Good 4WD channel on YouTube

budgel, Jul 17, 2:53pm
Check out where this guy takes his trailer!

https://youtu.be/bcmiKsBxPMw

sr2, Jul 17, 3:26pm
Why didn't he just poke the bike in the back of his Jeep with the hatch open?

s_nz, Jul 17, 3:41pm
Stunning scenery on that channel.

Some stuff is pretty jarring coming from this side of the world.from a safey perspective.

As a commercial operator it seems a bit odd that snatch recoveries are their go to, rather than winch recoveries which are less likely to break vehicles or hurt people.

They rarely seem to do thinks like airing down the tires on clients vehicles, or digging ramps out when trapped in sand, preferring an aggressive kinetic recovery.

They frequently do snatch recoveries off tow-balls (despite the risk of the towball separating from the towbar). Wouldn't be hard to carry a proper recovery hitch receiver to swap onto clients vehicles?

They never seem to use dampers to reduce the risk of people getting hurt of the recovery gear breaks.

With the trailer, it (judging by the tires), looks built for off road use, yet it has a standard ball hitch (rather than than a pintal which can accommodate more articulation), and the jockey "wheel" hang down in a postion where it got smashed up at 16:23.

Videos out of Aussie with people doing recreational off roading seem to take the whole thing more seriously.

budgel, Jul 17, 8:48pm
I have watched several of his videos, the snatch recoveries tend to be because in a sandy treeless landscape it is hard to anchor the recovery vehicle. The snatchrope he uses is a special bungy type of which I forget the brand name.
In another video he uses winches when he has something to anchor to.
While he does use his drawbar for pulling, it is custom built for the purpose.
I've seen a couple of his recoveries where an inflatable airbag would have made the job a lot easier.
I posted the video because I was amazed where he got into and back with that trailer. His methods seem to work for him and his customers.

s_nz, Dec 22, 11:01am
A pital style receiver seems to be used on the jeep for snatch recoveries. Those look super solid, and the failure mode is likely to be bending open and releasing the snatch rope.

The main risk comes from the other end, where the recovery rope seems to be typically hooked over a standard tow ball. This is widely considered to be poor practice in this part of the world due to the risk of the towbar snapping off and firing into the other vehicle.

The stretchy recovery rope looks great for reducing shock loads, and max load. The increased stretch means more stored energy, which means more stored energy, which is great for the recovery, but increases risk if something fail's.

Clearly Matt is great at getting vehicles unstuck, and that was an place place to tow a trailer into. I'm just a bit surprised about the casual approach to safety, for a commercial operation.