Lost 4wd in terrano

houseofdad, Nov 11, 2:13pm
hadn't used 4wd drive for ages, got bogged in first 3m of sand on the beach.
4wd not engaging for some reason. lights on dash say in 4wd, hi low lever in right place.guy that towed me out could see front wheels were not spinning when truck bogged in sand

tony9, Nov 11, 2:27pm
Front hubs not locked?

houseofdad, Nov 11, 2:32pm
no manual hub locks to turn if that is what you meaning, auto hub lock, the hubs probably not locking though lol

budgel, Nov 11, 3:02pm
Your best bet is to find a forum that covers your model. Auto locking hubs needing a clean and re-lube is a possibility.

houseofdad, Nov 11, 5:20pm
Ok.
It's a 91 diesel auto transmission

bwg11, Nov 11, 5:51pm
Best plan is to replace the hubs with manual hubs. The standard Nissan auto hubs often will unlock in reverse. If you drive into a bog, have second thoughts and try to reverse out you will probably only have 2WD.

EDIT: I see AlliExpress has manual hubs for $32 US each.

gpg58, Nov 11, 8:02pm
Agree, auto hubs are annoying sometimes, as if memory is correct, they have to unlock then relock when you change from forwards to reverse?
So potentially you have your rear wheels already spinning, before you get any drive from the front end.
But another reason to prefer manual ones, is if you have them unlocked, you can use low range on sealed roads, without getting any windup, great for backing trailer's up steep drives etc.

houseofdad, Nov 12, 8:03am
Ta for the tips re manual hubs and Alibaba.

Any ideas what my current problem could be ?
Or the straight out answer it's the auto hubs ?

bwg11, Nov 12, 9:29am
I would check that the driveshaft to the front diff is actually rotating when 4WD is engaged, that would rule out any problem with the transfer case or linkages. Be aware that only one hub has to not engage to lose drive. Start by stripping, cleaning, inspecting and reassembling both hubs and go from there. If you are planning any serious off-roading, changing to manual hubs is highly recommended.

houseofdad, Oct 25, 9:55pm
Ta BW, use it or lose it.