EVs will be cheaper than combustion cars by 2027

Page 1 / 6
cjohnw, May 19, 7:59am

harm_less, May 19, 8:26am
No surprises there, and whereas that article largely relates to the purchase price the total cost of ownership including fuel/energy and running costs will reach parity a lot sooner than 2027.

alowishes, May 19, 8:41am
Gosh, SOMEBODY certainly has a good crystal ball to see that far ahead!

I wonder if it will forecast how far ahead that Covid is fully under control?

strobo, May 19, 8:48am
For one price parity and cheaper than another type are not the same ! None sense article !Ie buyers having the same purchasing power across global markets. . ie where a vehicle in a cheaper market , sells in a market where prices are higher.In real terms there are too many factors/variables in certain surrounding environments will determine real cost of ev in different country's such as operating costs and availability or supply of fuels ,electricity to keep up with demand ! ,in different ways ! This determines whether an EV vehicle becomes cheaper than diesel/petrol/lpg/cng/ etc Those things can't be predicted in years to come fgs! The whole ev craze has gone mad they are just like fidget toys that will be gone sooner than ya think.!

franc123, May 19, 9:01am
Greenie propaganda, NZ is going to be amongst the last places thats going to have access to cheap NEW electric vehicles,because other countries facing earlier ICE bans with Govt subsidies will be paying more for them. Its amusing these low IQ politicians are running scared that NZ will be a dumping ground for ICE vehicles if they don't implement an end date for their importation, WRONG, it will be a dumping ground for used EV's from Japan or UK more like as per the status quo, once that battery f#$kometer aka your state of health gets low enough, on the boat to NZ,make it their problem, someone will buy it if its cheap enough. 2027 lol thats cuckoo land.

nice_lady, May 19, 9:10am
There are sooooo many localities in the world where the electric cars just wont take off as such. Reasons of practicalities, cost of infrastructure, ability of the population to be able to afford to dump their old ICE's. Yeah nah - little old NZ is just trying too damn hard to be the big guy on the world stage. The Greenies are visualising our lovely bit of paradise as one of the successes BUT even here it's going to be difficult to provide the required infrastructure, (power charging capabilities), to handle this already. We're going to need a few more 'green' sources of Electricity for a start. And WTF are we going to do with 3 million or more ICE cars ? The whole thing just doesn't make sense. Personally I think it's 'Virtue signalling' on a political platform and scale. Good F*ing luck to them - the Govt couldn't even build some new houses they promised. Jeez.

apollo11, May 19, 9:19am
Yeah, so many parts of the world have an electrical grid that looks like this:
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/tangle-of-power-lines-on-power-pole-picture-id520432404
Someone would be brave enough to plug their ev into that?

tygertung, May 19, 9:20am
Cars don't last that long so as they are replaced, they could be replaced by electric ones, however it is better to get away from the crutch of single occupant cars and move towards more efficient forms of transport.

A lot of countries use very few cars.

randsdyson, May 19, 9:41am
We have lots of cars on the roads that are 20, 30 plus years old. And you say cars do not last a long time. Please name the countries that do not have many cars. I like the convenience of having my own car. I can go where I want when I want.

cjohnw, May 19, 9:48am
Well, he is correct that some countries have fewer cars per population.
Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Burma spring to mind.
A lot of the smaller Asian and African counties have more bikes than cars.

curlcrown, May 19, 9:50am
A lot of government interference mentioned in the article. If indeed they do become better than ICEs in most people eyes they will become mainstream without regulation and subsidies.

intrade, May 19, 9:57am
I did not read the article but the only way that could work is if there is a huge charge like for smoking and the money used to subsidise electric cars.
Unless you see one news publish it you can be sure its just fake news by the manipulating media communist Mafia in this country

intrade, May 19, 9:58am
As good as no one had a car in china 98% was riding push bikes 30 years ago

tygertung, May 19, 4:07pm
If you go to Vietnam pretty much everyone was riding small motorbikes. Similar in Indonesia. I went to Hong Kong and most people used public transport.

I haven't been to any other countries in SE Asia so couldn't comment.

