Insurance company wants to write off my 96 Corolla

Page 2 / 4
franc123, Jun 9, 5:56pm
What figure is it actually insured for?

kazbanz, Jun 9, 5:59pm
Just a thought based on what you have been updated to. Tell your/their insurance co to sod off. If its not a WOF fail then just carry on driving and live with the dent. -Playing devils advocate because you feel the car can't be replaced.

aprilguy, Jun 9, 6:12pm
Haha, yes I have been sucked into tying to save an old car with 330k on the clock. I don't love the car, I just hate unnecessary waste.
Franc the car is not insured except for 3rd party; the insurer has a policy with the lady who backed into my parked car and admitted liability.

curlcrown, Jun 9, 6:32pm
You’ve effectively been offered $2000 for a 1996 Corolla done 330000km. You’re on to a winner. Please don’t think I’m being rude but you’d be foolish not to accept it.

cjohnw, Jun 9, 6:43pm
Agree.
A 25 year old car with 300,000kms with third party insurance - there is not a lot of wriggle room.
Only my opinion of course.

trogedon, Jun 9, 6:51pm
We can't drive everywhere with the mother n law!

intrade, Jun 9, 6:56pm
If you get 2 grand for the damage and you fix it your self if its still wofable then that's what i be asking for. not a lot of people service there toyota its why i would only buy a fresh import as it can not meet emissions on tailpipe unless its cheated or serviced to pass. I would assume japan has emission testing on all there cars.

tamarillo, Jun 9, 7:07pm
Op, are you insured? You say you’re dealing with their insurance which rather implies you have not even got any insurance. Rather changes your rights.

joanie04, Jun 9, 7:07pm
If take the money the insurance company will then deregister it as they own it. That is what I understand from reading the other posts.

sr2, Jun 9, 7:15pm
LOL; you can lead a horse to water. !

aprilguy, Jun 9, 7:16pm
Tamarillo, I have only 3rd party insurance. I'm dealing with the insurer of the lady who reversed into my parked car and admitted liability.
Joanie04 Yes that is the ungenerous offer so far: here is $2000 and we take the car, deregister and scrap it. They have refused any deal involving me keeping the car with a cash settlement. Let's see what happens after panelbeater #2 talks to them. He said there's no safety issue with the dent and his quote will be much lower.

aprilguy, Jun 9, 7:26pm
To those suggesting take the $2k; I would not have sold the car for $2k if someone offered it to me on the street; in many ways it suits me perfectly and it is far nicer to drive than some of the later model lemons I have test driven lately. I would like to achieve at least 400,000km in it. Also I don't like the scare tactics being used by the insurer. Of course if I buy a new car tomorrow I will grab the $2k if still available!

kazbanz, Jun 9, 7:51pm
Under normal circumstances I would suggest getting valuations of the car by those in the trade. Dealers etc.
BUT Im sorry dude but no one anywhere is going to value that car at more than 2k.
heck Im a dealer and in tidy condition I would struggle to get $1500 for it .
My honest advice to you is either walk away and enjoy your (dented) car. OR accept the 2k offer and buy another Corolla for the same money.

cjohnw, Jun 9, 7:57pm
Talk about conflicted!
You basically have two options:
1. Find a repairer who can quote to fix it less than the figure the insurance company have deemed to be uneconomic. (Seems like you have done this.)
2. Accept the settlement and find a new car.

Bear in mind that any insurance company will take any lesser figure to settle the claim, therefore once you present the lower repair quote the $2000 settlement figure could well be withdrawn.

buyit59, Jun 9, 7:58pm

aprilguy, Jun 9, 8:01pm
Yes I realise $2k is more than I would get for it elsewhere. The VTNZ manager has almost fixed the big dent just by popping it out with his hand. A bit of cutting compound to remove the white paint and it will be barely visible!

wayned, Jun 9, 8:11pm
I can't see why you don't push hard for a cash settlement & keep the car. Making sure they sign up that it won't get de registered. Many have done it before, sure many will do it in the future. Just have to be stern and tell them, you'll take ? as a cash settlement & arrange the repair yourself.

aprilguy, Jun 9, 8:18pm
Wayned, when I tried for cash settlement today, the argument was that the car was so dangerous with its dented panel that deregistration was the only safe solution. Not clear if they will stick to that view now after I got opposing opinions. But yes I want it repaired and them to pay one way or another.

kazbanz, Jun 9, 9:02pm
not cutters. Use 2k thinners. Paint transfer will wipe off using a cloth wet with 2k

rpvr, Jun 9, 9:03pm
Ok, say you accept $2000 and they get the car. How much will they get for the car as a wreck? They don't give them away, they normally go through the damaged vehicle auctions.

gblack, Jun 10, 8:06am
Quick check on TradeMe suggests that $2k is about the right for a 25+ year old Corolla with 350k on the clock.

Even if fixed for less (like $1500), it makes no sense to pour 75% of the value of the car into bog and paint. Even then, concern might be that the (third party only insurance) car could be stolen, crashed or die shorten shortly and the opportunity to upgrade is gone.

Aprilguy knows it is a reasonable market value offer and that they will need to replace it sometime anyway, so personally would take the opportunity to upgrade. Take the money, spend a bit more and get something at least 5 - 10years newer with ABS and airbags. Cars have got safer since 96

bitsy_boffin, Jun 10, 9:53am
Remember YOU have no contract, or agreement, or obligation, to deal with the other party's insurance company, nor to accept any offer from them which is not satisfactory to you.

So imagine that you are dealing with the other party directly, and the other party made this offer directly, what would you say, say that.

You have quotes which show it can be repaired. It's your car, it's your choice to get it repaired rather than scrap, they damaged it, it's their place to pay for the repairs. You have been more than fair in getting quotes for repair.

Your reasons for wanting it to be repaired instead of written off are not material, maybe it holds special intangible value to you, maybe you just really really like it, who cares, your car, they damaged, they pay to fix.

gazzat22, Jun 10, 10:02am
+1.An ideal courtesy car for a panelbeater.If its in otherwise good nick get the apprentice to knock out the dent,sounds like no paint required.

phoenix22, Jun 10, 10:15am
the insurer won't deregister your car. And it is likely if you ask to keep it, that they will let you. Just bear in mind, if you have been cash settled as UTR, you will likely not be able to insure the vehicle again for anything more than third party only cover,

gazzat22, Jun 10, 1:02pm
Just a thought. Ring the company that it is insured with even though is only 3rd party etc.See what they have to say particularly as other party has admitted fault.