engine aye,,, Likely the front 8 exhaust valve stem seals have hardened and become unseated Toyota make such good clearance tolerances that any other engine smoke would be clouding behind the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8WTTfkyW8g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzXWPOeInM
So many have done this fix - to better gas mileage and ECM reading.

hotelcarpet, Mar 21, 11:04am
Most mid 90's on & Rav 4 have an exhaust Catalytic Converter, N Z new also car's.