In the Netherlands I am told 50% of people just ride bicycles, although the weather is real shithouse there compared with NZ.

tygertung, May 19, 4:08pm
I would hazard to say that once a car reaches 30+ years old it is approaching end of life. And there are rumours that the newer cars are not as easy to repair as some of the slightly older ones.

tamarillo, May 19, 4:18pm
the research quoted is from Bloomberg so that stuffs your argue meant

harm_less, May 19, 6:48pm
As intrade has stated he never read the linked article so he wouldn't have a clue. Just putting his mouth into gear before his brain was engaged as my late Dad used to put it.

ian1990, May 19, 9:49pm
Those Greenies are having a laugh, try 2040 until battery storage capacity production can even start making a impact on parity.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/recharging-economies-the-ev-battery-manufacturing-outlook-for-europe

Best thing for NZ is to concentrate on Plug in Hybrids, no reason we need to go full EV for at least 20 years. PHEVS should deliver 75 drop in emissions at the tailpipe.

Give me a PHEV with the following:
V6 200 kw petrol engine with variable cylinder ignition, 500 km range.
100 kw electric plug in with battery range of 100 km.
2 ton towing.
Package the above in SUV / wagon format with 2 cubic meters cargo with the seats foddered down.

The one vehicle can be used for the inner city commute with zero emissions while still maintaining the Kiwi outdoor lifestyle towing boat / camping trailer on holiday.

Edit, important bit, the above only uses one quarter of a battery when compared to a full EV.

apollo11, May 19, 9:53pm
Remember that the objective of the greens is to prise your fingers off the steering wheel completely, hence the rush to roll out autonomous taxis.

socram, May 19, 10:01pm
We'd also have way more bikes if:

a) you couldn't get a car licence until 17 but a bike licence at 16 (moped at 15 as per the UK)

b) it wasn't so darned expensive to rego a bike

c) there were more dedicated parking places for bikes

d) but most of all, our population density wasn't so sparse.

Watching the traffic in a Vietnam city is a real hoot, but it wouldn't work here. Can't see the boys in blue turning a blind eye to carrying a fridge and the mother in law on a Honda 90.along with the family parrot and a sack of spuds.

When car manufacturers say they won't be producing ICE cars after a certain date, then buyers of new cars aren't going to have much choice.

ian1990, May 19, 10:21pm
Are they going to go out of business?

Battery production is severely limited over the next decade.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/recharging-economies-the-ev-battery-manufacturing-outlook-for-europe

apollo11, May 19, 10:28pm
Think I'll hang on to my 200kg of copper scrap for a while, see if the price doubles again lol.

harm_less, May 21, 1:25pm
Interesting appraisal of Ford's new EV pick-up, EVs in general and the current state of play in the renewable energy field: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/05/20/why-fords-f-150-lightning-could-elevate-green-energy-culture-wars/

gazzat22, May 25, 10:09am
Most of the"Gweenies" mouthing off are MP,s on fat salaries and all sorts of fringe benefits but they still fly on emission producing planes but thats ok because its them not us.

keytag, May 25, 6:40pm
When you buy petrol at $2 per litre, $1 is for the fuel and $1 is tax.

With an average car giving (about) 10kms of travel per litre, this equals 10c per kilometre in wear and tear tax.

Currently the government receives about $2 billion per year from fuel fossil tax which is invested in new roads and repairs. If ICE’s decline, so does this revenue. Does it matter if the government loses $2 billion in tax used for road maintenance ?

EV's are only paying for the electricity used to recharge, they pay no other taxes, they ride on the roads and produce the same wear and tear and they ride for free.

A 60kW EV costs $15 of electricity to recharge and gives 500kms of travel.

If the EV paid the same road wear and tear tax at 10c/km then the real cost is $15 electricity + $50 wear and tear tax, = $65 for 500 kms which equals an energy cost of 13c/km.

Which can be compared to an ICE energy cost of about 20c/km, which is cheaper but not as big as some numbers thrown around without the same road taxes factored in.

Eventually the EV road tax will likely be GPS monitored and billed per km.