Cars that are never seen any more.

Page 2 / 7
muzz67, Aug 14, 7:17pm
Very nice 125TC on TM at moment. Father in law had on when I first met him, gotta say it went bloody well!

yellowsubmarine, Aug 14, 8:04pm
Holden in Australia "tuned" the suspension for some reason, they were not the same in NZ or Japan.
They mostly rusted out before they stopped running much like any 80's Japanese car, i'm sure they mixed salt into the steel or something.

timmo1, Aug 15, 2:12pm
I had one of those briefly. bought for $900 with the 2.6 V6 option which was pretty underpowered for that size of car. it smelt like sweat and had stuffed rear steering which meant it threw the car sideways when driving down the road. Fun.

elect70, Aug 15, 2:53pm
The problem is they cost too much to fix , even rust they consider structural require certified repair at mega $ . Engine rebuild $3000 + so scrap it & buy something else . Poms are worse they dont seem to drive anything more than 10 years old .

jumpingstone, Aug 16, 6:30pm
Nissan Laurel c34

phalanax, Aug 16, 6:53pm
Saw a De Lorean yesterday,it was driving along Papamoa beach rd.

geoff_m, Aug 17, 4:47pm
Mitsubishi mirage. I learnt to drive in 9ne of the original wedge ones. Hideous when new and haven't imogen with age.
CF Bedford Van's. I had one around 1993. 10 years old and almost unwarrentable due to rust. They all rusted out behind the back wheels as the floor pan and sides didnt meet so water got fired in from the back wheels into the body so they rusted from the inside out. I bogged it up until it got to bad. could believe how much better the 1988 Hiace that replaced it was to drive, with much better economy and quieter. I still have it and even the old Hiace isn't as common now, given they were almost every van on the road.
Original LDV and transit Van's are also rare, mainly because they were rubbish when new. My father ran a fleet of Transits in the 1970s laying carpets and the oil pump drive was standard maintenance replacement item after some seized when they rounded off.

karamelcorn, Aug 17, 11:08pm
A Renault 16, had one for a while, funky car, also owned an Austin freeway ( a big landcrab) ive not seen another for years, my father had an old Austin A40 devon when i was a kid and he cut the body off the back made a wooden flat deck for it an closed off the "cab" with plywood, i got the back half of the body for a hut, still a few early honda citys about - especially in Oamaru

stevo2, Aug 18, 6:35am
Some of the more uncommon vehicles I had were Leyland 15 van. https://en.wheelsage.org/leyland/twenty_pickup_truck/leyland_15_van/pictures/fxoyiy/ I still shudder when I think back to what a horrible thing that was to drive. Bedford CA van with the sliding drivers and passengers doors. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/1970_Bedford_CA_Van_%2815675175546%29.jpg You could hook them open and drive around. That was cool. One of the more uncommon cars I have owned was a 78 Chrysler Alpine Limited Edition (Designed by Talbot) it was a multicultural car being par British, part French and part Spanish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simca_1307 It went like a cut cat but wasnt great around town. Sold it after 9 weeks

mrfxit, Aug 18, 3:54pm
Been a long time since I last saw an Austin Mini van/ station wagon.
Brother had 1 in the early 80's
Think they were called a "countryman"?

zak410, Aug 18, 4:37pm
The countryman was the one with the exterior wooden trim ?

gunna-1, Aug 31, 1:52am
Old early 80s mazda capella,s and those funny looking ones with the bigger lights at the front, cant remember what they were called, and the older 79 mazda 626, i hadent noticed not seeing one on the road for over ten years untill getting bored and searching youtube for paddoc bashing videos of every 80s car i could think of, an 83 mazda capella was the only jap car i have owned in my life for a few months because i got it for next to nothing, it was tidy with mags and i scored a free exhaust for it of someone and it got a warrent and i couldent muster 600$ for it in the early 2000s lol, the 1979 626 i wouldent mind owning but wasnt motivated enough to buy one before they were eather gone or to expensive, and another on my bucket list to own for a short while was an 83 toyota creceda, i,me not a fan of them by any stretch of the imagination, but the one i drove once would spin up super easy, it was an injected 6cyl, the only reason i put a battery in it was because of the motor, but man did it fly, with its broken throttle peddle with the plastic bit missing and hole in the exhaust, now they arnt cheep anymore.

gunna-1, Aug 31, 3:02am
I got more than i bargained for with the triumph 2000s 2500s, i had a 2500tc that needed back axle shafts so i advertised for parts and got two parts cars with reg on hold that were covered with green stuff untouched for five years after the ladys husband died, but both were autos and mine was a manual, the problem was i couldent wreck eather of the autos as the bodys were rust free and one was immaculate with nothing more than gunked up carbs but the other had a blown motor, and allso had mint black vinyl seats and a spare motor to go with it, and both were a damn slight better than my abused 2500tc, that had a crook valve and drove like a bucket of s#$t because of the clutch, so i sold the 2500tc and sold the other two to someone elce, but the one with the black interior got smashed up outside where it went, i wish i had kept that one and put a motor in it because it had a nice dark looking woodgrain dash, i think it was abit earlier than the other ones, but not a mk1, with chrome speedo rings instead of the painted ones on the lighter colored dash ones, i,de kill to have that back again, it needed the most work but it would make an easy buck if i still had it, it was a nice looking triumph.

muzz67, Aug 31, 8:31am
Regularly see a guy commuting in a black 60's Renault Dauphine, near Nelson. Seems to zip along at a good speed in it.
Neighbor had one when I was about 4years old,, asked him what the grill in front of the rear wheel was.
He said it was a 'wigwam for a goose's bridle', and of course I took it as the actual name for it.

marte, Aug 31, 10:38pm
I think the VW W8 is just a V8, but each conrod is a V shape, sorta like a Harley's, and pushes 2 pistons.
Each bank of pistons on each side of the engine is two rows of 4 cylinders in that bank, each row of 4 is slightly offset from each other & the heads not flat, but a inverted V shape & sits over the 2 rows of cylinders.

Neat idea, you have to try these things out to see if they work.
Sometimes they do, and sometimes.

Mazda capella? Great car, Really cheap on gas, didn't break down, the only car that I have never been stopped by the Police in, really good because the whole time I had it, it didn't have a WOF or rego.
The Airconditioning was amazing and I could just throw it into & around corners while it sat perfect on the straights.
Sold it for $50. Worth every cent.

gunna-1, Nov 24, 2:52am
The air conditioning reminds me of the 86 fairmont i got for 300$ it still had 6 by 9 speakers still in the rear parcel tray, aircon, four speed auto, multipoint injection system from the 80s that looks like something out of starwars, and so did the dash. at first glance i wasnt keen, but i was glad when i drove it out of the auction room, it was last minuit bidding without looking at it, a new set of tyres and it was legal, one tyre had steel bands pokeing out it was lucky i got it over the hill and home without getting stopped, someone just wanted it gone i guess, rare as now, the motor was alot more peppy than a standard carby 4.1 when you put your foot down.

drog, Nov 24, 8:19am
Up and down, in and out sort of sideways?

tygertung, Nov 24, 8:26am
Singer Vogue.

Talbot Alpine.

saxman99, Nov 24, 9:44am
No, it’s really much more simple.

https://youtu.be/df4vG67CPsI

poppy62, Nov 24, 6:15pm
No, it’s really much more simple.

https://youtu.be/df4vG67CPsI

saxman99 (223 223 positive feedback) 9:44 am, Tue 24 Nov #165

C'mon mate! that's much too simple for some on here. Octo cams and rear camchains etc., You can't just come along and Bust the Myths.

saxman99, Nov 24, 6:22pm
Sorry everyone, as you were. Magic fairy dust & V-shaped Conrods it is.

marte, Nov 24, 7:49pm
Nah, you were right, I got the impression from a video that must have been a different manufacturer, basically theirs was a conrod connected to the side of the conrod, so two pistons where one would be on a V8 & one of the condrods drove onto the side of the the other main conrod.
I think the design was probably a way to get around the VW patents.

The whole concept was a great idea, untill they actually started building it.
For a supercar, yes, standard road driven vehicle? nah.

kingfisher21, Nov 24, 8:13pm
Mitsubishi Starion

rjgmjs, Nov 25, 12:18pm
Toyota Cavalier, Ford Tauranus lol

gubay, Nov 25, 6:33pm
Fiat 850.